Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2015 Annual BTP - Rating the playing List

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 pm
Post subject: 2015 Annual BTP - Rating the playing ListReply with quote

Once again my annual BTP opinion piece, as we gear up towards round one this is my assessment, and as opinions go, feel free to disagree! Wink

My big negative for 2015 is too many players with a question marks over disposal, and as a result don't be surprised if we are in the bottom eight.

However, some poor disposal players, particularly younger ones, improve as their confidence improves, and that comes with experience.

The positive is that with more games into the young blokes, what ever happens this year, 2016 will be better.

I do rate our chances in 2015, providing we have a decent run with injury (we are due), and natural improvement of a few younger blokes I rate us somewhere between 5th - 8th.

Anyway this is my BTP assessment of where our players are at:

Taylor Adams Seems to have tried too hard at times in 2014, needs to become more settled (off field as well) and improve disposal.

Tony Armstrong (R) Not sold, no physical presence, I don't expect him to be on the list in 2016

Brendan Abbott Project player. Has the tools but not the fitness base or tank at this stage.

Jarryd Blair Statistically has dropped off quite a bit in all departments over the last few seasons, needs to score more to hold a place.

Nathan Brown Is important to our structure, if he can stay injury free. Will be given a big job every week. One of the keys in 2015.

Tim Broomhead Has shown glimpses to date with pace and class. Needs to be one that demands selection and takes it to the next level if we are to improve.

Travis Cloke Can be one of the most dangerous forwards in the game, gets frustrated by his treatment from the opposition and umpires too often for mine. His goal kicking frustrates the fans, expect nothing to change.

Mason Cox Equal tallest in the competition, needs time, lots of time to develop his skills.

Jack Crisp Looked good for Brisbane in the last few games in 2014, could be a versatile player, but kicking isn't that impressive.

Jordan DeGoey Has looked good in pre-season, shows class and reads the play well, an exciting development year ahead.

Sam Dwyer Has talent and always gives 100%, but may become a depth player only.

Jamie Elliott Great 2014, now needs to back it up. A move to the midfield is on the cards, has pace and skill. Problem being if we move him we rob one of our few avenues to goal!

Alex Fasolo Has the skills but does he have the application? If it clicks for him, it would be a huge bonus. If it doesn't? Last chance.

Jack Frost (R) Has become one of our most reliable defenders, but for list management reasons is still a rookie. Will be very important in 2015 and beyond.

Nathan Freeman 2014 ruined by injury, has pace and goes hard, but has to over come 12 months out of the game, 2015 will be a development year.

Corey Gault (R) Has shown a bit at times, and we have persisted with him (drafted 2011 ND). Will he become the missing link up forward? A big ask, but don't be surprised.

Brodie Grundy Showed what he is capable of in 2013, but poor in 2014. As DTM said, new attitude seems apparent, needs to become dangerous up forward.

Tyson Goldsack Provides versatility but needs to be able to play most of the year as a defensive forward for the Pies to improve.

Matthew Goodyear Athletic, with good endurance, but has question marks over his disposal. Development year.

Levi Greenwood Hard at it, but not impressed with his skills. Was good for the Roos in 2014, a repeat performance please.

Ben Kennedy Gets knocked over a lot, but keeps getting up, needs to cement a position in the team, kicking lacks penetration.

Lachlan Keeffe Has the size and speed to match the opposition key forwards. Seems to have lost confidence.

Patrick Karnezis Has been given injury excuses, but although he has talent, does he have the application? I think not.

Tom Langdon Very good early, before he tired late in the season. Was asked to do a lot and stood up well. Possible future leader, could he move to the midfield?

Brent Macaffer Another knee, will be LTI, but may make a return before seasons end, can't expect too much.

Micheal Manteit (R) Rated highly, but still made it through to the rookie draft? Disposal is rated as good which is a relief, will spend the year in the VFL.

Jonathon Marsh He is a bit of a cult figure, has pace and flair, needs to force his way into the team by big performances in the VFL.

Brendan Maynard A bit of a smokey from Hine, good disposer and decision make, but lacks endurance. Endurance we can improve.

Darcy Moore Development year, but we have a right to be excited about this blokes future forward or back. Most think they will start him in defence.

Adam Oxley I'd expect quite a bit from him in 2015, otherwise he won't be here in 2016.

Scott Pendlebury Is he the best or second best player in the AFL? Needs support players to develop or his prime years could be wasted.

Ben Reid Fit and playing football makes us a better side, prefer him in defence. 15 - 20 games will be a bonus.

Jackson Ramsay Still very light weight, and has been given time to develop, 2015 needs to be a break out year.

Steele Sidebottom Important midfield player who, although one paced, has a huge tank. Without Beams his output could help decide our position in 2015.

Ben Sinclair 2014 ruined by injury, has pace and goes hard, but disposal is a worry.

Dane Swan Experience is what he brings, but does he have the break away speed anymore? Love the champ, but 2014 was well below par.

Paul Seedsman Experience may improve his decision making, he has potential to become what we lack in the run and carry department.

Matthew Scharenberg Exciting prospect, but 2014 was ruined by injury, from all accounts the ACL recovery is ahead of schedule, will be given time, may see him later in the year.

Josh Thomas Could be a break out year after 32 games for this in and under mid, but another with question marks over disposal and decision making.

Alan Toovey Was OK in 2014, but needs to step up as a defensive leader in 2015. At 27 he is in his prime.

Travis Varcoe Has pace and potentially provides run and carry, although his disposal efficiency is not that great. Does provide versatility.

Jarrod Witts Still young, and injury has curbed his pre-season. Needs to add a bit of mongrel to his game (Scotty Burns style), and become more dangerous when up forward.

Jesse White His best is good but, 2014 was not good enough. There is a role for him if he grabs it. I don't mind him as second ruck, seems to get him into the game.

Marley Williams Had a very disrupted 2014 due to external pressures. I'm hopeful he can take the next step in 2015.

Clinton Young Injury prone through-out his career. He may not be on the list beyond 2015.

Last edited by Born to Pie on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Cloke Can be one of the most dangerous forwards in the game, gets frustrated by his treatment from the opposition and umpires too often for mine. His goal kicking frustrates the fans, expect nothing to change Laughing Crying or Very sad Laughing

A great description of poor old Trav!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Hard on Karnezis. Kicked goals consistently in the VFL every chance he got between hammies which is all he could do. Club resisted picking him last year to their credit to get his body right. Rated highly by Brisbane who were spewing he left.

Langdon to the midfield? The kids a natural born attacking Backman. The only one who actually looks composed up there when the heats on. No way.

Opinions. Like aresholes. We all got em.

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Pretty good summary...

Quite a few players that are approaching 3-5 seasons really need to start stepping up.

Thomas, Seedsman, Blair, Witts, Adams, White etc are the key to us going up the ladder.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Quote:
Matthew Scharenberg Exciting prospect, but 2014 was ruined by injury, from all accounts the ACL recovery is ahead of schedule, will be given time, may see him later in the year

Be back in 3-4 Weeks

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:03 pm

I think you are relating Sinclair's goal kicking ability as his only kicking ability.

Yes, poor shot for goal. But his field kicking is very solid. I trust him with the ball coming out of the back line. Rarely turns it over now.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 am
Post subject: Re: 2015 Annual BTP - Rating the playing ListReply with quote

Born to Pie wrote:

Micheal Manteit (R) Rated highly, but still made it through to the rookie draft? Disposal is rated as good which is a relief, will spend the year in the VFL.

Not so sure BTP. Manteit has been a standout for me over the preseason.
From day one he made us take notice with his determination in the time trial. From memory he finished 3rd and ahead of Varcoe. I thought this may have been a case of the new kid wanting to impress and going all out, but it wasn't. Michael followed up in every session.

What have I learned about him? Well he has fantastic endurance already which leads me to think he could play midfield. He is fast, is a penetrating kick and works really hard. Then there is that quality that can't be taught; the ability to read the play and get to where the ball is.

That we picked him up at No.8 in the Rookie Draft was surprising; I remember Hine saying they were delighted and surprised he was still there as many good judges thought he'd go in the top 3.

From early on in training drills he reminded me of that other Rookie, Tom Langdon. I remember watching Langdon on a blisteringly hot Family Day in 2014. He just kept reading the ball and getting it and used it well too. Manteit too covers the ground well, uses the ball nicely and is smart. he also has the body to stand up to pressure. When he stands next to Matty Goodyear it's like man to boy. He has a well developed upper body and looks like he is ready to go.
I think Michael will play senior footy in 2015.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:01 pm
Post subject: Re: 2015 Annual BTP - Rating the playing ListReply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
Born to Pie wrote:

Not so sure BTP. Manteit has been a standout for me over the preseason.
From day one he made us take notice with his determination in the time trial. From memory he finished 3rd and ahead of Varcoe. I thought this may have been a case of the new kid wanting to impress and going all out, but it wasn't. Michael followed up in every session.

What have I learned about him? Well he has fantastic endurance already which leads me to think he could play midfield. He is fast, is a penetrating kick and works really hard. Then there is that quality that can't be taught; the ability to read the play and get to where the ball is.

That we picked him up at No.8 in the Rookie Draft was surprising; I remember Hine saying they were delighted and surprised he was still there as many good judges thought he'd go in the top 3.

From early on in training drills he reminded me of that other Rookie, Tom Langdon. I remember watching Langdon on a blisteringly hot Family Day in 2014. He just kept reading the ball and getting it and used it well too. Manteit too covers the ground well, uses the ball nicely and is smart. he also has the body to stand up to pressure. When he stands next to Matty Goodyear it's like man to boy. He has a well developed upper body and looks like he is ready to go.
I think Michael will play senior footy in 2015.

I trust your judgement NA, but given your glowing assessment of the kid, it's surprising he wasn't selected for one of the NAB practice games.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 pm

the nab cup obviously allows for the use of rookies but i don't see the point in playing him if we are going to elevate other rookies ahead of him. and, it seems he is playing a position for which we have a plethora of options.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

Great read ta, thanks for making the effort.
Just adds to the build up.
I always sigh with relief when the seasons about to start!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for your support. Sorry I don't have access to that document.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: