Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Muslims V Christians V Satanists V Conspiracy theorists V ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
I suggest you look a little deeper than Wikipedia before spouting off about someone else not knowing what they're talking about.

From Oxford Islamic Studies:

"For Muslims, the Qur'an is the eternal and indisputable word of God."

"Muslims believe that the Qur'an is the eternal, literal word of God. The original version of the book is described as preserved in heaven or in the mind of God. God's direct speech, indicated by the use of the first person plural (we), appears in much of the Qur'an."

and on and on and on.

http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/opr/t243/e275

You might be thinking of the Hadith, which are what you might call the appendices of the Quran written after the fact, but the book itself is inviolate.

You might also try reading it, something which I am currently doing.

Much easier to spew forth wikipedia bullshit and imply I'm a bigot or call me 'anti Muslim'. Your own bigotry is what is shining through.

bigot
noun:
a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

Class is dismissed, on your way.

Bollocks... Rolling Eyes
http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_1551_1600/quran_many_interpretations.htm
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 pm

From the same article you referenced. Did you just not read all of it or did you cherry pick and leave out the bits that didn't fit your argument?

http://www.oxfordislamicstudies.com/article/opr/t243/e275

Discovering Meaning.

Following the death of the Prophet, the Islamic community grew rapidly, and theological conflicts emerged among the believers. A significant doctrinal dispute occurred during the 700s. At that time, a group of thinkers called Mu'tazili departed from the mainstream Islamic belief that the Qur'an is eternal and uncreated. In their view, God's uniqueness and unity is absolute, and therefore, nothing else besides God could exist for eternity. Consequently, the Mu'tazili taught that while the Qur'an expresses God's eternal will, he created the Qur'an itself at some point in time.

In these and other disagreements about conceptual and practical matters, Muslims looked to the Qur'an for solutions. The correct explanation and interpretation of the sacred text became the focus of a special branch of learning called tafsir. For centuries, Islamic scholars have devoted their careers to interpreting the book's passages. During the medieval period, several Muslim thinkers produced noteworthy commentaries on the Qur'an.

The rise of modernism during the late 1800s brought new influences to Qur'anic studies. By that time, colonial rule had severely undermined the political and cultural authority of the Islamic state and society. Modernists noted that the early followers of Islam were willing to accommodate new ideas in their understanding of the Qur'an and its guidelines for society. As a result, during the Middle Ages, the Islamic societies had thriving centers of learning. The modern reformers advocated a revival of this earlier flexibility as a way to restore dignity and greatness to the Muslim world. They believed that a flexible and continuous reinterpretation of the Qur'an would enable Muslims to reform various aspects of their societies, making them more suited to modern life.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 pm

No I didn't not read all of it or did you cherry pick and leave out the bits that didn't fit your argument. What's not read all of it or did you cherry pick and leave out the bits that didn't fit your argument like?
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Wokko wrote:

"For Muslims, the Qur'an is the eternal and indisputable word of God."

"Muslims believe that the Qur'an is the eternal, literal word of God. The original version of the book is described as preserved in heaven or in the mind of God. God's direct speech, indicated by the use of the first person plural (we), appears in much of the Qur'an."

and on and on and on.

Christians believe exactly the same thing!

http://chalcedon.edu/research/articles/the-battle-for-righteousness-the-application-of-biblical-law-to-secular-society/

Quote:
The battle for righteousness, or justice, must concern all Christians.
Moreover, the only standard, source, or law of justice can be the law-word of God. We face a secular society. It is secular in the sense that it is not governed by priests or clergy, but by laymen, and it is also secular in that it is outside God's Kingdom and seeks a kingdom apart from the Lord.

I want to live in a Kingdom well from any "divine" lord.
Is that wrong and if so why?

wokko wrote:
You might be thinking of the Hadith, which are what you might call the appendices of the Quran written after the fact, but the book itself is inviolate.

No, if you read the link (or my post you have read this)...
Scholars agree that some passages of the Quran leave certain ideas implied rather than stated and that, from the outset, the Quran cautions that some verses are literal in meaning, while others, named 'muhkamat' and 'mutashabihat' are metaphorical in meaning:[4][5]
"It is God who has sent down to you the book: In it are verses clear (muhkamat), they are the foundation of the book, others are unspecific (mutashabihat)." (Quran 3:7)

BTW In a trial by Sharia law, antagonists cite verses in the Quran to justify their point of view and or evidence...
(what is written maybe 'inviolet" but the interpretations aren't!)

wokko wrote:

You might also try reading it, something which I am currently doing.

It's true I haven't read it (dogma is pretty much the same, which-ever way you read it).
I've ready the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam and seen Ben Hur so I figure things could only go downhill from there.

wokko wrote:
Much easier to spew forth wikipedia bullshit and imply I'm a bigot or call me 'anti Muslim'. Your own bigotry is what is shining through.
bigot
noun:
a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.

Wikipedia is a simple research tool, if you have a problem with it
...well that's your problem!
Imply your a bigot?
No no, that's not true either, I was intimating that you are a bigot and the fact that your anti-muslim is as evident as the nose on your face!

btw, if a bigot is a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions (and your not one these persons) how do you square that away with your intolerance of Islam and all thinks even vaguely left of center?
... or are you so special your above petty considerations like personal hypocrisy?

<snip - let's keep the argument focused on the topic, not the individuals arguing it. Thanks, BBMods>

Last edited by 3.14159 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:19 pm

You're again conflating interpretation with NOT believing that what is written in the Quran is the immutable truth, that which Allah told directly to Mohammed and is unquestionable.

Now of course there are phrases that people look at and decide "It means this" or "It means that", that is why I said that "interpretation" was a bad word for me to use initially. Both those people still think that what is written is literally exactly what it says and needs to be followed verbatim. The devil may be in the details for various sects and scholars, but those details are still the 100% literal word of God through his prophet.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:50 am

Wokko, you're tangling yourself in knots here. The last four plus decades of literary studies has debated "the locus of meaning" in the process of "reading" "textual artifacts" for this very reason: There is apparently no one "meaning" in any text, with even the authors not being aware of the full range of their own "meanings".

Indeed, there is no "literal meaning" of anything that isn't substantially imposed by some authority and power centre somewhere, with ancient holy texts being classic cases in point. The very notion of singular meanings is now considered quaint at best within the arts and humanities for good reason: Given what we now know about the big bad world, the history of human nonsense, and our own limitations and delusions, the notion of singular meanings is simply unsustainable.

Thus, when we call people "biblical literalists", we're referring to their bizarre miscomprehension that texts have single, universal meanings, and that they as readers somehow have access to those single, universal meanings.

So, when you say "they're Quranic literalists", you're referring to people's imaginings about the world. That is, textual literalists imagine (a) there can be only one meaning, (b) there is only one meaning, and (c) they miraculously have access to this one meaning. The third clause (c) is required because plainly in the world there are many different interpretations, so the only way to rein those in and prove (a) and (b) is to claim special insight and criticise (or demonise and persecute) different interpretations.

But you can't say ghosts are imaginary and then go on to discuss the evils of ghosts and the need to stop them causing havoc. That makes you the literalist here, and it's not surprising because your need to justify to yourself that you've identified the root of evil in Islam is causing you to grope around for fundamentals that don't exist.

What you ought to be discussing is the social psychiatry of fundamentalism as a general, scientific phenomenon, and seeing if you can find ways of mapping its many and various manifestations usefully.

As I've tried to explain to you, it's the emotional need which pushes people over the edge in their efforts to maintain ideas central to their sense of personal meaning and efficacy which is the psychiatric hallmark of fundamentalism. That excess results in what we call "splitting", very often into the binary categories of good (us) and evil (them).

You have yet again vividly demonstrated your own inner fundamentalist here, and that accords with your attraction to the fundamentalist economics and morality of Libertarianism, that perfect equilibrium where the received, "unfettered" order is the natural balance, and active change and deviation are corrupt and evil imbalances to be rectified by restoring the natural order of things (which miraculously involves putting us back at the head of the order of things with supreme control over others!).

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:29 am

Wokko wrote:
The last Pope disagrees with you.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2011/05/05/pope-insists-bibles-truth-is-found-in-its-totality/

“It is possible to perceive the Sacred Scriptures as the word of God” only by looking at the Bible as a whole, “a totality in which the individual elements enlighten each other and open the way to understanding,” the Pope wrote in a message to the Pontifical Biblical Commission.

“It is not possible to apply the criterion of inspiration or of absolute truth in a mechanical way, extrapolating a single phrase or expression,” the Pope wrote in the message released today at the Vatican.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2011/05/05/pope-insists-bibles-truth-is-found-in-its-totality/

As the Pope is infallible and has a direct line to God, that's the way it is (for Catholics anyway, the largest Christian sect).

Again I ask those of you who want to keep saying "Look at those Christians, they're just as bad" like it invalidates the argument I'm making (even if it were true it doesn't), I ask again, show me all these Christians who are taking the Bible as 100% literal, divine law to be followed and never altered. There is no comparison beyond a purely scriptural one and this isn't a theological discussion but one of practicalities. The Quran was the word of God, directly spoken to Mohammed who spoke those words to others and someone then wrote them down (Mohammed was illiterate I believe). The Bible is a collection of various works from myriad prophets and have been translated between three languages and the followers of Christ, while reverent towards the Bible are certainly not saying that it is the direct communication from God to Man. Islam is saying EXACTLY that.

I don't know what your experience is, but mine is totally different. The sections in bold are exactly what they believe. I'm not just talking about people from my parents' weird sect, but most protestants, evangelicals, conservative Catholics and Jehovah's Witnesses.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Revelation-22-18-19.html

This is mainstream Christianity we're talking about here. I'm surprised that you would hold this misconception.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:26 am

Wokko doesn't know the background of the theology of biblical inspiration, and is confusing "literalism" with what is generally believed, i.e., "inerrancy", which in most cases translates to "inerrancy in matters of moral authority". Thus, he seems to be thinking Christian fundamentalists don't stone people or cast menstruating women from the camp, hence they're not "literalists", and therefore not "fundamentalists". But, in this case, Wokko, "literalism" is not to be taken "literally"!

No doubt in some places and rhetoric it would appear to be the case that there are "literalists", and some folk might even be under the delusion that they are "literalists" (i.e., "originalists")! But, as explained somewhere above, the very notion is an impossibility. I mean, do you really think these people you've never met whose countries you've never seen wander around "literally" re-enacting the sixth century? Sure, there are some places which no doubt seem more like that due to their level of urban and economic development, while many components of ancient culture no doubt linger on in various places, as they do all over the world.

But when you look at the streets of Tehran, Jakarta, Istanbul, Amman, Ashgabat, Kuala Lumpur, Marseilles and Reading West, do you really see the "literal" sixth century, even in photos? Shariah police and stonings don't account for 2B lives dispersed across the world, despite what Fox News might have you believe. You simply can't take the extremely trivial exaggerations of the media and bloggers literally. Such people are "professional informationists" who think their handful of hotel stays and sightseeing tours in the Middle East and North Africa, and piles of reading and tweets, mean they really understand the vast diversity and complexity of 2B Muslim people and some unknown number of sub-groups and sub-peoples they've never met or lived with. They crap on and on, being wrong time and again, with the fact they have no actual clue about the lived world beyond somehow failing to curb their pronouncements.

Perhaps I'm slow, but I only know a modest amount about South Korea after having lived there for a decade plus! My guess is that the claims of others to know the lived experience of people from thousands of miles in vastly different world contexts is much more likely (a) omniscience fantasy, or (b) anxiety-driven OCD (i.e., the need for control) than anything approaching expertise. Both are immature defenses and ones I personally recognise as I am also prone to them! (My guess is David, Tannin and I probably all are, just in case that's not bleedingly obvious Cool ).

Back to biblical authority, your approach is like thinking Christianity must "literally" look like the Xth century because churches still use Latin, priests still wear stupid outfits, and newcomers are still baptised in the holy waters of the spirit. Yes, religion keeps it's head in some idealised past (and future), but it's not literally living there, despite it's ridiculous liturgies, 18th-century hymns and claims to be re-enacting the early church of the Acts of the Apostles (earlier is always purer, of course, as with the US constitution, lol).

But, as I say, the main problem here is you're desperately trying to fill in your knowledge gaps in order to maintain that beloved map of good and evil you can't bring yourself to let go of. Anyhow, to fill you in a bit, within the Christian context, the debate is not about "literal" versus "non-literal", it's about "inerrant moral guidance" (more conservative/fundamentalist churches) versus a "dynamic moral equivalency" which can be adapted to all ages and places at the level of broad principle (more liberal, modern churches).

The conservative end of the religion takes things more "literally" not because it does this consistently and has a rational argument for doing so, and obviously not because it actually lives in the sixth century, but because it consists of something like (a) conservative authoritarians clinging to the past order and looking for any old argument to force people to remain under their control, and (b) fearful, uncertain folk looking to be controlled by a strong father figure. The liberal end of the religion takes a much more metaphorical approach because it has a greater tolerance and desire for change, ambiguity and modernisation.

And, as we know, that continuum exists pretty much everywhere.

Anyhow, the last thing I will say to you on this is that we've got virtually zero cognitive science of religion and belief at one end, and virtually zero lived experience of even the tiniest fraction of 2B extremely diverse Muslim lives at the other. If you still think it's ethical to have a say in the lives of others in the light of such a monstrous knowledge gap, beyond the obvious of trying to secure ourselves against terrorism or conversely helping folk out as needed, then there's not much more to be said because we have extremely different ethical standards.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:23 am

Gees everyone getting all tangled in the words of 2 books, that the same people argue black and blue, are more fiction than fact.

All religious deeds should be prefaced "in the name of" or even better "I'm using...... As an excuse".

Ok the nazis might have been of Christian faith, but did they come out and say Jesus made me do it?

Well these Isis tools do come out and say the prophet says this is what we must do. And maybe in the past Christians have used the "good" book to hurt other folks. Maybe the not so distant past. But not In this day and age where surely, we know better?

As with any terrorist group, take out their excuses, they are just a bunch of greedy, power hungry, immoral, murders.

And yeah I know I know, the USA oil excuse is no better. But they didn't go around blowing up unsuspecting civilians going around their everyday life.

Remember 'born on the fourth of July'? One two three four, we don't want your $£$%^%%$ war.

Those headscarved women fighting on the front line, protecting their children. Gees, they are killing their own, they are the scum of the earth. It's not a Muslim thing, it's a bunch of terrorists with piss poor excuses. It's like the nazis all over again. Crazy, just $£$%^%%$ unbelievably crazy, in this day and age.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:13 am

think positive wrote:
And yeah I know I know, the USA oil excuse is no better. But they didn't go around blowing up unsuspecting civilians going around their everyday life.

They did, actually, and still do to this very day. Drone attacks, directly authorised by Obama, have killed heaps of innocent civilians; men, women and children. And as for the War in Iraq, who could forget the 'collateral murder' video (not an isolated event; just one where the footage happened to be leaked)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_12,_2007_Baghdad_airstrike

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:08 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

They did, actually, and still do to this very day. Drone attacks, directly authorised by Obama, have killed heaps of innocent civilians; men, women and children. And as for the War in Iraq, who could forget the 'collateral murder' video (not an isolated event; just one where the footage happened to be leaked)?

Not disputing what happened here and the Iraq War was a terrible and unjust war initiated by the US but I still maintain that the majority of deaths in the Iraq War were caused by insurgency groups like ISIS (known as Islamic State of Iraq in those days) and Ansar Al-Islam for example.

Last edited by Jezza on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

Can you at least acknowledge it was a war zone at the time? Shit like that might happen

You know what stuff it, your impossible. Yep ok all Anglo Saxons are bad, all Christians are bad, but hey, we ain't going to hell there isn't one, and hey it ain't our fault there is no free will.

Just one question if that war does come to our door step, just who will you be fighting for?

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 pm

ISIS, naturally.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:33 pm

David wrote:
ISIS, naturally.

Me too, I'm a sucker for a free AK47 and catchy background music.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:35 pm

think positive wrote:
Can you at least acknowledge it was a war zone at the time? Shit like that might happen

It does happen.
Back in 1985 an Australian combat camera man was killed during a minor coup de tete in Thailand.
Neil Davis was an experienced camera-man working through out the Vietnam war and other smaller trouble spots.
At the time of his death he was filming a tank under attack, or attacking something (I can't remember which).
He was very close to it and when he pointed his telephoto lens at it, the crew must thought he was aiming an RPG and they opened fire with machine guns and killed him instantly.
For such an experienced camera-man he made a basic blunder.
In the heat of battle (even in an armed helicopter) mis-identification between the two (and the potential threat they have to assess) is a very easy thing to do!
As Tony Abbott said, "in war, shit happens!"

We won't stop these "accidents" till we stop wars happening in the first place.
In the meantime they're probably best not treated as a political football!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Davis_%28cameraman%29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDy-UVD5LQ

(Yes they were waving a white flag but that lens was pointing at that tank and it opened fire...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: