Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. NAB Challenge - Blues down Pies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Mr. Burns wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Be a cold day in hell when I worry about a bloody Nab cup bullshit loss.

GEZZ IF NO CARES THAT WE LOST TO OUR ARCH RIVALS Crying or Very sad

I didn't know 4 points were on offer. It's a friggin practice game DTM. And we played like it was a practice game. Rolling Eyes

I get it the the Club took it as they did not give a Shit about it.

But this is the Team we should always try and beat

Why?
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Just back from Bendigo.

Went to the game but didn't see as much of it as I wanted to due to the big turnout and limited vantage points at the ground.

Can't add much detail to the observations of others.

The main take out for me was that when the Blues went forward they did it with great speed and accurate kicking and marking which the Pies has no answer to.

When the Pies went forward it was always a hard, slow slug up the ground that gave the opposition plenty of time to man up on our forwards. Cloke was just another man in the pack in the contested marks (I remember him snatching them in the pack a few years ago).

Blair, Gault and Sinclair stood out for me. And Langdon - he reads the game so well.

This game was winnable for the Pies right to the end, but a few poor decisions and poor kicking sealed a win for the Blues.

After the Hawthorn match Buckley was saying he's still unable to settle on our best line-up of players - there being too many promising players in the mix.
After Sunday's game he's going to have an easier job sifting the wheat from the chaff.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 pm

I don't get all the pessimism.

Yes we played like crap. Yes we didn't have a player in the top half dozen on the ground. Yes we got beaten (even then only just).

But if you reckon that was a all out effort we (or Carlton) put in you're kidding yourself. Ask yourself how much gut busting running did you see? How much close checking did you see? How many tactical changes did you see? How much pressure on the ball carrier did you see? How many crunching tackles did you see? How much forward pressure was there?

The answer to all of the above is bugger all.

It was little more intensive than an intraclub match with the goal being getting game time and run in the legs and a little touch with the ball with an emphasis on not getting hurt. By and large this was achieved but of course there were incidental knocks due to it still being a contact sport but they were absolutely miniscule compared to an average h/a game.

Pendles gathered 17 possessions in almost a full match of football. Normally he'd get that in about a quarter and a half. Swanny didn't do much either but he didn't want to. He had a run, had a couple of kicks and his body pulled up well. Great. A few of the young blokes haven't kicked the door in as regards to picking themselves for round one but we are still 3 weeks away from round 1 and the club knows what is expected of them better than we do and will make the selections accordingly.

Getting down about yesterday is about as sensible as booking September holidays because we rolled Hawthorn reserves a fortnight back. The games are meaningless, even more so now there is no silverware and prize money on offer and are but a mere aperitif for us fans before we can sink our teeth into the real stuff and should be seen as such.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Flashman wrote:

flashman pls. you have been around long enough to know better.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Mr. Burns wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Be a cold day in hell when I worry about a bloody Nab cup bullshit loss.

GEZZ IF NO CARES THAT WE LOST TO OUR ARCH RIVALS Crying or Very sad

I didn't know 4 points were on offer. It's a friggin practice game DTM. And we played like it was a practice game. Rolling Eyes

I get it the the Club took it as they did not give a Shit about it.

But this is the Team we should always try and beat

Why?

Scum is the only Team we should always try and Beat

So you said Dave but why?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:48 pm

John Wren wrote:
Flashman wrote:

flashman pls. you have been around long enough to know better.

yep, some around here don't handle defeats well at all, lose a bloody practice match and out comes the gloom. Confused Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Flogging Hawthorn was great, especially with the performances from new guys like DeGoey, Crisp, Paddy, etc. But of course when we lose it's "Only a NAB game", which is true, but geez I wish we hadn't lost in that particular manner... 1 goal 8 in the second half is just way too f***ing familiar!!! If that crap continues it'll be a long way back. Why bother playing FOOTball if you can't kick the bloody thing!!!!????
I liked it better when there was something to play for, otherwise its just the same old "pre-season practice matches" we used to have back in the olden days!

And while it certainly doesn't mean much to the clubs, it has to mean a fair bit to fringe players trying to bust into the best 22. They really need to get not only the coaching staff, but also the fans on-side. The less impressive games from DeGoey and Paddy really disappointed me, successive great games would've seen the pair really looking set for a Rd.1 start (it might still happen, but they need to get another shot against Footscray).
I think Crispy and Levi have done wonderfully, and Gault could be a chance. If any or all of these 3 are rested against the mutts it might be a sign they’ve done enough.
I Really don't understand why White and Elliot didn't play. I loved the way big Jess went at it against the Hawks, It looked like his last few for Sydney. I'd also like to get a look at the rest of the draft picks, especially Michael Manteit, I have a good feeling about him, and Brendan Abbot could be a big, Cloke/Franklin, type forward one day, but I guess they're keeping him up the sleeve!

Piesnchess wrote:

We await the first sack Bucks comment !

Well, it won't come from me in case you wondered. The season's on and I will be 100% behind the people we have in place.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:32 pm

35forever wrote:
Flogging Hawthorn was great, especially with the performances from new guys like DeGoey, Crisp, Paddy, etc. But of course when we lose it's "Only a NAB game", which is true, but geez I wish we hadn't lost in that particular manner... 1 goal 8 in the second half is just way too f***ing familiar!!! If that crap continues it'll be a long way back. Why bother playing FOOTball if you can't kick the bloody thing!!!!????
I liked it better when there was something to play for, otherwise its just the same old "pre-season practice matches" we used to have back in the olden days!

And while it certainly doesn't mean much to the clubs, it has to mean a fair bit to fringe players trying to bust into the best 22. They really need to get not only the coaching staff, but also the fans on-side. The less impressive games from DeGoey and Paddy really disappointed me, successive great games would've seen the pair really looking set for a Rd.1 start (it might still happen, but they need to get another shot against Footscray).
I think Crispy and Levi have done wonderfully, and Gault could be a chance. If any or all of these 3 are rested against the mutts it might be a sign they’ve done enough.
I Really don't understand why White and Elliot didn't play. I loved the way big Jess went at it against the Hawks, It looked like his last few for Sydney. I'd also like to get a look at the rest of the draft picks, especially Michael Manteit, I have a good feeling about him, and Brendan Abbot could be a big, Cloke/Franklin, type forward one day, but I guess they're keeping him up the sleeve!

Piesnchess wrote:

Well, it won't come from me in case you wondered. The season's on and I will be 100% behind the people we have in place.

De Goey had a Quieter Game but he still had some Good Moments.

Loved the Kick on the Wing when he Hit(?) in Stride that lad to a Blair Goal running into a Open Goal

Flashman 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 pm

De Goey has been really good for a babe. Looks assured (dropped chest mark aside), solid and skilful.

But he's not quite ready for round 1 imo and it wouldn't hurt to have him cut his teeth in the twos for the first half of the season. Let him learn to find a bit more of the ball and to test his mettle against hardened bodies. It wont hurt and will hold him in good stead for the back end of the season or even from next year on. There's no rush.

Gault has really come along from last season though. I didn't really rate him even on last years form but he's been a really pleasant surprise. He's always had the athleticism and size but his football smarts, positioning and skill looks to be coming together and on exposed form he's a very good chance to get a game.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:15 pm

plenty to think about for the selectors heading in to round 1 after that tune up
as others have pointed out entries into the forward 50 were the biggest (ongoing) concern
Paddy K doesn't seem to have it at this stage at least.
Gault shows promise.
They need Reid to come into the forward line I think.
Browny looked good again down back so they can build the backline around him.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
My summary from the game thread:

Review and thoughts:

No major injuries - tick.

Blair - solid and still best 22. Needs to average 1.5+ goals a game in addition to his tackles and 1%ers.
barely best 22 - makes horrible errors for someone with his seniority and experience - needs to play the poppy role - get the hell out of the way and do your small forward role only.

Broomhead - quiet today in limited game time. Loved what I saw in 2014, but hasn't cemented a spot yet for mine so probably starts in 2s.
agreed - i had super hopes and still do but has ben very disappointing and looks to have not gained any size - class act but come on

Brown - solid workout. Lock for best 22.
was sensational - gave Henderson a bath, dominant display

Cloke - not great, but poor delivery. His best play today was crumbing to Gault and kicking that goal. Need him up the ground more for mine.
Agreed - looked ok and got better as the game went on - was overpowering Jameison by the end

Cox - showed enough to justify rookie position. Let's see what he does in reserves this year.
was super impressive - didn't get a lot of it but really hunted it - barely lost a hit out and most were to some advantage - looked completely exhausted at the end Smile very very encouraging

Crisp - liked his game, but need to see him being more dangerous in the forward half. Pushing for 22 I think.
started where he left off but drifted out of the game - seemed to lose confidence after some ordinary disposals

de Goey - good first half then drifted out a bit. Pushing for 22, but likely sub candidate.
i was disappointed with his overall performance but still oozes class - too hard to leave out of the 22 - he will always bob up - too bloody good and smart

Dwyer - loved his precision delivery in 2014. Depth in 2015 for mine.
disappointing - couldn't get dangerous and looked a little light - seemed to run with juddy for a while but was not strong enough. another light outside player Sad

Fasolo - Lock best 22 and our fortunes may be heavily linked to how he goes. Absolute key IMO. Needs 2 goals a game.
probably our best with Browny - super encouraging - top consistent effort and always dangerous.

Gault - close to BOG. May be hard not to have in the 22 based on his games so far.
was good - not convinced he is near the 22 - would want to see him on a quality defender

Goldsack - solid and certain starter for mine up forward with flexibility to go back (swap with Reid).
was ok only - looks bigger which is a good sign - big heart but will never be a good kick Sad

Greenwood - tough nut. love what he does.
barely noticed him but was our leading possession winner yeah?
not sure if thats a good or bad sign - accumulator - could be important - want to see him take on someone head to head and play a role

Grundy - late tweet suggested injury wasn't bad. Behind a fully fit Witts as first ruck for mine.
off to a bad start when warnock owned him - but was smart enough and was our best player during our best 15 minutes - seems to have matured - i liked it

Karnezis - hot (last game) and cold (this game). lacks consistency to be best 22. depth.
was deplorable - can't have this inconsistency in our 22 - very disappointing

Kennedy - flashes today, but needs consistency.
got a bad knock again - looks ready to tear it apart - forgive and persist for mine

Langdon - solid again. best 22.
made a few errors but is a better player in 2015 - looks assured and a class act

Oxley - liked his game. was highly rated before his injury last year. may be a surprise breakout player this year.
Agreed

Pendles - just a walk in the park to prepare.
Agreed

Ramsey - didn't mind his game at all. Behind a few others though.
Got better as the game went on but was beneath ordinary early - was impressive by the end

Sinclair - liked his game. Think he will improve as confidence grows. Has speed for transition game.
looks bigger and fitter and harder - best game i have seen him play - but want to see it for 4 quarters before i can feel the love

Swan - same as Pendles.
Agreed

Thomas - same as Kennedy. needs to produce more. Beams rated Thomas as better than him as a junior.
Didn't like his game at all and i think he has lost me - error prone when its hard

Toovey - solid.
terrible start when pace was on

Varcoe - limited game time, but whenever I see him I see soft efforts. Hasn't earnt a spot yet for mine.
he has for mine - looks an ideal fit for high HFF

Williams - not his best game, but I have high hopes.
Back to back terrible - i was a huge fan - WTF?
Hopefully he is under instructions to not look like he gives a *** and just get through the games?

The first 20 minutes was as bad as i have ever seen a Collingwood side.
We were embarrassing all over the ground. Only Brown was accountable.
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:41 pm

35forever wrote:

Piesnchess wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Research? Know your Pies players??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: