Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New metadata laws

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Passed the Senate yesterday. Welcome to Australia, surveillance state.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/26/new-data-world-order-government-can-read-every-australian-like-an-open-book

Quote:
The story of your life in metadata is an open book. It paints a picture of where you went, who you spoke with, how long you were there for. What were you doing talking on the phone to the sexually transmitted infections clinic? What were you doing on the street corner where the man was murdered last night?

Privacy, at its most basic level, is about the right of citizens to be let alone by their governments. At the heart of what is happening right now in Australia is a debate around this very idea. And as the federal government succeeded in passing its data retention laws on Thursday, it is an idea that is being challenged more than it ever has before.

The issue of how the data will be stored remains live. The telecommunications providers will be subject to a motley patchwork of federal privacy law. Some of the enforcement agencies that will inevitably access the data have already proven themselves remarkably inept at handling such things.

The federal police accidentally leaked information about their own interception capabilities by failing to redact – ironically – forms used to access metadata. The immigration department (which has sought to be included for access in its new incarnation as the Australian Border Force) was responsible for the largest government data breach in Australian history when it published the names of almost 10,000 people in detention on its website.

And the costs remain a mystery. We do not know what the government will contribute, or how much it will end up costing consumers.

In the end, the bill passed with the support of Labor. This scheme will happen, and your personal data will be stored.

Once it really gets under way, the question for all Australians is whether they are happy with being an open book.

So this how it feels to live in a Communist Country?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:47 am

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/court-ruling-on-whether-australian-isps-must-hand-over-customer-data-over-movie-downloads/story-fnjwneld-1227294106822
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:52 am

Nah, no communist country has ever had this sort of capacity to spy on its own citizens before.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 am

I won't lie, if I had the power to reach into the internet and find out what people are saying about me, Id use it too. No man alive would refuse it. So expecting the sociopathic (mates with) you lot keep electing into parliament to just leave it alone and not go there - well, that's a bit optimistic. Consider yourselves lucky that they aren't killing dissidents yet.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:00 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
Nah, no communist country has ever had this sort of capacity to spy on its own citizens before.

but Pirates are most Dangerous/Worse then ISISShocked

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:25 am

Dave consider the cost of making a movie. Consider the cost if the movie flops. Check out how many movies a year go straight to video, or even late night tv. Yes, some go on to make ridiculous amounts. Still, why should you get that brand new product free of charge? You can wait and eventually you'll get it free. Go to the pics on cheap arse Tuesday for what $10? Wait for the new release special, buy on Foxtel for $8. Or wait til it goes down to $9! It's a business. Businesses need to make a profit, or its a waste of time and they won't exist.

And quite frankly, pirating is theft. Simple as that!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:02 pm

^ You've never done it?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm

David wrote:
^ You've never done it?

Yes I have, a couple of movies, and series, but I don't now.

Like anything, when you can get away with it, and it's not hurting anyone, but I fully understand them clamping down on it, and yeah, my take is I got a couple of free movies, and series (not many, too much hassle, and if I'm going to watch something, I want quality did) but now it's not worth the risk.

Like continually parking in a spot with no ticket and then whinging, be happy with what you got.

Bigger things in life to stress over. Next.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Where did you hear that? size matters.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
I won't lie, if I had the power to reach into the internet and find out what people are saying about me, Id use it too. No man alive would refuse it. So expecting the sociopathic (mates with) you lot keep electing into parliament to just leave it alone and not go there - well, that's a bit optimistic. Consider yourselves lucky that they aren't killing dissidents yet.

Really? I don't care. Shocked Confused

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

HAL wrote:
Where did you hear that? size matters.

Shocked you are so right!!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 pm

think positive wrote:
Dave consider the cost of making a movie. Consider the cost if the movie flops. Check out how many movies a year go straight to video, or even late night tv. Yes, some go on to make ridiculous amounts. Still, why should you get that brand new product free of charge? You can wait and eventually you'll get it free. Go to the pics on cheap arse Tuesday for what $10? Wait for the new release special, buy on Foxtel for $8. Or wait til it goes down to $9! It's a business. Businesses need to make a profit, or its a waste of time and they won't exist.

And quite frankly, pirating is theft. Simple as that!

But Suing People for ten of thousands of Dollars for Downloading 1 Movie is way over the Top

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:07 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
^ You've never done it?

Like anything, when you can get away with it, and it's not hurting anyone, but I fully understand them clamping down on it, and yeah, my take is I got a couple of free movies, and series (not many, too much hassle, and if I'm going to watch something, I want quality did) but now it's not worth the risk.

Like continually parking in a spot with no ticket and then whinging, be happy with what you got.

What would you do if the producer of one of those films one day finds out that you did and decides to make an example of you by taking you to court over it?

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 pm

I usually download movies or TV shows I haven't been able to find to buy, or aren't cheap to buy. Half of what I have downloaded I have since bought on DVD and deleted. I have also downloaded recent releases in the past and if they've been good I've bought them on DVD.

I am happy to pay for things at a reasonable price, at the moment a lot of things are out of my price range so I will try and find them cheaper if that fails I will download. I am all for paid downloads at a reasonable price, perhaps that will help both parties I am not sure.

My last three downloads were AHS Freak Show, Chips The War Dog (only on VHS not DVD), GodZilla Returns (I've not seen this on DVD that wasn't a bootlegged version.)

American Horror Story isn't available to buy just yet, I've got it on pre-order.

I don't think suing is going to help stop people though, but I am not sure much is going to help stop people pirating they've had fines and shit for years for copying movies and people still do it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
^ You've never done it?

What would you do if the producer of one of those films one day finds out that you did and decides to make an example of you by taking you to court over it?

Cry for a start! And dob someone in who does it more! Offer a bigger fish! Hey, it works in the movies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: