Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies expect to play finals: Pert

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think he believes it, and I also think he, bucks and the club are a mixture of over confident or delusional. We look to have taken another minor step backwards to look to the future, whilst other teams have developed. We're the 13th oldest playing group in the league and that's about where we'll end up I reckon. Take the emotion out of it and i think it's clear. We're re-building and have had to do a full scale one. No-one wants to admit it b/c clubs like Geelong have (so far) been able to avoid that, so you are at risk of sounding inferior. And our club hates to sound inferior. Ignorance is bliss....
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:52 pm

I think we can make the finals
I hope we win the GF
2010 many hoped we could play finals
Look what happened

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, what's the alternative: "We expect to get thumped a few times, generally lose and get a great draft pick come October"? Shocked

The alternative is not to say anything.

Better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:27 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
I actually think he believes it, and I also think he, bucks and the club are a mixture of over confident or delusional. We look to have taken another minor step backwards to look to the future, whilst other teams have developed. We're the 13th oldest playing group in the league and that's about where we'll end up I reckon. Take the emotion out of it and i think it's clear. We're re-building and have had to do a full scale one. No-one wants to admit it b/c clubs like Geelong have (so far) been able to avoid that, so you are at risk of sounding inferior. And our club hates to sound inferior. Ignorance is bliss....

full scale rebuild? we haven't bottomed out. we've missed the finals once in the last 8 or so years. yes, ignorance must be bliss.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Well I don't think we're going to make the finals this year, because we have lost too much experience in the side, with Lumumba,Maxwell, Beams and Ball departing. If we can improve in the second half of the season and win 8 - 10 games and start playing our youth in De Goey, Moore, Maynard, Gault, Karnezis, Kennedy, Grundy, Broomhead, Ramsay, Freeman and Goodyear, I will be very pleased and happy for Buckley to continue for another year.
If we keep falling back on the same old players who have been letting us down last year, in White, Young, Blair and Thomas, I think the coach should go.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:06 pm

well now, Perty would say that now, would he not, I hope hes right, but I just dunno, we are so very young and inexperienced right now. still, hope springs eternal, one never knows, next week against the Brizzie bears will show us a fair bit where we stand.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Damien wrote:
Stupied wrote:
We ran 8-3 last year before injuries took their toll, and that was with Cloke and Swan both running lame. I see no reason, barring another horror injury run, why we couldn't have a significant shot at making the 8.

Believe in our boys, friends. Believe.

Good post. I reckon we can make it. All you idiots who would criticise our CEO for his comments flip it over. Imagine if he came out and said 'this is a development year we don't expect to play finals'. You'd want him sacked.

It is a good point but factor in the loss of Beam, Maxwell, and H who all were influential.

On Pert, I'd be disappointed if the club et al weren't setting the bar high. Having high expectations should be the minimum we can expect. We'll go into season 2015 as serious underdogs and I hope opposition teams take us lightly.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:01 pm

cityslick1 wrote:

13th oldest, I'm surprised we're that high.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:24 pm

I suppose you can't hang the man for presenting a positive message in public. But if Gary genuinely believes we're going to make finals this year, he is going to be one very very disappointed Magpie...
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 pm

none are so blind as those who won't see...

If you don't think this is a full scale re-build, then you haven't paid attention to the list changes in the past 30 months.

*Most* of our hopes for another flag in the near future now rest with players like Grundy, Witts, Adams, Elliott, De Goey, Broomhead, Freeman, Scharenberg, Fasolo, Langdon, Kennedy, Moore, Williams, Sinclair, Seedsman, Frost... whilst hoping that it happens quick enough to still capture Cloke & Pendles at their peak, along with Reid & Brown being fit and firing. Making the finals this year isn't realistic imo.

Lets chat half way through the season and see if we've bottomed out.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:54 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
none are so blind as those who won't see...

If you don't think this is a full scale re-build, then you haven't paid attention to the list changes in the past 30 months.

*Most* of our hopes for another flag in the near future now rest with players like Grundy, Witts, Adams, Elliott, De Goey, Broomhead, Freeman, Scharenberg, Fasolo, Langdon, Kennedy, Moore, Williams, Sinclair, Seedsman, Frost... whilst hoping that it happens quick enough to still capture Cloke & Pendles at their peak, along with Reid & Brown being fit and firing. Making the finals this year isn't realistic imo.

Lets chat half way through the season and see if we've bottomed out.

I agree, definitely a full rebuild. Can't see it as anything different when you're squad has only 19 players with 50+ games and 2 of those (Elliott and Fasolo) only just that. Tried soft builds 2010 and 11 and it has progressed in intensity because those 2 drafts in particular weren't able to shore up the list longer term. Each season since the 2010 flag we've seen massive list turnover (some bad, some good) and thankfully the last 3 drafts appear to have allowed us to significant quality to the list.

But I don't see why that should temper our expectations that a few of the emerging kids can step up ala Langdon, Elliott, and Williams over the last year or 2. Witts and Grundy being the key guys this year even though it's still premature for rucks of their age.
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:25 pm

cityslick1 wrote:
I actually think he believes it, and I also think he, bucks and the club are a mixture of over confident or delusional.

That gave me quite a chuckle.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Actually, every CEO of every club, would now be saying the exact same as Perty, no body comes out, pre season, memberships etc, and says " we don't have a dogs hope in hell of making the Finals " Get real !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:42 am

Of course Gary was going to tow the company line! We are a massive club in many ways and expectations are always going to be high but deep down many know that playing finals will be tough but not an impossible task if everything goes right for us in various ways.

Assuming Pert and the rest of the Collingwood board including Eddie think we should be playing finals then Bucks will be under real pressure if that intended goal isn't reached this year.

I still think we're a fair way off to being a top 8 team but I'll be very happy to be proven wrong if we exceed the expectations of most media pundits. If we're able to win 10 games this year, not finish below 11th and see the kids developing nicely I'll consider that a successful year as we enter into 2016. I know many will disagree with that but I just think we're in a full rebuild now and expecting a finals spot is unrealistic considering our current list situation.

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:16 am

Jezza wrote:

I still think we're a fair way off to being a top 8 team but I'll be very happy to be proven wrong if we exceed the expectations of most media pundits. If we're able to win 10 games this year, not finish below 11th and see the kids developing nicely I'll consider that a successful year as we enter into 2016.

Pretty much my take on things as well, Jezza. After last year, I thought, that's the worst we could do, we wont go below that.

After seeing the NAB challenge games, we've got major work to do, and things could get uglier depending on the plan and personnel.

I did say last year we were in for a couple of years of pain.......let's hope the pain is only some bandages.........and no casts or straitjackets!

The Footscray game just recently was savage to the confidence. Gee-wiz that game from Collingwood was woeful.

Go the Pies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: