Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sheffield Shield final - Victoria v. WA in Hobart.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Any overs WA bats on will be in Victoria's favour.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:20 pm

So, WA batted on for a further 6 overs this morning and declared at 2/293 (Harris making a fine 158 not out from 153 balls), setting the Vics the task of making 334 to win, or batting out about 90 overs to draw. Either will win the Vics the Shield. They are presently 1/54 from 29 overs, obviously batting for the draw. Rogers was out for 17. Quiney is 35 and Stoinis is 1.

Unless wickets start to tumble, this will be like watching paint dry. As a Victorian, I will be hoping for a very tedious afternoon's cricket.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Vics now 2/79, after 42.4 overs. Stoinis out for 8 from 41 balls. Quiney is 48 and D Hussey is 3. A minimum of 47.2 overs remain to be bowled.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm

The Vics are 3/108 at tea (Quniey gone for 53; Hussey and Handscomb now at the crease). The equation is simple: don't lose more than 6 wickets in the remaining 30 or so overs and the boys can bring the Shield back to Victoria.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Vics now 4/147 after 87 overs. Minimum 8.3 overs to go.

Wade is 7 off 73 deliveries; David Hussey is 33 off 149.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Vics 4/158 after 95 exciting overs. Wade now 9 off 99 balls.

Remind me, was it Mudassar Nazar who thrilled us with the slowest century of all time in a Test in Australia back in the late 70s?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 pm

And there it is. The Vics have drawn and thereby won the 2014/2015 Sheffield Shield. Congratulations to them - and may they never be forced to watch a replay of the whole of their second innings!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Why not ?? It was a Sheffield Shield winning effort. Smile

Thanks Pies4. I just got back from Cairns and went straight to Nick's Sports Bar.

Congrats to Greg Shipperd, Matt Wade and the rest of the Bushrangers.

As I mentioned earlier, APPALLING coverage of this match in the media. Sad

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Oh, another point: Marcus Harris for player of the final when Fawad Ahmed returned the best bowling figures ever, in a Shield final ?!?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Remind me, was it Mudassar Nazar who thrilled us with the slowest century of all time in a Test in Australia back in the late 70s?

And a Vic player made a century for Australia in a day and never hit a boundary. Can't think of his name at the moment.

Anyway thems the rules and WA should have declared late last night in the hope of snaring a wicket. Well done the Vics.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:30 am

Donny wrote:
Oh, another point: Marcus Harris for player of the final when Fawad Ahmed returned the best bowling figures ever, in a Shield final ?!?

That's ridiculous. Ahmed singlehandedly dragged the Vics into that game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:10 am

ronrat wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

And a Vic player made a century for Australia in a day and never hit a boundary. Can't think of his name at the moment.

Anyway thems the rules and WA should have declared late last night in the hope of snaring a wicket. Well done the Vics.

Paul Hibbert made exactly 100 without a four for Victoria against India at Melbourne in 1977-78. I know he wasn't playing for Australia but is that the innings you had in mind? My researches suggest that no-one has ever made a test 100 without a boundary (I think the highest Test score with no boundaries was probably Eric Rowan, batting for SA against England in about 1939).
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:16 am

Yes Hibbert was the sloth. Thanks for that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:28 am

^^^ I think it was probably a measure of his determination. He saw a chance to play Test cricket for Australia and took it. Unfortunately, he only got the one game (13 and 2 in the 'Gabba test on a greentop wicket).

"Dasher" Hibbert was one of those fine household names of Sheffield Shield cricket, in a time when Shield games would often be the main focus of the sports section of the major newspapers. Along with Julian Wiener, he was a fixture as Victoria's opening batsmen (and, IIRC, sometime number 3) for over a decade. I used to watch Victoria a lot back in those days and, although he was generally a slowish batsman, he was the steady player who made a lot of others' stroke-play possible. The Vics won back to back Shields in 78/79 and 79/80 with a line up that regularly featured, among others, Hibbert, Wiener, Yallop, Whatmore, Moss, Taylor, Robinson, Laughlin, Graf, Callen and Hurst. Great names from a great sporting era.

I loved watching those teams play, back in the days when I wasn't almost the only person watching in the stadium, - the Vics were my passion when Collingwood wasn't playing - and I was very sorry to read of Paul's passing in late 2008.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Shaun Graf played for Caulfield 4ths a few years ago as a fill in player and took a heap of wickets and top scored. He still is involved.

Yallop ran the indoor cricket centre at Albert Park years ago when Defence had a lunchtime comp. I was umpiring. Bloke had his bat on the line and the bowler mankaded him. I gave him out. The batsman abused me and used some very nasty words. I simply told him he was out and get on with it. . He insisted he was on the line. I said "On the line is out" "No it isn't you effing idiot". At this stage Yallop walked over and told the bloke he would be ejected from the centre for bad language and poor spotsmanship. Kids are waiting to play and can hear all this. Yallop then came up with "anyway I was watching. On the line is out, always has been" Then this pearler "Who the eff put someone in charge of a cricket centre who has never played the game and doesn't know the rules'. Player ejected to laughter from everyone including his own teammates. The bowler was in stitches. "Captaining his country generally qualifies as some one who has played the game you clown".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: