Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thomas, Keeffe reportedly test positive perf enhancing drugs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

ANNODAM wrote:
Good riddance to a bunch of junkies!

Now you can have a cone anytime you like fellas!

Stooges!

your ignorance really knows no bounds.

keeffe and thomas are good kids who have compromised their footy careers through their actions. i'm sure they will rebound and some good will come of it for them.

hot pie Pisces

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 am

Would love to hope you are right John W
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:43 am

What'sinaname wrote:
If they are under contract and appeal, are we forced to keep them on the list and under our salary cap? An appeal process could drag out for 2 years.

I don't think we'd be looking at anywhere near that long here. This is two players, not an entire football team, we're talking about a known substance that has been found in their systems and almost certainly getting there in the same single incident. If the circumstances of that incident can be proved to have involved anything other than deliberate use, then there should certainly be grounds for appeal.

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
The alternative is that their football careers are effectively over (and this will hang over their heads for the rest of their lives in any case). If they haven't taken it deliberately, then they should most certainly appeal.

They can't appeal yet, they haven't even fronted the tribunal to be sentenced. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Stui, I wasn't aware of that. Rolling Eyes Laughing

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:46 pm

As expected, a confirmed positive.

Guess their careers now rest with the tribunal. If they get 12 months, then missing 2015 year means that they can try resurrecting their careers next year.

If they get 2 years, doubt that the Pies will keep them on the list and play 2 short next year as well.

Let's hope the tribunal hears this quickly.
Golden Gordon Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Boy it took forever to get that B sample result. It is almost always positive. Sad, but in this case the rules are the rules and either Thomas and Keefe were cheats or they are plain stupid. In any case sayonara boys.

This is a perfect time for the club to make a stand on drugs in football. I don't want them back any time soon. The club should sack them immediately and state categorically that no matter how long their penalty they are not welcome back at Collingwood. Harsh, but just!

Golden Gordon Libra

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:23 pm

David wrote:
Sad, but not unexpected news. Hope they have grounds for an appeal and that the club will support them if they choose to go down that track.

Why? On what grounds could they appeal if they have been found with a banned substance in their systems. We ALL support WADA's appeal against the Bombers, so to be consistent we should NOT support an appeal in this case. Cheating or plain stupidity, they are the two options we face when considering what these boys have done. Set a standard and clean up the sport please Collingwood.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Golden Gordon wrote:
Boy it took forever to get that B sample result. It is almost always positive. Sad, but in this case the rules are the rules and either Thomas and Keefe were cheats or they are plain stupid. In any case sayonara boys.

This is a perfect time for the club to make a stand on drugs in football. I don't want them back any time soon. The club should sack them immediately and state categorically that no matter how long their penalty they are not welcome back at Collingwood. Harsh, but just!

Cannot agree more. Go and hopefully find happiness elsewhere.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:59 pm

If the alleged story doing the rounds is true (not going to repeat it) on how the prohibited substance came to be in their systems hopefully they cop the maximum and never step foot inside Collingwood ever again.

Playing any sport at the top level is a privilege and not a right.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Hope they make it back if it was an accidental, party related incident and not attempted cheating. Still need to cop their ban on the chin and work their arses off to stay fit and healthy during their time off.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Agree. And I hope that if it was, then they feel quite free to admit it. People can make up their own minds about such things, but deliberate cheating is on another level entirely. If they're guilty of the latter, then I don't really care what happens to them; if it's happened accidentally, no matter what the circumstances, then I want them to fight this to the bitter end.

Golden Gordon wrote:
David wrote:
Sad, but not unexpected news. Hope they have grounds for an appeal and that the club will support them if they choose to go down that track.

Why? On what grounds could they appeal if they have been found with a banned substance in their systems. We ALL support WADA's appeal against the Bombers, so to be consistent we should NOT support an appeal in this case. Cheating or plain stupidity, they are the two options we face when considering what these boys have done. Set a standard and clean up the sport please Collingwood.

Two completely separate issues. I've long said I don't agree with the Essendon players being suspended, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who holds that opinion. But this case will have to be assessed on its own merits.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Some of the comments in this thread seem over the top. I'll never understand the extreme reactions against those who take drugs, or even drug dealers for that matter. There's much worse a person can do, and I have a far greater issue with any crime against a person (Marley's for instance) than I do against drug taking.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:51 pm

^ Inkling, it depends on the drugs, but in general I agree. Drug dealing in crystal meth, or heroin, is a crime for those with no conscience.

In JT and LK's case, if they ingested it unintentionally while doing the kind of stupid thing that we all did when we were 21, then I think a 12 month ban should be tops. In principle, I don't think accidental ingestion through taking an illicit party drug is differnt from accidental ingestion through some other method. Yes, it's against the law, and a bit reckless, but the intent to cheat, or recklessness with the knowledge of probable consequence, is the issue of principle, here.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:57 pm

We all need to take a breath.

If they really do believe this was something out of their control, then they need to tell their story, and yes, if found guilty, appeal even if there is no chance or a reprieve. Just for the sake of their reputations.

If they are guilty of stupidity in anyway, ie taking something that had it mixed in, then take the whack, be honest, yes I think they need to be sacked, but if they can spend the time on suspension proving they are clean, keeping their fitness and skills up, be seen to be sorry, and do the right thing generally, I'm all for giving them another chance.

If they did it to get an unfair advantage, I never want to see them again.

More than likely, their careers are over, and they will now need to bare the stigma, disappointment, and loss of income. If it was party drugs I'm angry they took that risk. They will pay a terrible price, but it could be much worse. They are alive, not facing a firing squad, and their brains are not mushed by drugs. I'm disappointed, and still shocked. But I really hope they come out the other side in one peice, mentally, and physically.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:59 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ Inkling, it depends on the drugs, but in general I agree. Drug dealing in crystal meth, or heroin, is a crime for those with no conscience.

In JT and LK's case, if they ingested it unintentionally while doing the kind of stupid thing that we all did when we were 21, then I think a 12 month ban should be tops. In principle, I don't think accidental ingestion through taking an illicit party drug is differnt from accidental ingestion through some other method. Yes, it's against the law, and a bit reckless, but the intent to cheat, or recklessness with the knowledge of probable consequence, is the issue of principle, here.

True but folks have been done for sports drinks so.....

Bottom line, if professional athletes want to make damn sure they are clean, they need to monitor everything they ingest or inhale.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:12 am

This is taking us a little off track but a couple of things:

On drug dealers: yes, they deal in terrible substances that wreck lives and essentially profit off the misery of others, but they are selling something that people want, there isn't any coercion here. They're hardly any different to tobacco companies or the alcohol industry.

Drug takers: putting aside anything they may do while under the influence which can directly effect others, they are really committing a crime against themselves. To me it's closer to self harming than anything the rest of the community should be angry about.

And if we look at the bigger picture, a problem with drugs says less about the drug takers or dealers themselves and more about the society which breeds them. Drugs are bad, they ruin lives, break apart families, damage communities, but they are not the problem, eliminate drugs overnight and the underlying issues would still exist and past users would simply find some other method of self destruction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 42 of 44   

Jump to: