Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is our 4 in-a-row under threat from the Hawks? (NOPE!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Sam Mitchell talking on either Football Classified or AFL360 the other day and it sounded very much like the Hawthorn players are all on low money to keep the playing group together. This was something Geelong also did during their glory years.

I couldn't help but compare that to the way Cloke went about his contract renewal. You are either a united group or you are not. Hawthorn clearly are.

TheJonesBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
if you had to look at all the teams and the way they score, Hawthorn are the Kings of getting their goals out the back ( over the packs ) Rioli, Pupolo, Bruest and scumbag opportunist Gunston.

Reckon they get around 4-5 every game.

Pointless post award.

Big whoop.
Who cares how they get their goals.
Still counts as 6 points.
When they post them in the paper the next day they don't put an explanation as to how they went through the big sticks.

Personally I'd love the Pies to get 12 "Joe the Goose" goals a week if it meant we were as successful as Hawthorn.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Deserving favorites this year but even then they aren't guaranteed to win the cup.

A case in point, could have just as easily been rolled by Port last year and not even made it to the big dance.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:24 pm

I still like Port for the youth they have. Reckon that may keep them in good health come finals time. Hope they stop the Hawks as they did the Brions.

Hawks were awesome really last year. They had a worse run with injuries than we did, pulled it together in the end and got the job done in the GF by plenty.

mattys123 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:28 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
I heard Sam Mitchell talking on either Football Classified or AFL360 the other day and it sounded very much like the Hawthorn players are all on low money to keep the playing group together. This was something Geelong also did during their glory years.

I couldn't help but compare that to the way Cloke went about his contract renewal. You are either a united group or you are not. Hawthorn clearly are.

You mean the way Cloke took 2-300k less then what Carlton were offering?

Yeah I know, what a prick he was doing that.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Had Malceski etc not got the Swans over the line in 2012, the Dawks would be aiming at 4 in a row right now.

All I know is, I just want the Pies to beat them!!!!
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I don't think they'll equal our record.Four premierships in a row is almost impossible in this day and age.They're most likely to lose in a Preliminary final.They've just fallen over the line in the last three prelims,in games where they were hot favourites,and they were very lucky to beat Port Adelaide last year.

And let's face it,they do have a lot of old players who must surely be coming to the end of the careers.It's almost 'unnatural' how well their older players are playing.They can't keep playing like that forever,surely?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:14 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:

Buddy left for more money.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:48 am

mattys123 wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

Seedsmeister can correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect he's inferring that Cloke's unwillingness to sign a contract straight away in 2012 and stringing out his contractual issues throughout most of the season (as he has every right to do so) demonstrated that the club wasn't as united as it may have appeared on the surface in 2012.

I don't necessarily agree with him entirely but I understand what he's trying to say when comparing Cloke's contract situation in contrast to the Hawks players willingness to play for less money if it ensures that they remain successful longer than anticipated in this day and age.

Thankfully in the end Cloke re-signed for the club and that was the end of the matter. Now if Cloke has a big season for the club then the fans will feel awarded after a disappointing 2014 season for him.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:56 am

themonk wrote:
A real possibility as they have taken full advantage of free agency.

Still a long way off though but their list is amazing.

Free Agency has really helped the Hawks.

We did not have FA in 2010 and 2011 to sign up players like the Hawks has

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:13 am

Cam wrote:
Lose Roughhead for an extended period and they are toast in the big games.

He and Hodge are the ones they don’t want to lose late in the Season

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:27 am

Dave The Man wrote:
themonk wrote:
A real possibility as they have taken full advantage of free agency.

Still a long way off though but their list is amazing.

Free Agency has really helped the Hawks.

We did not have FA in 2010 and 2011 to sign up players like the Hawks has

Correct Dave and it's something I've observed and thought about in more detail in the past year or so about free agency and the timing of its implementation.

The Hawks have benefited immensely from the implementation of free agency from 2012 onwards to ensure that it allows them to stay at the top for a longer period of time than initially anticipated however it doesn't mean they'll be good in the long-term however. It just means that they're time at the top with their current playing list may be prolonged as a result.

The timing was quite unlucky for sides like us, St.Kilda and the Bulldogs who all began declining from 2011 onwards and tried to top up their lists but it didn't work successfully for them in contrast to the Hawks.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Jezza wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

Seedsmeister can correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect he's inferring that Cloke's unwillingness to sign a contract straight away in 2012 and stringing out his contractual issues throughout most of the season (as he has every right to do so) demonstrated that the club wasn't as united as it may have appeared on the surface in 2012.

I don't necessarily agree with him entirely but I understand what he's trying to say when comparing Cloke's contract situation in contrast to the Hawks players willingness to play for less money if it ensures that they remain successful longer than anticipated in this day and age.

Thankfully in the end Cloke re-signed for the club and that was the end of the matter. Now if Cloke has a big season for the club then the fans will feel awarded after a disappointing 2014 season for him.

Long bow is the term that comes to mind. As you've said, he was perfectly entitled to defer contact discussions until the end of the season and I can't see a correlation to team unity.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:44 pm

When was this exactly? prick I was doing that is a prick I was doing that.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:42 pm

jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

Long bow is the term that comes to mind. As you've said, he was perfectly entitled to defer contact discussions until the end of the season and I can't see a correlation to team unity.

Odd also when one notes that the Cloke of that very unified Hawks team is currently playing for Sydney????

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 3 of 43   

Jump to: