Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jake Williams joins VFL Academy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:15 pm
Post subject: Jake Williams joins VFL AcademyReply with quote

Congratulations, Jake! Very Happy

Quote:
As Collingwood’s VFL side prepares for a trip down the highway to kick off its 2015 campaign, one member of the team has been rewarded with a spot alongside some of the VFL’s most promising youngsters.

Young midfielder Jake Williams has been rewarded with a place in the 29-man VFL Academy squad for season 2015.

The accolade rewards Williams for a consistent debut season in the Black and White, and serves as a timely motivator ahead of the sides opening practice match against Geelong on Saturday.

Collingwood’s VFL General Manager Luke Gatti stressed the value of the league’s Academy and its potential impact on Williams’ development.

“The VFL Academy has been evolving for the last couple years,” Gatti told collingwoodfc.com.au.

“It’s looking to provide a program to players that complement what’s already being undertaken by VFL clubs in terms of player development.”

The lasting memory of Williams’ 2014 season for most is his spectacular mark against Bendigo in the final game of the home and away season.

VIDEO: Williams' Mark of the Year.

While the brilliant leap was highlighted by many as the mark of the VFL season, the Collingwood camp would be much more encouraged by Williams’ remarkable consistency in his debut year.

After crossing from De La Salle in the VAFA, the 21-year-old played 17 games, averaging 14 disposals a game and ranking fourth at the club for inside 50 entries.

After beginning the season as the side’s designated ‘23rd man’, Williams quickly found time in the midfield and on the wing and established himself with his strong run and carry.

While he no doubt exceeded expectations, VFL coach Dale Tapping predicted at the beginning of the year that the rookie would impress, telling collingwoodfc.com.au that Williams “is extremely fit, a really good user of the ball (and) makes really good decisions with the ball.”

Fast-forward one year and the sky is the limit for the young wingman.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-03-13/youngster-rewarded-by-vfl-academy

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good On Jake

Sounds like IF he has another good year he might be a Rookie Draft Chance

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was in the squad in 2014 as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: