Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thomas, Keeffe reportedly test positive perf enhancing drugs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue if they fess up to using coke (or whatever) is that it might draw attention from the police. Might even be charged for using. And questions asked about who the illicit drug was sourced from, and who else was with them when they used it.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Sure, but career is gone otherwise?

Using, first time, not caught with a big holding, wouldn't get much more than a fine.

Risk presumably is that WADA might get involved and appeal the AFL rules as being too lenient for illicit drug use. Rogers got off but hadn't done anything illegal otherwise.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:12 pm

I don't want junkies down at the Club.
If they wanna snort shit go for it, just don't embarrass the Club, makes us all look bad...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
Was having this discussion with a lawyer friend the other day.

If Michael Rogers, the Australian cyclist, was cleared of clenbuterol use because of infected meat he ate in China, what in effect is the difference if these boys have inadvertently ingested the clenbuterol as a result of taking an illicit drug? In both cases, neither have taken a performance enhancing drug deliberately/knowingly nor enhanced performance through its use.

Given the 3 strikes policy that exists in the AFL, they should fess up to use of an illicit drug and then get on with things. What are people's thoughts on this?

Has already been ruled out as a defence. To escape being penalised athletes need to be able to demonstrate they have done everything reasonable to ensure they have not put banned substances in body. Rogers argued he could not reasonably forsee that the meat was contaminated. The same argument doesn't hold up for illegal substances which are often cut with other drugs and which the players should have known to avoid.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Quote:
The players would need to identify the source of contamination.
An example would be if a player had taken a nutritional supplement which did not identify the banned substance as an ingredient.
The clause could possibly also be applied to contaminated food.
Representatives for the players had investigated whether a contaminated steak had caused their positive tests, but that line of inquiry is unlikely to be pursued.
That clause relating to contamination could not be applied to a situation where an illicit drug was “cut” with a banned substance but knowingly ingested by an athlete.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:13 pm

^ ^^ Thanks
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:52 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
I don't want junkies down at the Club.
If they wanna snort shit go for it, just don't embarrass the Club, makes us all look bad...

I'm betting you would lose nearly the entire team if you set that standard. I don't know too many rich 20 y/o who don't get tempted at least once by the myriad of drugs available out there to "enhance" a night out!

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:24 pm

I really don't understand why anyone would use an expensive and not very available substance like clenbuturol to cut an illicit drug.

Are you trying to get high and look good at the same time?
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Read somewhere that one of the effects of Clen is that it opens up the blood ways. So I guess it might provide a better hit by getting the coke into the brain quicker.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:06 pm

I would be heading to AFL house with a can of petrol and a box of matches if our 2 guys get kicked out of the game after the Essendon guys got off without a mark!
The club was fined a million, they were chucked from the finals, the coach was exiled, and they missed draft picks, but in the end no illicit substances were touched... WHA??? Hang on! Did we miss something? Why aren't Essendon demanding their money back?
I said from day 1 of this farce that no Bombers player would miss a single game, there were just too many players involved and the logistics of fielding a 'B grade' Essendon team would cause too much trouble and cost the AFL too much money. Imagine 20,000 at the 'G' on Anzac day to see the Essendon 'chuck together' side get slaughtered by 240 points (actually I'd crawl all the way from Queensland over broken glass and excrement to see that, but that's beside the point!!). Imagine the uproar from clubs who didn’t play them twice! But mostly, imagine the cash the AFL would have lost.

Thomas and Keefe are both good players, Josh has shown moments of brilliance, but is still looking for consistency. Keefy is an important KPP, who was becoming a key component of our back six until his devastating ACL. We haven't seen his best since, though a full pre-season might have made all the difference. We'll probably never know now, and I doubt the club will fight very hard for them as we have those positions covered, and we were always going to struggle to find 4 or 5 blokes to dump at seasons end to make way for draft picks.

I'd love to see those guys in the Black & White again, but it seems very nearly impossible.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:18 pm

one of the queensland clubs will have a couple of ready made local boys in a year or two.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Watched Footy Classfieds and that Flog Gary Lyon wants this story to be Front Page News.

What a Bloody Try-Hard is

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Watched Footy Classfieds and that Flog Gary Lyon wants this story to be Front Page News.

I think he's suggesting that it will serve as a warning for other players rather than trying to target Collingwood players Dave.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I think he's suggesting that it will serve as a warning for other players rather than trying to target Collingwood players Dave.

What do you mean?

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:53 pm

Not really he was just saying how surprised he was that the story wasn't so mainstream, considering how hard the media were going at the Essendon story.

It just seems like the story was big for five minutes then it died out and no one seemed to really care much about it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 35 of 44   

Jump to: