Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New metadata laws

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 pm
Post subject: Re: New metadata lawsReply with quote

Culprit wrote:
Now we all know we have a PM who is a complete Fwit. His latest gaffe "I was never worried about metadata protections when I was a journalist'. Amazingly Mobile phones and the Internet was in it's infancy when he was a Journo. Embarassed

Bwahaha - his idiocy knows no bounds. (With the bit about him having been a "journo" the bonus extra laugh for insiders!).

You just shake your head. Having this utter moron as PM is the equivalent of recruiting a socially-inept, remote mission church volunteer with the sole resume highlight of having coordinated Sunday luncheons for 12 people to lead a giant multinational company.

The size of the farce so great I don't think people can actually face it because it makes a laughing stock of our very lives. We talk of terrorism being nihilistic, but having a flaky, near-on schizotypal moon unit in the highest leadership position in the country is astonishingly nihilistic. The Glibs crap on and on about respect for national symbols, formal institutions, and what have you, and then they put forward a creepy Brothers Grimm character to lead a country. A country! Not a university club or a church group, a bleeding 1.5T economy of 23M people! What irresponsible, negligent frauds they are.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ It's one of the few articles I've read that doesn't bag Labor, and it also points out the extent of surveillance predating these laws and the concessions that have been gained over the past few weeks (meaning that, as bad as these new laws are, they're not necessarily going to usher in an Orwellian dystopia).

Sorry, did you want an article that portrays the government in a positive light? I thought we were dealing with non-fiction. Razz

The article is obviously biased. I'm looking for one that just explains exactly what will be captured without layering paid political announcements over the top, for either side.

Considering the places you read, if that's one of the few you could find that didn't bag labor, what does that tell you anyway?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 am

If you can find me one article from the mainstream media supporting Labor's stance on this, I'll be surprised. To Abbott's dwindling band of cheerleaders, they are and always will be the devil incarnate; to nearly everybody else, they are gutless cowards. The Saturday Paper article takes a rare middle-ground stance. Did you read the whole thing? I seem to recall it having some decent information about Australia's current metadata practices. As much as I support the Greens' stance on this, I think they sometimes neglect to give us the full context.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:44 pm

You're getting smarter there David. The Greens are just like everyone else in that they'll pitch the part of the story that suits them.

From my understanding, and i'll admit i haven't been following this closely, pretty much everything is already kept by the various providers and already available to Police on request, all this legislation does is formalise the requirement to keep it and the time frame.

Your ISP already has a log of every URL you visit on your computer, your Phone provider knows who you called and who called you, at what time, from where and for how long, who you texted etc etc.

Apparently the legislation has passed the lower house, I'll try to find and review it when my head is working better. This week has been insane.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
You're getting smarter there David. The Greens are just like everyone else in that they'll pitch the part of the story that suits them.

From my understanding, and i'll admit i haven't been following this closely, pretty much everything is already kept by the various providers and already available to Police on request, all this legislation does is formalise the requirement to keep it and the time frame.

Your ISP already has a log of every URL you visit on your computer, your Phone provider knows who you called and who called you, at what time, from where and for how long, who you texted etc etc.

Apparently the legislation has passed the lower house, I'll try to find and review it when my head is working better. This week has been insane.

Was on news today and they had Bloody Turnball walking around like his Shit does not stink. You know he has taken Bribes.

I think the Reason has Changed why they can get your Info. Probably don’t need a Warrant anymore.

Sites be Blocked tomorrow then?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/new-legislation-to-be-put-forward-to-block-torrenting-websites-but-will-it-work/story-fnjwneld-1227269448954

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:40 pm

http://pirateparty.org.au/2015/03/18/government-declares-war-on-the-internet-we-must-fight-back/comment-page-1/#comment-72699
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Apparently MPs were only given 30 minutes to read the bill before it was debated. Bandt and Wilkie couldn't even find any reference to metadata being deleted after the two-year period. A black day for the country.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:24 am

^Indeed. And most them wouldn't know the capability of current big data technologies from Adam. It's yet another case of incompetent people taking the word of people being paid by special interests.

This whole area of security is a giant black box. How is that black box protected from mal-access? How is that data protected from monetary incentive? You can't run systems a fraction of that size without access holes all over them.

Also, if the members of the Five-Eyed Monster are in each other's pockets, which they are, doesn't that mean they'll be forced to follow US dictates of the sort which see businesses shut down and people carried off without the right to even publicise what is being done to them?

The Snowden case is the tip of the iceberg. The corporate espionage alone will be phenomenal, with the Unaccountable Five-eyed Octopus trading favours on the basis of whoever needs a boost in the polls. Only a naive idiot would think that completely driven narcissists, with their grandiose life work and ambitions on the line, won't concoct justifications for pulling the levers.

This is not about conspiracy theory. It's extremely basic human psychology. If a person has power, then that person has a very strong ego, which is understandable and in fact necessary. If a person has great power, then that person is very likely under conditions of competition to also have strong narcissistic qualities by definition. Once that person has built his or her ego value around that power, unless there is a transparency and social constraints the chance of that person failing the ethical test is huge. This is how it works; we're a flawed species, especially once the psychiatric stakes are ratcheted up.

In other words, without a clear explanation of the checks and balances this approach will have, it is grossly unethical to rubber stamp it, especially when those doing the rubber stamping only understand infotech as a bunch* of cliched interfaces.

People are disinterested because in the simplest terms it only affects dissidents, and authoritarians conservatives want them hung and quartered anyhow. But, in fact, it goes to the heart of major decisions, from war and defence to elections, fair trade and market functionality--things which can easily reduce our quality of life in a jiffy.

*Americanism used strategically here to arouse Tannin's interest in the topic Wink

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:22 am

David wrote:
Apparently MPs were only given 30 minutes to read the bill before it was debated. Bandt and Wilkie couldn't even find any reference to metadata being deleted after the two-year period. A black day for the country.

Yep - Shows that the Guys in Parliament have no idea what they are passing as law.

They have no Respect for the Australian People

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:22 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
David wrote:

Yep - Shows that the Guys in Parliament have no idea what they are passing as law.

They have no Respect for the Australian People

This is what the house of reps passed.

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r5375_third-reps/toc_pdf/14242b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf

Section 187AA describes the data that is to be retained, nothing that looks controversial to me.

No journo is going to support this because they see the potential impact on them, without recognising that this data is already being kept and is currently accessible with less restraint than the legislation provides for.

That would be why Labor, after forcing a few small modifications, agreed to support it.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Every time I read or hear about 'the fight against terrorism' I'm reminded of the prohibition period in America and the Nazi campaign against the underground.

Both unmitigated failures because if you take away too much of peoples freedoms and expect them to sit still for it you are a bigger idiot than Canute.

People forget or are ignorant that the internet was originally partly a workaround for scientists on either side of the then 'Iron curtain', and itself an expression of independence from government meddling lol.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Home-grown terror does exist (so it's not made up) and there are radical people within Australian communities who sympathise with Sunni jihadist groups like ISIS but most of those people either travel to Syria and Iraq and fight with these groups or they just simply hold these views without going around killing people.

Yes ISIS has encouraged lone-wolf attacks through their constant propaganda but this won't stop it. We have sufficient intelligence as it is in my opinion and this won't enhance it rather it will be detrimental to civil liberties in Australia.

The government has exploited an issue overseas and that primarily has nothing to do with Australia directly as a way to enhance 'national security'.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Jezza wrote:
Home-grown terror does exist (so it's not made up) and there are radical people within Australian communities who sympathise with Sunni jihadist groups like ISIS but most of those people either travel to Syria and Iraq and fight with these groups or they just simply hold these views without going around killing people.

Yes ISIS has encouraged lone-wolf attacks through their constant propaganda but this won't stop it. We have sufficient intelligence as it is in my opinion and this won't enhance it rather it will be detrimental to civil liberties in Australia.

The government has exploited an issue overseas and that primarily has nothing to do with Australia directly as a way to enhance 'national security'.

True but they are also taking advantage on it. Using it more then just for “National Security”.

So they can Spy on anyone they want and for no reason for it

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Well there's a reason why I have 'national security' in quotation makes Dave.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:30 am

Passed the Senate yesterday. Welcome to Australia, surveillance state.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/26/new-data-world-order-government-can-read-every-australian-like-an-open-book

Quote:
The story of your life in metadata is an open book. It paints a picture of where you went, who you spoke with, how long you were there for. What were you doing talking on the phone to the sexually transmitted infections clinic? What were you doing on the street corner where the man was murdered last night?

Privacy, at its most basic level, is about the right of citizens to be let alone by their governments. At the heart of what is happening right now in Australia is a debate around this very idea. And as the federal government succeeded in passing its data retention laws on Thursday, it is an idea that is being challenged more than it ever has before.

The issue of how the data will be stored remains live. The telecommunications providers will be subject to a motley patchwork of federal privacy law. Some of the enforcement agencies that will inevitably access the data have already proven themselves remarkably inept at handling such things.

The federal police accidentally leaked information about their own interception capabilities by failing to redact – ironically – forms used to access metadata. The immigration department (which has sought to be included for access in its new incarnation as the Australian Border Force) was responsible for the largest government data breach in Australian history when it published the names of almost 10,000 people in detention on its website.

And the costs remain a mystery. We do not know what the government will contribute, or how much it will end up costing consumers.

In the end, the bill passed with the support of Labor. This scheme will happen, and your personal data will be stored.

Once it really gets under way, the question for all Australians is whether they are happy with being an open book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: