Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why Nathan Buckley is the right man for the job

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
TimetoFly wrote:
Neil you make some very good points, but unfortunately all you are doing is making excuses for him.

To put it simply he cant coach.
I ask you this, who has improved under Bucks as coach?

Hi Dan
Well I won't try to answer all of your questions but I'll deal with your opening points and the first question.

I suppose some would see losing key play makers as excuses, but few coaches in recent times have had to deal with 3 years of disastrous injuries as Bucks has. This is beyond dispute I think.

Your second point is that he can't coach and you ask questions by way of evidence. Who has improved under Bucks? I'll start with players who were in the team when he took over.
-Scott Pendlebury has. He was good anyway, but he is now in the top 4 or 5 in the game. Bucks made him Captain.
-Dayne Beams certainly did. Beams never did much in finals I must admit, but he realised his potential under Bucks no doubt.
-Goldsack has. Many are critical of Goldy, but when Goldy played well we won last year.
-Macaffer is a much better footballer under Bucks. He's taught him a whole new style as a run-with tagger who hurts on the rebound.
-Steele Sidebottom is a better player now too. He is more accountable as a footballer and in 2014 I think he was at his most consistent.
-Ben Reid is a more rounded player under Bucks. He can swing and be very dangerous up forward. If he can play consistent footy that is.

New players Bucks has improved:
-Jamie Elliott - had a great year last year and will shine this year.
-Jack Frost - became one of our most reliable defenders last year. Stood up when all around him fell.
-Tom Langdon - was given the chance and took it.
-Brodie Grundy - developing nicely. Certainly will be better this year.
-Jarryd Witts - another big bloke ready to build

I reckon I could find a few more but the brains a bit weary tonight. Perhaps other Nicksters can answer your tactical questions.

Very Happy

Some Players will always improve no matter who is coach. I would say pendelbury beams would still be gems even if I was coach.. And I couldn't coach a little league team..

No doubt bucks has been cruelled by injuries. But the worrying signs to me is this:

Beams Thomas shaw lumunba Dawes wellingham all left the club for various reasons.

But the common factor here is all these players (except for Dawes) are different chAracters that took some managing. All are very good footballers & my gut feel from the outside is that bucks couldn't relate or get the best out of them as they were all a little wild in there ways.

Instead of coaching and relating to that indifference bucks instead moved them on.. Every club has wayward characters but a good coach will manage that and still get the best out of them.

MM is great at this.

Dawes well bucks destroyed his confidence. He played him in a role that he wasn't suited to. Getting rid of a key forward who has played in a premiership is such a massive mistake.

Bucks is on record at the season launch of saying that we only want good characters at this club.. Now that's all fine and good in a dream world but footy clubs are made of so many different individuals and bucks i don't think can manage that.

I am sure most players enjoy bucks company but what makes a great coach is to have the ability to get the best out of each individual.

I can say with some confidence I would want beams Dawes Thomas wellingham shaw & lumanba all running around for us this year. Instead we have replaced them with players like lynch Russell young Adams Kennedy varcoe who are all worse players than we gave up..

Going to be long year I think and I have no doubt bucks will get moved on at seasons end.

I just hope we do it with dignity because bucks is a great human that conducts himself in the best possible way..

Last edited by TimetoFly on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 pm

BEAMER09 wrote:
I don't have an issue with Bucks. I just have an issue with the game plan - what is it?

Its a secret - even the players don't know it.

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Doc63 wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
I don't have an issue with Bucks. I just have an issue with the game plan - what is it?

Its a secret - even the players don't know it.

All I see is handball and that's crap.

And our kicking is poor.

And the season starts in a few weeks.

Go Bucks...

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
And it's why I'm going to make the same mistake if Scott Burns got the job

You've got no idea how people will go until the bum is in the seat

Right now I see a really poor side with a horrendous game plan. I don't see why because we loved Bucks as a player, he gets more time. He's paid large amounts of money to coach the side. And he's failing right now.

Also - the Bomber Thompson example is misguided. They were 10-12 and 6 million quid in debt. They were at the absolute end of that mid 90s period. We were pretty damned good in 2011 and, well...

Bomber Thompson example was actually good. Had 2000-2006 without success and there was enormous pressure to change coach before he turned them around in 2007.

So melbourne stuffed up by not giving Neeld 6 years? Should every team give coaches 6 years because of Thompson?

You just jump of on any tangent you think the post might have been about then....
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:19 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
jackcass wrote:

What makes you assume he doesn't?

Because he entertained the idea of coaching North before we concocted a succession plan.

Oh right, so he entertained an offer from the Kangas before the Pies came knocking.... right... that doesn't suggest he doesn't have the Pies best interests at heart, it says he had an interest in coaching....
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:19 pm

The season hasn't even started ffs. Let's see how we go this year before we make any rash judgements.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:26 pm

TimetoFly wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
TimetoFly wrote:
Neil you make some very good points, but unfortunately all you are doing is making excuses for him.

To put it simply he cant coach.
I ask you this, who has improved under Bucks as coach?

Hi Dan
Well I won't try to answer all of your questions but I'll deal with your opening points and the first question.

I suppose some would see losing key play makers as excuses, but few coaches in recent times have had to deal with 3 years of disastrous injuries as Bucks has. This is beyond dispute I think.

Your second point is that he can't coach and you ask questions by way of evidence. Who has improved under Bucks? I'll start with players who were in the team when he took over.
-Scott Pendlebury has. He was good anyway, but he is now in the top 4 or 5 in the game. Bucks made him Captain.
-Dayne Beams certainly did. Beams never did much in finals I must admit, but he realised his potential under Bucks no doubt.
-Goldsack has. Many are critical of Goldy, but when Goldy played well we won last year.
-Macaffer is a much better footballer under Bucks. He's taught him a whole new style as a run-with tagger who hurts on the rebound.
-Steele Sidebottom is a better player now too. He is more accountable as a footballer and in 2014 I think he was at his most consistent.
-Ben Reid is a more rounded player under Bucks. He can swing and be very dangerous up forward. If he can play consistent footy that is.

New players Bucks has improved:
-Jamie Elliott - had a great year last year and will shine this year.
-Jack Frost - became one of our most reliable defenders last year. Stood up when all around him fell.
-Tom Langdon - was given the chance and took it.
-Brodie Grundy - developing nicely. Certainly will be better this year.
-Jarryd Witts - another big bloke ready to build

I reckon I could find a few more but the brains a bit weary tonight. Perhaps other Nicksters can answer your tactical questions.

Very Happy

Some Players will always improve no matter who is coach. I would say pendelbury beams would still be gems even if I was coach.. And I couldn't coach a little league team..

No doubt bucks has been cruelled by injuries. But the worrying signs to me is this:

Beams Thomas shaw lumunba Dawes wellingham all left the club for various reasons.

But the common factor here is all these players (except for Dawes) are different chAracters that took some managing. All are very good footballers & my gut feel from the outside is that bucks couldn't relate or get the best out of them as they were all a little wild in there ways.

Instead of coaching and relating to that indifference bucks instead moved them on.. Every club has wayward characters but a good coach will manage that and still get the best out of them.

MM is great at this.

Dawes well bucks destroyed his confidence. He played him in a role that he wasn't suited to. Getting rid of a key forward who has played in a premiership is such a massive mistake.

Bucks is on record at the season launch of saying that we only want good characters at this club.. Now that's all fine and good in a dream world but footy clubs are made of so many different individuals and bucks i don't think can manage that.

I am sure most players enjoy bucks company but what makes a great coach is to have the ability to get the best out of each individual.

I can say with some confidence I would want beams Dawes Thomas wellingham shaw & lumanba all running around for us this year. Instead we have replaced them with players like lynch Russell young Adams Kennedy varcoe who are all worse players than we gave up..

Going to be long year I think and I have no doubt bucks will get moved on at seasons end.

I just hope we do it with dignity because bucks is a great human that conducts himself in the best possible way..

So Bucks doesn't improve players and any that have improved under his coaching have done so in spite of his coaching.... I think I'm getting it now.

Oh, and the player departures....

Dawes was a required player, just not guaranteed a senior berth, he'd have to earn it and on his 2012 form that's quite reasonable.

Wellingham was a required player, had a contract offer on the table.

Thomas was a required player, had a contract on the table, left for $$$s.

Beams was a required player, still had 1 year to run on a contract and an extension on offer.

H and Shaw were moved on and while I'd like to still have them at the club I've moved on.

I agree, they all left for a variety of reasons but of the 6 you cited, only 2 can in any way be laid at the feet of Bucks on available evidence.

Last edited by jackcass on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Nice work Neil. I think your analysis shows that many things impact on the success of the team and sometimes its just luck regardless of the management.
I think 2012 and 2013 were affected by bad luck more than the coach. Also I'd rather not finish 5th every year. Near enough is not good enough and you need to fall a bit to grow a champion team. It took Malthouse 10 years remember and that premierships was the result of the whole club, not just the coach. Bucks should coach for a few years yet in my opinion and be told that he has the faith of the board.
Im positive and I'll enjoy watching the team develop this year.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:52 pm

At this point in time, Bucks is the right man for the job. The only person that can take his place; and only if we show 0 improvement over the next two seasons, is Clarko.

If we show improvement (my improvement is modest and small - the eight this year and next) then Bucks stays. If we don't and we can't land Clarko, then he stays too.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 pm

That's an impressive post Neil but I'll respectfully disagree on some of your points.

There's no disputing that injuries have killed us in the past few years but I believe that's a mixture of bad luck that has befallen us and the fact that our management of injured players has been appalling at times and those in the fitness department need to be held to account for that.

In regards to Bucks himself, I've always admired him as an individual and I still regard him as one of Collingwood's best ever players and his dedication and love for the club cannot be questioned whatsoever but we cannot overlook the fact that Bucks has demonstrated many flaws as a coach.

For starters his game plan is unrecognisable. For the whole match last night I attempted to ascertain what we were trying to achieve but all I could see was us trying to win the ball and then trying to kick it aimlessly in the forward line in the hope that Cloke would get on the end of these forward line deliveries and this was when we didn't actually turn it over which was frequent sadly. We lack any structure or cohesion and the players are second guessing themselves everywhere. It's been very painful to watch and a recurring theme sadly since the beginning of the second half of last year.

Despite some of the big exits we witnessed I think Bucks and the recruiters have done very well to select some very talented youngsters and we have four youngsters who are top 10 picks but at the moment they're too raw and too young to have an immediate impact. Our success rate within free agency has been tremendously small and I actually think free agency has benefited sides who were strong and peaking from about 2012 onwards. The problem for sides like us, St.Kilda and the Bulldogs is that free agency wasn't around when we were peaking and regular top 4 teams and hence we suffered for it whereas sides like Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney have benefited from this and hence they've prolonged their stay near the top of the ladder whereas without free agency it's possible that they may have declined sooner than expected now.

This year is a big year for Bucks. He needs to start demonstrating that we're heading in the right direction as a football club. This doesn't necessarily mean that making finals is the only way that success will be measured on but there needs to be a sign that our players are improving, that the game plan is starting to progress and develop nicely and there's a sense of belief within the club that things are heading in the right direction because at the moment most fans don't see an end to this current decline and wonder how long we have to continue to decline until we see positive results.

Anyway good thread overall and thanks for starting it Neil! Smile

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 am

If we don't win a final this year, Bucks would have grossed more than $1.6 million from the club over four years for one finals win. That's just not good enough.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:31 am

Great post Neil, I like your cool, rational analysis. The one place I disagree with you is your rather pessimistic prediction for this season if injuries play a significant role. I reckon our second-tier players are good enough - or soon will be good enough - to get us close to the eight.

In other words, our fringe-of-selection players, the ones who will have to step up and play key roles if, say, Cloke, Pendlebury, Brown and Reid all go down, have the talent and the will to beat quite a few teams. They won't beat top 5 sides, but they can fall over the line against the also-rans and leave us finishing in the middling slots, say 8 to 12, give or take.

We have a lot of strength on the bottom half of our list: our 30th and 35th best players are better than their equivalents at most other clubs.

Where we fall down is in the top half of our list: our best ten is possibly the weakest best ten in the comp. Pendlebury is magnificent, after him, you'd struggle to find a genuine All-Australian prospect. Elliott might go close; Sidebottom is pretty good; Beams was in the zone but he's gone. There aren't any others. Pendlebury, Sidebottom, and Elliott. The next best eight players are all named "Daylight". (I am assuming that Swan is unable to recapture his old form. Swanny at his best would, of course, count as one of our best four. Is he finished? Has he got one more golden year? Who can say?)

Now we will undoubtedly have a few youngsters step up and turn themselves into genuine B graders heading towards A grade. Let's say that three of them do that this year. (It might be, just for example, Broomhead, Frost, and Adams, but pick whoever you fancy.) It still leaves us with a top ten no better than that of any struggling middle-rank club, and no realistic shot at the top 4, though a fair chance at finishing in the 6 to 12 region.

In short, if we have a good year with injuries, we should finish 6 to 12; and if we have a bad year with injuries, we should finish 8 to 12.

This year, forget the injuries. This year is all about finding and developing the next generation of stars.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:13 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The problem is Cloke not Bucks.

Against the Hawks we won without Cloke. Since cloke's return we've lost both games. Put simply, when Cloke plays we become far too predictable and even if we get the ball to him, his conversion rate is sub par.

My solution is to play Gault, White and Witts down forward and leave Cloke to collect his $750,000 pa playing in the VFL. Confused

Sadly, I have to agree, at least as to your diagnosis of the problem. Me, I'd play Cloke on the wing, or even at centre-half back. Yep, his delivery is a bit questionable, but I'd rather see Cloke getting the pill and only finding a forward target half the time (who then kicks a goal most of the time if it's someone like Elliott or Fasolo or Gault) than see Cloke not getting the ball most of the time and not kicking a goal more than half the time when he does get it.

Look at the examples set by Pavlich and Matthew Richardson - both "pure" marking forwards who turned out to do some of their best work playing in the middle of the ground. Very hard boys to match up on. Every now and then, when Cloke slips up the ground to provide a target outside the defensive 50, he is a different player. He needs to figure out how to do more with the pill than swing around onto his left foot and boom it long and high every single time, but he's an intelligent man; no reason he can't learn a new trick or two.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:51 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
I mostly agree with the OP, but not with the thread title. The best Buckley has achieved for a season so far is a par effort, with at least 3 of his 4 seasons being a disappointment. How much of a pass we give him for injuries is debatable, but I don't see how there can be any certainty that he is the right man to take us forward. Due to external circumstances we should give him more time to prove himself, but not forever.

And I think it's important to point out that much of the upheaval we have suffered through in these past three years has been due to the handover. Sure, we would have had issues had we not made the mistake of an unconventional coaching change, but I don't think the damage to team culture would have been anything like as great. This is not Buckley's fault, but there is an argument to be made that his handling of the situation has only exacerbated the problem.

Have I missed something here? I was under the impression that Buckley had only coached 3 seasons. Unless you're writing off an entire year this year based on 2 dissapointing NAB games?
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 am

The problem always was going to be for bucks was that he took over a team that played in 2 back to back grand finals.. So unless he delivered a flag or even played off in a grand final in the years after he would be under the pump.

Chris Scott had a similar issue when he took over but he won a flag in his first year.

The only point I can see in bucks favour was when we played in bAck to back grand finals in 2002 & 2003 we bottomed out big time. It took the club 3 years to reach the finals again..

U am not sure bucks has that kind if time. If we get this decision wrong ethier way we could be down for a decade.

Big decisions need to be Made a made and I hope they are In The hope that we forget he is a favourite son.

U have faith in Eddie because he has made tough decisions before in getting rid of shaw and moving from Vic park.

Eddie is the right man for the job but I am not sure bucks is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: