Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thomas, Keeffe reportedly test positive perf enhancing drugs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
Some of the comments in this thread seem over the top. I'll never understand the extreme reactions against those who take drugs, or even drug dealers for that matter. There's much worse a person can do, and I have a far greater issue with any crime against a person (Marley's for instance) than I do against drug taking.

Funny I was thinking about Marleys comeback tonight during the game! I was one of the knockers, didn't want him back at all, but gees, I'm happy to say I was wrong. Not a sniff of controversy, and he has obviously really buckled down to training. I still think he was lucky to get off, but at least he has made the most of his second chance.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Really well said on, Inkling, couldn't agree more.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:00 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
This is taking us a little off track but a couple of things:

On drug dealers: yes, they deal in terrible substances that wreck lives and essentially profit off the misery of others, but they are selling something that people want, there isn't any coercion here. They're hardly any different to tobacco companies or the alcohol industry.

Drug takers: putting aside anything they may do while under the influence which can directly effect others, they are really committing a crime against themselves. To me it's closer to self harming than anything the rest of the community should be angry about.

And if we look at the bigger picture, a problem with drugs says less about the drug takers or dealers themselves and more about the society which breeds them. Drugs are bad, they ruin lives, break apart families, damage communities, but they are not the problem, eliminate drugs overnight and the underlying issues would still exist and past users would simply find some other method of self destruction.

Very simplistic.
A few glib paragraphs don't do these subjects justice.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
roar 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Let's just be thankful it was only these two who got tested that day. Otherwise, the situation could have been a complete disaster for us.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:46 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
This is taking us a little off track but a couple of things:

On drug dealers: yes, they deal in terrible substances that wreck lives and essentially profit off the misery of others, but they are selling something that people want, there isn't any coercion here. They're hardly any different to tobacco companies or the alcohol industry.

Drug takers: putting aside anything they may do while under the influence which can directly effect others, they are really committing a crime against themselves. To me it's closer to self harming than anything the rest of the community should be angry about.

And if we look at the bigger picture, a problem with drugs says less about the drug takers or dealers themselves and more about the society which breeds them. Drugs are bad, they ruin lives, break apart families, damage communities, but they are not the problem, eliminate drugs overnight and the underlying issues would still exist and past users would simply find some other method of self destruction.

Well said inky.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:48 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Some of the comments in this thread seem over the top. I'll never understand the extreme reactions against those who take drugs, or even drug dealers for that matter. There's much worse a person can do, and I have a far greater issue with any crime against a person (Marley's for instance) than I do against drug taking.

That's from the perspective of the perpetrator. From the club's perspective, what Keefee and Thomas have done is much much worse. They know the risks and took a huge gamble that didn't pay off.

An assault can be a reaction (or overreaction), but taking drugs isn't.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Simple truth is, by their own actions they have cost our Club 2 fit players for the season, on the back of our injury struggles over the last couple of season this is unforgivable no matter your perspective of drug taking.
they have damaged our chances and Club, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Don't agree with the draconian and moralistic posts that have appeared re Keeffe and Thomas. As yet, we don't know how this PED got into their bloodstream. Some are saying "they knew the risks and gambled...". I find this absurd. It is far more likely that they ingested this drug inadvertently while using recreational drugs...just like so many young people, including AFL footballers, are doing today The AFL's policy on recreational drugs has reflected this reality by providing three strikes, and self-reporting. Now the AFL is suddenly revising this policy because they are scared that there is a perception of irresponsible "leniency", due to the rantings of the "moral brigade". If it turns out that Keeffe and Thomas have tested positive due to the use of recreational drugs, then: a) their ban should not be longer than this year if the AFL has any justice in its decisions and b) the Pies should retain a place for them.
As Inkling says, recreational drugs are a reflection of society. Individual youth should not have their careers and financial viability destroyed because of misplaced and hypocritical moralism.
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 am

the people who want the players axed are very naive and immature in my opinion. Drugs are a part of life. There are 2 scenarios here.

1. they took recreational drugs laced with PEDs. No intent to gain advantage. Should be time served. club should educate them and support them and get them back in the playing list ASAP.

2. They took PEDs to gain advantage. Let the system determine what the correct penalty is. The club should not judge them. Allow them to serve the time as their punishment. at the end of it, they will have been out no longer than Freeman and Scharenberg, or any other seriously injured player. Why should they be punished again. They will have done a crime, served the time and they should be allowed to have a second chance. why add to the penalty by firing them on top of time served??????

Last edited by E on Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Well said, E. Agree entirely. Even if the drugs were taken with intent, the penalty should be decided by the powers that be. The club should not add extra. The pressures on these young men are intense to the point of agonising...who are we to judge ?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Well said, E. Agree entirely. Even if the drugs were taken with intent, the penalty should be decided by the powers that be. The club should not add extra. The pressures on these young men are intense to the point of agonising...who are we to judge ?

irrespective of the tribunal outcome i don't want to see these two left out in the cold so to speak. ed has always talked about giving people second chances and i hope that these two are in the frame for being able to redeem themselves once they have served any suspension. not for a minute do i believe they intentionally ingested peds.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 pm

it was stupid - big time STUPID and I think it will have a big impact on the recreational drugs used by players…

I would like to see the AFL and country change the laws re drugs… if there has been a war on drugs it is quite clear that the war has just increased the misery for many, made some serious criminals seriously rich and cost our society too much money! The war has been lost and a new approach is needed.

Performance enhancing drugs is cheating and should never be allowed but for me recreational drugs consumed by adults is nobody else's business including the government!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:37 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
it was stupid - big time STUPID and I think it will have a big impact on the recreational drugs used by players…

I would like to see the AFL and country change the laws re drugs… if there has been a war on drugs it is quite clear that the war has just increased the misery for many, made some serious criminals seriously rich and cost our society too much money! The war has been lost and a new approach is needed.

Performance enhancing drugs is cheating and should never be allowed but for me recreational drugs consumed by adults is nobody else's business including the government!

Hear hear!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 pm

I am amazed this thread is still going. These two are no longer Collingwood players all we are waiting on is the paperwork to be finalised.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Crowley tested positive last September and is only now just going before the tribunal it will probably be months before the hearing ends and a suspension handed down. Don't expect the Keefe or Thomas verdict to be handed down before the end of the season effectively making the provisional ban 1 year before next season rolls around.

This must be ASADA's new tactic, make the whole process drag out so in the case that a tribunal finds them not guilty they have already served a lengthy provisional ban. It's like having a US plea bargain with the DA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 43 of 44   

Jump to: