Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We need a smart key forward

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

gurugeoff wrote:
100 per cent correct - Cloke is just as ineffective now as a key forward as his old man was for us, (which is why he ended up in the ruck).

If we have to keep Cloke, why not try him as a key back, or perhaps in the ruck like David.

I thought Cloke played a decent game on the weekend, given extremely limited chances. his performance had NOTHING to do with our loss. I don't understand what people expect from him sometimes. I routinely saw him blanketed by three defenders as we came up against a superior team with a superior plan.

he moved well up the ground. presented well enough. and he is a really smart footballer.

Unless you mean he is not smart because he gets the kicking yips???? Is that what you mean.

He is by miles and miles our best option up forward and up forward is o8ur greatest weakness. why does everyone continue to want to move him away when that is exactly where we need him????????

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:17 am

Not everyone, E. What is required is a genuinely competent senior footballer to take advantage of the consistent one on one opportunities created by Cloke being monstered three on one by defenders. If White were that, he could have kicked 7+ goals against Adelaide - all that hard work by Travis just resulted in dropped marks - sometimes uncontested, over and over again. The reason the opposition continues to play that way is because they know there is no-one else in the Collingwood forward-line who can get the job done. Cloke's production last year and so far this year is a direct result of the absence of any other serious tall scoring-threat up forward.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:37 am

Darcy Moore and Dangerfield would brighten up our goalkicking, no end !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 pm

Rick wrote:
I'd like to see him go onto the ball in particular at centre square stoppages and go forward to cause a potential mismatch. Like the Hawks do with Roughead.

The Hawks are the masters at multi positional players.

I'm glad someone else bought this up. I have thought this for a while. He's got a big enough tank to take a run through the middle on occasion like roughhead and his tackling pressure and ground work most would agree are some of his strengths.

I think this is part of the reason a lot want to see him played higher up at CHF.

"Unleash the beast' is how a lot of people see it.

Problem is, is if he is successful at winning the ball, who does he kick to. White? Elliot?

I think the third tall is screaming at us in the face. Bring in Gault, or Patty. I would worry less about VFL form and more about structure and chemistry.

A dash of Karnezis, one drop of Gault. The amputated leg of a LTI and whala! Magic Happens.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 pm

September Zeros wrote:
Rick wrote:
I'd like to see him go onto the ball in particular at centre square stoppages and go forward to cause a potential mismatch. Like the Hawks do with Roughead.

I'm glad someone else bought this up. I have thought this for a while. He's got a big enough tank to take a run through the middle on occasion like roughhead and his tackling pressure and ground work most would agree are some of his strengths.

I think this is part of the reason a lot want to see him played higher up at CHF.

Problem is, is if he is successful at winning the ball, who does he kick to. White? Elliot?

I think the third tall is screaming at us in the face. Bring in Gault, or Patty. I would worry less about VFL form and more about structure and chemistry.

A dash of Karnezis, one drop of Gault. The amputated leg of a LTI and whala! Magic Happens.

Roughead is a smart footballer, sadly Cloke is not.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:18 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
Rick wrote:

Roughead is a smart footballer, sadly Cloke is not.

You have to work with only what you have.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Sam. Weideman.

He does not qualify under F/S but jeez I'd love us to take him and have him beside Darcy Moore for the next 10+ years. Even with the need for a gun midfielder I would still take Weideman before a midfielder in the draft, if he was still available for our first pick.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:29 pm

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
Sam. Weideman.

He does not qualify under F/S but jeez I'd love us to take him and have him beside Darcy Moore for the next 10+ years. Even with the need for a gun midfielder I would still take Weideman before a midfielder in the draft, if he was still available for our first pick.

Isn't there a clause for grandfathers as well, or is it just father son?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:07 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Isn't there a clause for grandfathers as well, or is it just father son?

Nope, not as far as I'm aware.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:04 am

Good to see that the Club has decided to try two competent talls in the forward-line this week. Now he's picked in one of those roles, Gault needs to be given a few weeks in a row to see whether he can make the transition to playing consistent senior footy.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:32 pm
Post subject: Re: We need a smart key forwardReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
OK, let me just say I've finally had enough of Travis Cloke. After 10 years of promising so much, becoming quite a good player, but never delivering on his undoubted potential, I'm prepared to say it's time we look elsewhere for our key spearhead. Despite his great hands, his powerful physique and his big engine, he regularly lets us down with his poor conversion and his dumb positioning. The difference between Cloke and Tex Walker is simple. Walker runs straight out from goals where he can mark directly in front. Even when Cloke is played deep he always runs to the pockets. Basically, his problem appears to be a lack of grey matter between his ears. He is just not a smart footballer. I'm also fed up with his tantrums at umpires. The bottom line is he gives away far too many kicks. With his physical attributes he should be a powerhouse of the AFL, yet he has become an also ran.

Although I expect Bucks to persevere with Cloke this year, I'm hoping we use this season to fast track the development of Gault and Moore as key forwards with a view to trading Cloke at the end of the year..

It's ironic how he is the barometer of the team.
When he kicks straight - we win.
Tonight was a series of momentum turning f*ck ups from him, and that other ball slaughterer Swan. I'll start on White in another thread.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:35 pm

He was shit house

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:22 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

Cloke is a pure Champion like his dad. I love watching Cloke play for us because he gives 100% every game. The problem with our forward structure is too many little flea forwards like Elliott getting in the way of the Super Forward Cloke and distracting him from the strong marking he is capable of. Get Elliott down the back line where he belongs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: