Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Injuries and age

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:51 pm
Post subject: Injuries and ageReply with quote

I attended a luncheon today with some former league people including the one time fitness coordinator of the Brisbane Broncos and former coach of Daley Thompson the British Olympic champion in the decathlon Kelvin Giles.
I spoke to Kelvin at length as we we seated beside deach other and asked him how was it coaching Daley in the decathlon with so many various disciplines etc.
During the afternoon I turned the subject to young players (under 22) and asked why did he think so many we're getting soft tissue injuries in all codes.
He said he blamed the new theories of sports science and the ludicrous amount of under training they give players these days.
He said years ago players from around 14-16 would be given training loads equal to adults to help build there bodies and stamina and endurance levels naturally whilst there joints and organs were still growing. He said by putting miles in there legs at the correct times actually helped them prepare for more physical demands.
He also said the Broncos still only give players under 21 a few weeks at a time in the first grade team before sending them back to the next level down for them to gain more conditioning and match fitness in an environment less demanding than first grade.
I started thinking of all the soft tissue injuries we have had and the majority have been to players aged 22 or under and a fair amount of them have been recurring.
I wonder have we erred in playing them for longer stints in the seniors due to other factors or does the under training of many of them from junior level make them unsuited to senior football for long periods (week in week out)
It's not just our club there's been a lot of clubs who have had injuries to young players
Yes some young players have adapted to th riggers of senior football well and haven't had the injuries but I wonder if they had different training regimes than those who have been injured
Just interested to hear what posters think ?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you talk about?
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't comment on sports science because I don't have any
specialized knowledge in that field.
And even from mugs point of view I wouldn't have a clue.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:21 pm

thompsoc wrote:

Me either Thomo but Kelvin Giles is a guru from the 80's & 90's and coached Olympic athletes as well as footballers so I would back his opinion
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm
Post subject: Re: Injuries and ageReply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I attended a luncheon today with some former league people including the one time fitness coordinator of the Brisbane Broncos and former coach of Daley Thompson the British Olympic champion in the decathlon Kelvin Giles.
I spoke to Kelvin at length as we we seated beside deach other and asked him how was it coaching Daley in the decathlon with so many various disciplines etc.
During the afternoon I turned the subject to young players (under 22) and asked why did he think so many we're getting soft tissue injuries in all codes.
He said he blamed the new theories of sports science and the ludicrous amount of under training they give players these days.
He said years ago players from around 14-16 would be given training loads equal to adults to help build there bodies and stamina and endurance levels naturally whilst there joints and organs were still growing. He said by putting miles in there legs at the correct times actually helped them prepare for more physical demands.
He also said the Broncos still only give players under 21 a few weeks at a time in the first grade team before sending them back to the next level down for them to gain more conditioning and match fitness in an environment less demanding than first grade.
I started thinking of all the soft tissue injuries we have had and the majority have been to players aged 22 or under and a fair amount of them have been recurring.
I wonder have we erred in playing them for longer stints in the seniors due to other factors or does the under training of many of them from junior level make them unsuited to senior football for long periods (week in week out)
It's not just our club there's been a lot of clubs who have had injuries to young players
Yes some young players have adapted to th riggers of senior football well and haven't had the injuries but I wonder if they had different training regimes than those who have been injured

Haven't we just had the fewest number of soft tissue injuries for years? The only young player I can think of who suffered a couple of hammies was Moore.

Our problem this year has been the number of impact/collision type injuries.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 pm

If you had said to a Lou Richards or Jack Dyer that players would turn to a
ballet dancer they would have chocked on their cuppa

But today sport is so demarnding but its happening---and hyperbaric chambers are the new edge

Most if not all would have scant knowledge of sports science but it is part
of footy

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 pm

If you had said to a Lou Richards or Jack Dyer that players would turn to a
ballet dancer they would have chocked on their cuppa

But today sport is so demarnding but its happening---and hyperbaric chambers are the new edge

Most if not all would have scant knowledge of sports science but it is part
of footy

mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:20 pm

thompsoc wrote:

Thank heaven for small mercies!!!
mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Haven't we just had the fewest number of soft tissue injuries for years? The only young player I can think of who suffered a couple of hammies was Moore.

And that was in Round 22 RB!!!
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Elite juniors are training with club and often school teams and sometimes playing multiple games in a week. Adding this to the training intensity now being used with teens (personal weight training sessions etc) it makes sense to think that there must be a link. I know several teens with stress fractures in their backs and/or severe reoccurring muscle injuries which sadly many parents are pushing them through rather than resting. Elite teens seems to often have "elite" parents??
There are going to be a lot of "Garry Lyon" type physical specimens in the future I fear. A life spent in pain and unable to move at 40 isn't my idea of fun!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:39 pm

mudlark wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

Thank heaven for small mercies!!!

After posting that I wondered which rabbit would poke their head out of their burrow to give that sort of comment.
And guess what it was you mudlark!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:46 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

True rude but prior to this season we've had several bad years running and I wasn't just referring to our club or afl it seems to be across many codes and clubs.
It was just a interesting view point from a person none had vast expense
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:47 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I don't comment on sports science because I don't have any specialized knowledge in that field.

But this is social media mate.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:49 pm

Presti35 wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
I don't comment on sports science because I don't have any specialized knowledge in that field.

But this is social media mate.

Man that is a really ugly avatar you got there.
I thought mine was bad.
Send Blondie home!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Whatever gave you that idea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: