Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Greenwood, the domino effect

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm
Post subject: Greenwood, the domino effectReply with quote

All season I have looked forward to the return of Greenwood and finally the debut is on the horizon. I cant help but think Greenwoods inclusion is going to make a significant difference to the way we structure up and also to other players maximising their potential around him.

Adams looks a little tired to me and the inclusion of Greenwood will allow him a bit more rest in between bursts out of the middle. Crisp has been a revelation and I think when he is released occasionally to get some well earned outside ball, his improvement should rise to a new level again.

Swan and Pendlebury have a good history of being very productive when left in the forward line but we just haven't had the luxury of leaving them down there for very long. Greenwoods inclusion will make us look more potent inside our own 50.

Other players like Elliot and Broomhead have also been forced to have spells in the middle and both of them just look far more comfortable when they are left to spend their time at the feet of our KPPs. Its been good for their education but we look more damaging on the scoreboard when these guys receive the ball inside 50.

I'm not putting pressure on Greenwood to be at his best for a while but his quick, one grab hands in close are his strength. If he can bring those attributes from day one and build his tank up along the way, I see a number of Collingwood players benefiting from his inclusion the moment he debuts in the seniors.

Bring it on.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like Sidebottom's return, the effect of a top 10 player coming in is more than just their contribution. Like when a second or third forward has to contend with the #1 fullback.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm

I just hope he can find the same form which had him as equal runner up for North's best player last year. Prior to that, however, he was considered a bit of a journeyman midfielder, so there's no guarantee he'll even be in our best 22. Whichever one we end up with, I think he'll need quite a bit of time to find form after missing so much footy and lining up at a new club. Being a glass half full kinda guy, I reckon he'll help inject some physicality and grunt into our midfield and help us win many more clearances than we have been. He could enable Pendles, Swan and even Sidey to spend more time up forward which would be a good thing.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Who do you take out! Sweeper? Blairy?
Crisp has to stay for one. Adams is Greenwoods partner in crime. Will be interesting when all are fit and ready how the coaches will go.
Leave it, It's Billy E's 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Good post and yes the benefit of the likes of Pendles, Swan and at times even Crisp who is tall all going forward, will make us a hard team to match up on!! Shocked
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:17 pm

I was impressed with him from what I saw of the nab cup, he's a contested animal who will instantly improve our side when he regains match fitness.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 pm

I just hope we can hang on to our spot in the eight until Greenwood and Reid come back. And obviously I hope we don't lose anyone else either.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:45 pm

The only problem I see with Greenwood is that he is a little one paced like most of the rest of the Collingwood midfield. So bringing him into the side is not going to solve all our problems. The key to me is getting Freeman up and running and that is going to take some time before that becomes a reality.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Yeah, our lack of outside run was very evident in the first quarter against the Cats. Having said that I'd take a slower team that can kick over a faster team that can't.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Top post Pies2016. I'm more in Rudeboy's camp: I look at Greenwood's long record of mediocrity as against his one-year-only record of success, and wonder why we expect him to be that one-year player as of right. I didn't see anything much in the pre-season cup to persuade me otherwise. I also couldn't see any particular role for him, given the success of Adams and also Crisp. But you make a good case, interesting reading and food for thought.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:00 pm

Any boost to our midfield can only be a good thing and will take the burden off our more senior brigade and enable them to play more of a role up forward. I love the idea of Pendlebury up forward as a target. He's accurate and a strong mark. It also pushes Cloke further up the ground and away from goal. Watch the replay of the suns game.

I believe the inclusion of Greenwood adds experience and toughness and also gives the younger guys a break. Broomhead is still learning and drifts in and out of games. Adams is consistently good and tries really hard. So maybe they could do with a rest. Anyway looking forward to seeing him running around for us in the black and white.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 pm

Tannin wrote:
Top post Pies2016. I'm more in Rudeboy's camp: I look at Greenwood's long record of mediocrity as against his one-year-only record of success, and wonder why we expect him to be that one-year player as of right. I didn't see anything much in the pre-season cup to persuade me otherwise. I also couldn't see any particular role for him, given the success of Adams and also Crisp. But you make a good case, interesting reading and food for thought.

So Adams should be ahead of Greenwood and Levi would have to come back thru the VFL?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Tannin wrote:

So Adams should be ahead of Greenwood and Levi would have to come back thru the VFL?

My expectation is that he would be ready to resume in a fortnight and then have a couple in the twos at least, given that he would have missed close to 12 weeks. There are plenty of footballers who return half way through the season and never find their best form for the remainder of that season. Greenwood is no superstar but my O P was more about the improvement and unpredictability to our structure rather than his skill set. It's a young team and a long season and I have no doubt in the second half of the year, he will be playing a significant role for us in the guts.
There is a stat from last year that greenwood spent more minutes in the centre bounces than any other player in the league. This guy is very good at first hands out of the middle.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 pm

I find your case persuasive, Pies2016.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:35 pm

At least Greenwood will mean no longer do we have to use Crisp in run with roles. We can rotate our extraction men off the bench more. It should also improve the problem with our ability to win and halve centre clearances. Just having the grunt of Greenwood would of helped stem those easy takeaways that allowed Richmond to score so quickly. I hope Greenwood can be a stopper when needed which may mean Caff doesn't have a job. Greenwood has a reputation for running both ways all day. The silver lining of his broken leg has been it would of helped with the chronic foot problem we had been managing. I think having him and Sidey back is going to improve us a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: