Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

LoudOmeter was the least of our worries

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:06 am
Post subject: LoudOmeter was the least of our worriesReply with quote

The new catch-phrase of AFL 2015 is 'match day experience' and it's not going to be a happy experience if recent articles are anything to go by.

Last year we were bombarded with nonsensical gibberish, kissing crowd members and other brain-dead competitions. The LoudOMeter assaulted the senses and sent us scurrying inside and the ads were, well very very intrusive.

Now new match day initiatives have been announced by each club and it leads me to think that the people employed at AFL clubs are clueless, overpaid bogans. Just a brief look at the list of 'initiatives' will leave you reeling:

Geelong will ring a bell from the 1930s
Carlton will re-introduce a hovercraft. Yep you read that correctly, a hovercraft!
StKilda supporters will be issued with inflatable drum sticks; yeah just what they all want. At least they could have been realistic and made them inflatable wooden spoons.
Melbourne's initiative is being kept a secret because it doesn't want to encourage too many supporters to attend and so minimise the funding it receives from the rich clubs.
North has decided that a new club song will bring in more fans.
Perhaps more terrible than all though, is Hawthorn's initiative to play a selection of the players' favourite songs. I can just hear that awful crappy rap now.

This is the best that the collective minds at AFL clubs can come up with? Nobody thought of an amplified organ playing riffs at ball ups and boundary throw ins?

Yeah I know I'm a curmudgeonly old fart, but honestly, what's wrong with giving us a bit of peace and quiet during the breaks so that we can contemplate the stats on our smart devices? Oh wait, maybe a reliable internet connection might be the best place to start with the match day experience! There's a novel idea; give us something we all want!

Seriously, I'm not asking for a late Mozart quartet to be played at breaks, that would appeal to very few of us, but do we really have to be assaulted by blaring crap at every available second? This actually drives people away doesn't it? Or am I seriously out of touch?

One of the absolute delights about attending VFL games and training sessions is the quiet! A quiet punctuated by players calling out to each other and coaches willing on the boys to do better. The thwack as the ball hits a chest right in front of you. I can't get to many games, so the occasional VFL game and training is the next best thing and it's thoroughly enjoyable because there is no razzamatazz, no KissKam, LoudoMeter or amplified ads.

I suppose some marketing person will see an opportunity at training soon; it's only a matter of time before they ruin this too. Backwards ever backwards.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:19 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow up drumsticks? WTAF?
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:27 am

Well said, Neil. Making it harder and harder to actually want to go to the games when you get constantly bombarded with so much annoying stuff.

Oh well, at least the VFL games are still good to go to.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:42 am
Post subject: Re: LoudOmeter was the least of our worriesReply with quote

One of the absolute delights about attending VFL games and training sessions is the quiet! A quiet punctuated by players calling out to each other and coaches willing on the boys to do better. The thwack as the ball hits a chest right in front of you. I can't get to many games, so the occasional VFL game and training is the next best thing and it's thoroughly enjoyable because there is no razzamatazz, no KissKam, LoudoMeter or amplified ads.

I suppose some marketing person will see an opportunity at training soon; it's only a matter of time before they ruin this too. Backwards ever backwards.[/quote]
I second this statement.

melliot 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:46 am

Agree.

I actually find going to the footy almost anti-social. I catch up with mates nearly every week. You can only have a conversation with the person next to you. Any further and it's a major effort. The music/advertising is so loud it's too much effort.

Our best catch up time is at our car park BBQ or pub prior.

I love my music. And I like it loud. But not everyone likes MY music. I don't expect them to. Nor should I be expected to like (or forced to listen to) what they play.

They need to drop all the crap, and let people have a chat, listen to the pregame radio etc.

If they want fan interaction, I suggest one thing just before players run out. I think the Port Adelaide/Liverpool songs are fantastic examples. Simple, inclusive, and have meaning. I don't want a bombardment of nonsense.

I also think getting crowd participants in some sort on ground games like marking and kicking etc is fun too. Especially if the members selected are random. Come to a game, get on the G, win a prize.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 am

I am sure it means a lot to you. Tell me what you like most about your music.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Great post Neil!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:45 pm

think positive wrote:
Blow up drumsticks? WTAF?

they work really well at the Netball. They make a great sound in an enclosed stadium.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:05 pm

I remember using some free thunder sticks at Collingwood games a few seasons ago and they weren't a bad thing.

More info on St Kilda's plans is here: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-04-01/saints-spirit-to-come-alive-on-sunday

Hating the microphone idea and the selfie-stick.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:28 pm

The things they bring the Non-Footy Fans to the Games
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Well said Neil.

Once upon a time we used to go to the football to watch the football..........

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
Well said Neil.

Once upon a time we used to go to the football to watch the football..........

Ah yes. I remember those days.......

How novel, "football" being the game day experience.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:18 pm

I am in favour of the Kiss Cam Wink
Brenny 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Jezza wrote:
Great post Neil!

Anything with The Rock deserves and upvote... If there was one.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Excellent post Neil.

The problem comes from all the clubs and the AFL being influenced by PR gurus, marketing bods etc who want to get some money out of the game. And its a big money pit.

Couple that with the fact that most of the various club officials who 'volunteer' their time do so in order to influence decisions to issue PR and marketing contracts, and thus siphon the clubs' and AFL's money to mates in the business community. And of course kick-backs are paid.

Footy clubs have always had these lepers in their midst.

It doesn't matter that for over 100 years the game has sold itself. No, got to find some excuse to fund something, anything, so money can be extracted from the game (and ultimately, us).

The reality is you could remove all the artificial 'experience' from match day and attendance won't diminish - in fact it will probably increase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: