Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why Nathan Buckley is the right man for the job

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Neil but this is bullshit.

The only real positives from Bucks is list management. Make him the personnel or list manager because he is proving to be a shithouse coach and tactician.

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:06 pm

At the end of 2011 we were a team on the up so disagree with your assessment. We should have won 2 more flags after 2010
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:17 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Sorry Neil but this is bullshit.

The only real positives from Bucks is list management. Make him the personnel or list manager because he is proving to be a shithouse coach and tactician.

Actually, I just remembered:

White
Varcoe
Young
Russell
Adams

Just make Bucks the the man who has to let go of players. His recruitment of established players is shit also.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:21 pm

The only genuine positive I've seen with Buckley is that he is more prepared to make positional changes if a matchup isn't working or if circumstances necessitate a move whereas Malthouse would very seldom do so. Oh and Bux has a more pleasant press conference demeanour than MM.

Otherwise he's shown a stubbornness to persevere with under performing players and a flawed game plan, questionable people management skills (not all his fault though that's for damn sure) and overconfidence with the strength of his list.

I don't fault stubbornness if you are proven right but when you are constantly being proven wrong, as our rapidly declining fortunes indicate then that just becomes bloody mindedness and that is hurting our club (which is something I'm sure Buckley wouldn't willingly do).

If we serve up further shit sandwiches like last nights debacle in the first month of the year then Buckley should be made to present to independent assessors as to why he deserves to keep his job imo and if he's anything less than convincing he goes. Normally you'd make a coach present to the board but I have no faith that Eddie could make a rational and dispassionate decision on the coaches future and therein lies another problem with this situation.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Fact is ole defender has been right all along.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:29 pm

I like your post Neil. I'm certainly of the opinion that one of our greatest derserves more time. To suggest he can't coach is premature for the reasons you point out.

Hawthorn last year were not only ravaged by injury, they also lost there coach for an extended period. To win back to back was an achievement that is still under appreciated by most.

We were also hit by injuries but our list capitulated compared to theirs. That's not a reflection on Bucks. It's a reflection of a young list who'd lost a lot of experience.

I keep reading about the yearning for the players that have moved on. The reality is that none of them have hurt us. Ie Wellingham, Dawes, Thomas, Shaw. And the others were ready to hang them up anyway ie Maxwell, Didak Jolly.

Bomber Thompson was probably on the verge of being axed before he started a dynasty at Geelong.

If we were to sack Buckley and he lobbed at another club and had success the usual suspects would be screaming in hindsight.

I can't believe that people are still re-raising the Malthouse discussion after a pre season loss.

The Beams departure will probably hurt us and missing out on Mitch Clark might too. But we continue to draft young talent and we have a great Captain to steer us into the next era.

Someone mentioned Port Adelaide in another thread. Basket case to Premiership contender in 12 months. Most suggest it was the coach. Reality is they could only go one way. Up. Things can change quickly folks.

As you pointed out; to step in after back to back GF's was always a tall order for Bucks. Scott had a freak result at Geelong in a similar scenario but yes that was freak.

If Bucks can't coach, how did he achieve 8-3 at the halfway mark last year.

I'd rather see him play an attacking game plan even if the players can't quite execute it ATM.

Anyway time to stop rambling. I still have faith in Nathan Buckley as coach and be buggered if I'm gunna panic after a meaningless NAB cup game. I know that the club won't either.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Damien wrote:
I like your post Neil. I'm certainly of the opinion that one of our greatest derserves more time. To suggest he can't coach is premature for the reasons you point out.

Hawthorn last year were not only ravaged by injury, they also lost there coach for an extended period. To win back to back was an achievement that is still under appreciated by most.

We were also hit by injuries but our list capitulated compared to theirs. That's not a reflection on Bucks. It's a reflection of a young list who'd lost a lot of experience.

I keep reading about the yearning for the players that have moved on. The reality is that none of them have hurt us. Ie Wellingham, Dawes, Thomas, Shaw. And the others were ready to hang them up anyway ie Maxwell, Didak Jolly.

Bomber Thompson was probably on the verge of being axed before he started a dynasty at Geelong.

If we were to sack Buckley and he lobbed at another club and had success the usual suspects would be screaming in hindsight.

I can't believe that people are still re-raising the Malthouse discussion after a pre season loss.

The Beams departure will probably hurt us and missing out on Mitch Clark might too. But we continue to draft young talent and we have a great Captain to steer us into the next era.

Someone mentioned Port Adelaide in another thread. Basket case to Premiership contender in 12 months. Most suggest it was the coach. Reality is they could only go one way. Up.

As you pointed out; to step in after back to back GF's was always a tall order for Bucks. Scott had a freak result at Geelong in a similar scenario but yes that was freak.

I'd rather see him play an attacking game plan even if the players can't quite execute it ATM.

Anyway time to stop rambling. I still have faith in Nathan Buckley as coach and be buggered if I'm gunna panic after a meaningless NAB cup game. I know that the club won't either.

And that bold bit is the problem. Bucks the player is a different person to Bucks the coach. He deserves no more latitude than any other person appointed as coach. 3 years of decline plus a poor pre-season in year 4 is enough.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Neil as usual a typical logical post but alas mate I can't fully agree.
Yes we have had a run of injuries more so to key players than most clubs
I have said all along bucks gets to at least mid year before his passport is stamped either way.
Like many others I'm still waiting to see a game plan of substance that makes us competitive week in week out. To me this is more important than actually winning at least it shows a plan moving forward.
As for bucks and can he coach the jury is well and truly out still. I would be asking this question
Can all the coaches coach in a cohesive fashion heading in the same direction ?
What the dogs showed last night they have a plan and they stick to it and there coach has been there for 6 months.
Our lack of a game plan is highlighted further by our abysmal foot skills.
We also lack genuine pace in players who can then use the ball well. We don't even have the players who are quick between the ears like a Mitchell that cover there lack of foot speed with footy smarts.
Pendles is carrying the mid field and needs help badly.
Sidey plays his best footy on the outside with some freedom not trying to win the ball. He doesn't work at his best under pressure. Beams & Ball are huge losses in this regard.
I would be delighted if we played all the under 25's we can and see if they can actually play.
I hope bucks can coach or the development of our prize recruits the past 2yrs is being wasted.
Time will tell
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:40 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Damien wrote:

Someone mentioned Port Adelaide in another thread. Basket case to Premiership contender in 12 months. Most suggest it was the coach. Reality is they could only go one way. Up.

And that bold bit is the problem. Bucks the player is a different person to Bucks the coach. He deserves no more latitude than any other person appointed as coach. 3 years of decline plus a poor pre-season in year 4 is enough.

I knew some cynic would pick that up. It's not my point. But I guess it's my heart talking a bit. I reckon golden boy at Essendon is in the same boat. all the distraction over there aside, he hasn't proved himself yet. If some real progress isn't shown by seasons end I'd concede Bucks should walk. Voss is the other example but I reckon Brisbane unfairly moved too early on him.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
So Bucks is still in Re-Bulding Faze and he should given more time to see his plan to the End?

Who are you responding to?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Damien wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Damien wrote:

I knew some cynic would pick that up. It's not my point. But I guess it's my heart talking a bit. I reckon golden boy at Essendon is in the same boat. all the distraction over there aside, he hasn't proved himself yet. If some real progress isn't shown by seasons end I'd concede Bucks should walk. Voss is the other example but I reckon Brisbane unfairly moved too early on him.

Once again, that romantic notion that Bucks would walk. What makes you think he has the best interest of the club at heart. He is employed as a coach to coach the team and he will do say so long as he is getting paid. He won't graciously admit defeat and walk away head held high.

We have to completely disassociate the player / captain from the coach. He is paid to coach and if he is failing (which he is), then the club has to sack him.

Brisbane had the balls to pull the plug on Voss who was better credentialed as a player than Bucks. We can't let nostalgia and romance get in the way of good business decisions.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:01 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Damien wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Damien wrote:

Once again, that romantic notion that Bucks would walk. What makes you think he has the best interest of the club at heart. He is employed as a coach to coach the team and he will do say so long as he is getting paid. He won't graciously admit defeat and walk away head held high.

We have to completely disassociate the player / captain from the coach. He is paid to coach and if he is failing (which he is), then the club has to sack him.

Brisbane had the balls to pull the plug on Voss who was better credentialed as a player than Bucks. We can't let nostalgia and romance get in the way of good business decisions.

And it's why I'm going to make the same mistake if Scott Burns got the job

You've got no idea how people will go until the bum is in the seat

Right now I see a really poor side with a horrendous game plan. I don't see why because we loved Bucks as a player, he gets more time. He's paid large amounts of money to coach the side. And he's failing right now.

Also - the Bomber Thompson example is misguided. They were 10-12 and 6 million quid in debt. They were at the absolute end of that mid 90s period. We were pretty damned good in 2011 and, well...

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:42 pm

He should be sacked as soon as we mathematically can't make finals, hopefully it doesn't come to that, but no $£$%^%%$ way he coaches us in 2016 if we miss finals again.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:48 pm

That's just silly - the team isn't going to make the finals, barring miracles. By mid-season, I want it full of the talented kids, not a whole lot of older guys who aren't capable of taking the team all the way, just so Buckley can satisfy some arbitrary requirement to be coach of the 11th worst team in the league. I want to see the team aiming to develop the next premiership squad, with or without the present coach. I don't want to see mediocrity. I had enough of that through the Hafey years and the Malthouse years.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:49 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Damien wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Damien wrote:

What makes you assume he doesn't?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: