Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stop the forced removal of aboriginal communities

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:13 pm
Post subject: Stop the forced removal of aboriginal communitiesReply with quote

Hi everyone, as you might know or don't know, the government has turned the water and electricity off and the army are going to forcibly removing aboriginals from their community. If you want to know more about what is happening #sosblakaustralia will enlighten you a little bit more. However it is evident that Gina has just been given the rights to FRANK shale gas. Anyway, #sosaustralia have been really successful over the past few days with over 2 million people from all over the world participating with the protest to put pressure and also make people aware of what is occurring and they would love people to come up with creative ways of getting the message across, so here is my attempt. check it out and lets see if you can do a great job to.

https://youtu.be/OqPzqVVb2xk

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm what? Shocked Confused

I know that Abbott made a comment about remote communities, but I wasn't aware it had actually become policy or happening anywhere in reality except for knee jerk reactions on social media.

Where exactly have the government turned off water and power and the army are about to forcibly remove people, and why haven't the mainstream media caught on?

is this fair dinkum?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:38 pm

To get the ADF to do such a thing would require consent from both the opposition leader and the Governor General. Neither would agree. Australian troops can not and will not be used in this way. The OP is doing them a great disservice by suggesting they would and might be well served deleting the post. He also might want to investigate the AACAP tasking which saw troops employed to assist these very same communities in building infrastructure and conducting trade training. If I was an ex or serving member I would feel downright insulted.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:53 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-12/indigenous-communities-closures-will-have-severe-consequences/5886840

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-19/protesters-rally-against-closure-aboriginal-remote-communities/6332526

Last edited by Morrigu on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:57 pm

A lot of people spell HMMM with three mmm's.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:08 pm

The claims presumably relate to the decisions referenced in this article:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-19/gooda-parker-close-the-gap-not-the-communities/6331150

Quote:
Compounding these losses, we are deeply concerned by the announcements of the Federal and Western Australian governments of their plan to cease the funding of ongoing essential services in remote communities in Western Australia. What they are talking about is not providing decent water, adequate power, proper waste disposal systems and appropriate sewerage plants to these so far un-named communities - services all other Australians take for granted.

I've seen stuff on Facebook suggesting this is already happening, but can't find any news stories on it yet.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 am

Dancing like Peter Garrett should never be tolerated.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:16 am

ronrat wrote:
To get the ADF to do such a thing would require consent from both the opposition leader and the Governor General. Neither would agree. Australian troops can not and will not be used in this way. The OP is doing them a great disservice by suggesting they would and might be well served deleting the post. He also might want to investigate the AACAP tasking which saw troops employed to assist these very same communities in building infrastructure and conducting trade training. If I was an ex or serving member I would feel downright insulted.

Perhaps we should find out what's actually happening before getting offended. Even if these claims are untrue and against procedure as you say, it's hardly an attack on the defence force. Doing the government's shitty work is more or less their job criteria.

I guess we'll have to see what the truth of the matter is. I've googled and still can't find any information about this, which suggests that it's either a beat up or the switching off of utilities is happening on the down-low and the media are yet to catch on. Information and misinformation alike travel fast on social media nowadays.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:33 am

David wrote:
ronrat wrote:

Perhaps we should find out what's actually happening before getting offended. Even if these claims are untrue and against procedure as you say, it's hardly an attack on the defence force. Doing the government's shitty work is more or less their job criteria.

I guess we'll have to see what the truth of the matter is. I've googled and still can't find any information about this, which suggests that it's either a beat up or the switching off of utilities is happening on the down-low and the media are yet to catch on. Information and misinformation alike travel fast on social media nowadays.

Read the OP. It clearly says the Army will help. It states all this as fact.
The ADF can assist in natural disasters etc but only if asked by state or national bodies and it is agreed by the security committee. They can not be used as a Police force within our boundaries and certainly not in this way unless we are in warlike conditions such as WW11. Why isit so $$%^%%$ hard to get through to people. The Army will NEVER be involved in whatever bullshit the OP has ditched up. They have pledged to protect our citizens. The officers commission is authorised by the Queen and the Governor General. He will not agree to this. This is not a procedural thing. This is about culture, the constitution and convention. In fact he could question the PM about the oaths they took and advise him to stand down.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:24 am
Post subject: Re: Stop the forced removal of aboriginal communitiesReply with quote

malteaser wrote:
Hi everyone, as you might know or don't know, the government has turned the water and electricity off and the army are going to forcibly removing aboriginals from their community.

...come up with creative ways of getting the message across, so here is my attempt. check it out and lets see if you can do a great job to.

Haha great work! Very Happy

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:22 am
Post subject: Re: Stop the forced removal of aboriginal communitiesReply with quote

malteaser wrote:
Hi everyone, as you might know or don't know, the government has turned the water and electricity off and the army are going to forcibly removing aboriginals from their community. If you want to know more about what is happening #sosblakaustralia will enlighten you a little bit more. However it is evident that Gina has just been given the rights to FRANK shale gas. Anyway, #sosaustralia have been really successful over the past few days with over 2 million people from all over the world participating with the protest to put pressure and also make people aware of what is occurring and they would love people to come up with creative ways of getting the message across, so here is my attempt. check it out and lets see if you can do a great job to.

Great stuff Laughing Laughing

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 am

Oops. Too much data.
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:32 pm

thanks everyone for your support. Please sign this petition https://www.change.org/p/colin-barnett-stop-the-closure-of-the-homelands-state-and-federal-governments-must-fund-services-in-remote-aboriginal-communities

There has been a huge swell of support for this issue recently, it is amazing that the mass media continually focus on the negative of indigenous Australians, when was the last time we heard about anything that focus on what they provide for our society? Typical agenda setting by Govt, big business and media.

There will be a rally in Melbourne on the 10th of April, I would love to see plenty of pies supporters turn up.

Only carlton vs WC playing that night in WA.

https://www.facebook.com/events/431020920389568/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:40 pm

I accept that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for people to live in remote, unproductive communities. There is no reason for the State to pay to support people who choose to live that way, but if people still want to live out there once the funding has stopped then that should 100% be up to them. Forced eviction is bullshit.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:05 am

I will say this much: I think people of all political orientations find the topic of Indigenous welfare difficult to discuss because it's very sensitive and very complex. Because there are no easy answers, I suspect that some people cling onto incidents of perceived injustice towards Indigenous people because shouting at oppressors is the one time that they feel like they can speak on the subject with authority.

That's not to say they're wrong. Of course there have been terrible government decisions in this area, right up until the current day; and could well be that the WA government's decision is another step in that cycle (it certainly doesn't look good, from the little I've read about it).

And yet, I have no doubt that the conditions in some of these settlements are absolutely abysmal. It's easy to bag out governments for making apparently cruel and insensitive policy decisions, but where's a tenth of that passion and energy for the ongoing welfare of the people who stay behind in these places, for that of the kids who don't get a choice in growing up in poverty?

I'm not saying that the protestors are wrong here. I just think the discussion needs a little more nuance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: