Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#41,#8 Tom Langdon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, folks, the Future Captain rejected all offers to re-sign with the 'pies and, as we lead into round 1, here's the inside story:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/frustrated-confused-defender-happy-he-stayed-a-magpie

By way of reminder, here's a few bits and pieces from the 2016 posts in this thread.

Pies4shaw wrote:
Great player. In the first 10 picked, when fit. Anyone who thinks otherwise should seriously consider following a different sport.

inxs88 wrote:
Get the feeling that Langdon's best has been seen. Not that he'll go backwards at all in performance but scarily won't go higher. He has a talent base that is capped and like Jarryd Blair in 2010/2011, doubt whether Tom shall reveal any new tricks or reveal an upside going forward.

Definitely has gone from a pick 65 in his draft year to a selection in the low 30's. Are we as a club brave enough to continue the aggressive trading with the view of bringing in more talent?? It's not like we are bereft for middling half back flankers...

Member 7167 wrote:
Who would Langdom push out when he is fit and comes back? The backline has been an issue all year but has certainly improved in recent times. Frost has proved to be one dimensional, Marley has failed to set the world on fire, Reid has been good to very good and Brown has been serviceable. Marsh and Howe has have certainly added some X Factor and Sinkers has developed some speed and skill by foot since he has no longer been under an injury cloud. Also there is also Keefe to consider?

Most intercept marks in the finals. Most marks by a Collingwood player in a final since at least 1965 (and, possibly, ever - the stats I've seen don't go back before that season). He was, apparently, "OK" with his 2018 but "pleased" with the way he finished off.

Most importantly, though, he is "determined to improve his leadership". Wink

Dear oh dear you certainly like to play lose with the truth
Langdon didn't reject anything he wasn't offered anything other than our offer
Sydney spoke to him and gave him a medical but didn't make a offer
Harley said exactly "we've spoken to Tom and we've decided we will look in other directions to fill some gaps on our list" We appreciate the manner Tom conducted himself during our conversation and wish him all the best for the future"
So he had to take our offer or play park footy that was is options
So he rejected park tooth good on him our 2 year deal was fair and reasonable obviously so he took it
When we have a 40 fit players to select from we will see were he sits in the order of selection
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:38 pm

If Langdon stops flying blindly into packs leaving his man on the ground then maybe I’ll soften my stance on him.

But his lack of ‘ruthless’ nature cost us the softest, most horrible goal to kick-start WCE in the GF, bookended by a lame attempt to smash a smaller opponent in a pac situation of the wing that led to the game winner. It’s these ‘mistakes’ that for mine, far outweigh the ‘good’.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Just looking back at what I wrote back in 2016 about Langdon. What I wrote is obviously wrong based on what you see of Langdon today. Difficult task looking at a young player (or in fact even a mature player) and extrapolating what that player will be like in 2-3 year's time. I remember when Malthouse recruited Leigh Brown and thinking Malthouse was crazy moving Leigh Brown into the forward line. When Buckley moved Crisp to the half back line I thought Buckley was crazy. When Buckley moved Keeffe to CHF in the Port Adelaide Elimination Final I thought that was a crazy move, then a couple of year's later when Keeffe was played in the forward line I actually thought it might work out. Even at times watching Jesse White played in any number of positions over the years, you get that vague feeling that there is some sense to it. Don't know where the coaches get their ideas from. All I know is I wouldn't want to be a coach.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Whether deserved or not, Langdon is always going to polarise supporters more than most.

“ Never judge a footballer until he’s played over 50 games “ is a great quote to live by if you want to reduce your embarrassment to a minimum.

Having said that, even coaches get them wrong. It’s just that they don’t usually put it in writing.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
“ Never judge a footballer until he’s played over 50 games “ is a great quote to live by if you want to reduce your embarrassment to a minimum.

Safer still: "Never judge a footballer until he's retired." (Or death, if you want to be really sure.)
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 pm

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Safer still: "Never judge a footballer until he's retired." (Or death, if you want to be really sure.)

True but where’s the fun.

I remember I once “ claimed “ that brayden Shaw ( on a the back of three ? goals against the Bears ) would end up a better footballer than Heath.

I have long since learned to remain much more circumspect on the back of that rather outlandish statement 😉
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:02 pm

masoncox wrote:
He is the new jimmy clement .... reads the flight of the ball better than anyone in the afl.
But he does make mistakes.

Comparing him to Clement is like comparing Wally Lovett to Peter Daicos

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Clement was a great player and I’m not going to get into dumb comparisons. I would, though, draw to your attention that Jimmy joined Collingwood after his 84th game. When he played his first game for the ‘Pies, he was 100 days older than Tom was in the 2018 Grand Final (his 80th game). We only saw Clement here in his prime.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:39 am

Someone earlier asked the question
How does Langdon get so many uncontested marks or intercepts ?
Interesting question really
My ole mate P4S correctly stated he took a extraordinary amount of marks through the finals series mostly uncontested
So last night I sat down and watched the games against WC week 1 GWS week 2 and tigers week 3
These are my observations
Our defensive structure under Longmuir changed from a full team press up the field when not in possession to systematic cross between zone based and press
When we have the ball we hold 2 defenders back stopping the over the back goals this generally was Goldie and Maynard playing deep
Howe pushed up one wing Crisp to the other with there opponents looking for that hurried kick
Langdon covered the middle of the ground generally playing 1/2 a kick in front of his man
Langdon basically covered the back end of the square
If the ball went to either side he simply moved over towards that side more so lining up 1/2 a kick behind Howe or Crisp depending on which side it went to
Our midfield pressure up ground was very good through the finals and our opposition didn't deliver the ball well going forward allowing for many uncontested marks and intercept marks falling our way
I think it was a combination of a great game plan and executed well by the players that led to his stats
While his marks stats were great he had far more handballs than kicks still. He was often taking the mark and then looking to go by hand to another player running by or kick sideways to the open side to a player who worked back into space.
I'll tip my hat to him and all the defenders for making the system work it's only as good as its weakest link and they all did very well
We backed our upfield pressure to make the opposition not hit Langdons man out the back and the few times it did happen Maynard Goldie were still able to leave there man and go to the man with the ball
Langdon won't be at CHB this season so those stats will drop back dramatically
I think you will that loose role go to Moore now as he's a sensational mark and miles ahead on the kicking front
But it was a interesting watch to be honest looking for something different than just following the ball
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:46 pm

He reads the play better than anyone on our list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Page 36 of 36   

Jump to: