Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Muslims V Christians V Satanists V Conspiracy theorists V ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
You can selectively group unrelated events together as much as you like, but what's the point? Why focus on this and not, say, Muslims killing Hindus because they're Hindus (and vice versa), or Catholics killing Protestants because they're Protestants, or Buddhists killing Muslims because they're Muslims? It just feels like another chapter in the terribly boring "Islam is bad" chronicles, and just gives further ammunition to the F Off We're Full crowd who are thirsty for any example of a Muslim person doing something terrible anywhere.

Why focus on this instead of them? Simple. Seen any examples of those other situations lately?

The catholics v protestants back in ireland wasn't actually religious anyway, as Morrigu explained.

There's plenty of people who consider themselves Muslim and manage to fit in to western society just fine. I feel sorry for them because the basics of their religion just doesn't play well with others.

I like that Australia is a multicultural and tolerant society. Fundamentalist Christianity has a very weak grip here compared to the USA, we're just not a religious lot.

Now the potential weakness and strength of Islam is the same thing, it doesn't have organised churches and a structure like the major Christian ones. Anyone can pretty much call himself a preacher and open up shop. So what we actually need is to get the Muslim population in Australia to reject the fundamentalist nutjobs and go with the moderate ones. If that happens, all will be fine and everyone will coexist.

Stuis last two sentences says it all

Just let us know your with us, not against us

And we're with them not against them and need to let them know that, provided they try to fit in and don't try to work against our way of life.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Gods own country.

....if they don't like tell them to piss off...,yada yada yada...

My parents came from WW2 & you know what, it was Christians in Europe murdering my & their extended family & friends.

Dad having a shower in Bonegilla (near Wodonga) in 1950 & there were Lithuanian's with SS tattooed under their arms - fine upstanding blonde Christians - did I mention murderers? They were here because the Cold War was on & any anti communist from Baltic countries were welcome

Now can we get past the simplistic arguments here about Christians = good, Mohammadens = bad.

This stupid nonsensical idiocy about David being an apologist. David is only an apologist regarding thoughtful non conformity (even though he's so wrong on the fat lady singing ) So stop pulling the chain, stop the sweeping generalizations whether your parents came from Greece, Macedonia, England, Croatia, Serbia, One Tree Hill or Half Moon bay.

All except for the Nihilists, Zoroastrians & Upper Mongolians. Don't get me started on that lot....

Lets hear a rousing rendition of ostraya, ostraya ostraya, oi, oi oi & oi (vey)

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
well said mate, this is the best country in the world. my grandparents came over from Macedonia with nothing, worked hard and always loved this country. I have lived in a few countries, Australia is the best.

I never realised you had a Macedonian background. My grandparents also immigrated to Australia in the 1950s and 1960s from Macedonia as well.

No arguments here that Australia is the best country to live in.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:28 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Gods own country.

....if they don't like tell them to piss off...,yada yada yada...Now can we get past the simplistic arguments here about Christians = good, Mohammadens = bad.

This stupid nonsensical idiocy about David being an apologist. David is only an apologist regarding thoughtful non conformity (even though he's so wrong on the fat lady singing ) So stop pulling the chain, stop the sweeping generalizations whether your parents came from Greece, Macedonia, England, Croatia, Serbia, One Tree Hill or Half Moon bay.

Here friggin here on all counts wpt
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
You can selectively group unrelated events together as much as you like, but what's the point? Why focus on this and not, say, Muslims killing Hindus because they're Hindus (and vice versa), or Catholics killing Protestants because they're Protestants, or Buddhists killing Muslims because they're Muslims? It just feels like another chapter in the terribly boring "Islam is bad" chronicles, and just gives further ammunition to the F Off We're Full crowd who are thirsty for any example of a Muslim person doing something terrible anywhere.

Why focus on this instead of them? Simple. Seen any examples of those other situations lately?

The catholics v protestants back in ireland wasn't actually religious anyway, as Morrigu explained.

But why not hold other sectarian conflicts to the same standards? So many examples of what we know as 'religious' conflict have nationalistic, cultural and most of all economic baggage. The Troubles in Ireland were just one example of this; most sectarian conflicts involving Muslims are no different.

As for whether I've seen other religious conflicts lately, of course I have. Here's the long-standing Buddhist persecution of Muslims in Myanmar I referred to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Rakhine_State_riots

Meanwhile, the situation between Buddhist Sri Lankans and Hindu Tamils is as dire as ever:

http://www.cfr.org/terrorist-organizations-and-networks/sri-lankan-conflict/p11407

And here's a recent attack on Muslims in India:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2014_Assam_violence

And of course we hardly need to go into the ancient history books to remember the horrors of the Balkan conflicts, in which Catholics, Orthodox Christians and Bosnian Muslims slaughtered each other. The general consensus is that the Muslims got the worst of it by far.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:37 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

But why not hold other sectarian conflicts to the same standards? So many examples of what we know as 'religious' conflict have nationalistic, cultural and most of all economic baggage. The Troubles in Ireland were just one example of this; most sectarian conflicts involving Muslims are no different.

As for whether I've seen other religious conflicts lately, of course I have. Here's the long-standing Buddhist persecution of Muslims in Myanmar I referred to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Rakhine_State_riots

Meanwhile, the situation between Buddhist Sri Lankans and Hindu Tamils is as dire as ever:

http://www.cfr.org/terrorist-organizations-and-networks/sri-lankan-conflict/p11407

And here's a recent attack on Muslims in India:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2014_Assam_violence

And of course we hardly need to go into the ancient history books to remember the horrors of the Balkan conflicts, in which Catholics, Orthodox Christians and Bosnian Muslims slaughtered each other. The general consensus is that the Muslims got the worst of it by far.

How many of those are in the news this week?

The reason these things get posted is because they are happening NOW not 10, 20, 100 or 1000 years ago.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:41 am

None of the conflicts I mentioned (apart from the Balkan War) happened 10, 20 or 1000 years ago. They are all ongoing and likely to kick off again at any moment. But you've never heard about it here, because those are not the right kind of violent sectarian incidents.

I don't think this incident teaches us anything about the nature of Islam. It may well tell us something about the impact of poverty and geopolitical struggles on religious belief and the extreme acts it can provoke.

But that's a nuanced discussion that is almost impossible to have in the current climate of hysteria, and I fear that this thread only fosters that hysteria. We've already got two of our resident Islamophobes all over it like seagulls on a potato chip, and I can only imagine Skids is on the Kokoda Trail with Pa Marmo, or else I'm sure we'd be reading their valuable contributions too.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:45 am

Ah, it's the topic of the hour. I know; it's the only way to get threads to extend to multiple pages these days. Someone's children have to be thrown overboard for the cause.

David, keep up the sanity despite the ignorant mobreplete with their lack of world experience, folk tales of how the human brain works, delusions of superior morality, and willful refusal to adjust for the positive bias of the dribble of news which reaches their earstrying to make you seem the unreasonable one.

It's the old "right by circular bum slapping" technique; if enough people with the same poisonous, cringeworthy comprehension of humanity bum slap each other frequently enough, in time they start building a memory of making sense and being right, even if what they're saying bears as much scrutiny of the tale of Joseph Smith and the golden plates.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:49 am

pietillidie wrote:
in time they start building a memory of making sense and being right, even if what they're saying bears as much scrutiny of the tale of Joseph Smith and the golden plates.

Yep. Confirmation bias, in a nutshell.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:39 am

3 vs the ignorant mob!

Hmmmmm

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:58 am

The Nazi's didn't commit there atrocities in the name of religion though Islamic extremists do and justify there violence because of there beliefs.

There were plenty of God fearing young men amongst the allies who defeated the Nazi's in the end and I'm sure the Jewish survivors were grateful.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:12 am

swoop42 wrote:
The Nazi's didn't commit there atrocities in the name of religion though Islamic extremists do and justify there violence because of there beliefs.

There were plenty of God fearing young men amongst the allies who defeated the Nazi's in the end and I'm sure the Jewish survivors were grateful.

Swoop, stick to jokes.

In Europe Jews were murdered by locals. They didn't come from Mars & land in planet Germany or planet Poland / Hungary / Lithuania / Ukraine / Latvia etc...

There was a context & a history. If it wasn't for the active assistance of the locals (name your country here) who were catholic / Orthodox Russian / Orthodox ....then most of it wouldn't have happened.

The Lithuanians were notorious murderers as were many in Poland, Greece, Hungary etc...good church going folk during this time.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:19 am

schuey07 wrote:
ronrat wrote:
Well in this case Italy has every right to say F off. And hopefully they will. Particularly after the Pope gave an Easter speech about Muslim persecution of Christians within the Muslim communities the Italians will be in no mood to forgive.
The Nigerians are bad news. The largest Muslim nation in the world has had nothing but trouble with them as they have formed gangs in Jakarta involved with extortion and people trafficking. They are not particularly well liked in Thailand either as they are involved in passport scams, forgery and drug smuggling. Unfortunately that whole area in Africa seems to have gone to shit.

Being of Italian decent I can tell you that my relatives OS can't stand the Muslims. All they do is cause trouble once they are in the country. The difference is the Italians aren't scared to tell these people what they think of them. They are not as PC as we are here.

That's odd, I also have friends and family in Italy and they haven't mentioned any of that. They seem more concerned about not being able to get ahead due to political corruption and heavy handed, local mafia. Unrelated of course but most likely, Christians.

laird 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:28 pm

5150 wrote:
Is sportsbet giving odds on this or is it not a real event?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:45 am
Post subject: Re: Muslims V ChristiansReply with quote

how is everybody? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13   

Jump to: