Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Practice Match #1 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Kardinia Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thoughts:

Freeman started slowly but had a really good 2nd Half. Plenty of Clearnces and used the Ball Well

Witts really stubbled looked out of shape and looked lost and behind the play

Reid played FB and Did the Kickins. Had a nice solid game down back for coming back from Injury

Maynard was good. Showed his Courage taking some Intercept Marks and used the Ball well. Though fumbled a Few Balls below his Knees. Does not take a Sideways step

Goodyear can sure find the Ball but Use by Feet still needs improvement. Just Rushes his Kicks but Good Size

Abbott had a good game. Will run thru anyone. Looks like a Old Time Footballer as he does not look like an Athlete

Mantiet tried hard but did not get in the Action Bit

Close(From IT Department) looked the Goods as our FF

Monkey JR kicked a Few Goals and had some good moments

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:14 pm

My player reviews...

15. Jarrod Witts
Tried really hard all day. Rucked the bulk of the game with very little assistance. Geenhough offered the occasional chop-out but in the last we were even forced to use Gleeson at some centre bounces. Competed very well against the veteran in Hamish McIntosh and gave the mids some good service. Clunked a couple of pack marks deep forward, but also dropped some sitters. Had one truly facepalm moment when he smashed a pack to clunk a mark 20 out in front, but sprayed the shot. Was also one of the offenders in turning the ball over, but he wasn't alone. On balance, in our best 3 for the day. Plays NAB 3, I suspect.

20. Ben Reid
The one we all wanted to see. Was okay. This game was solely a miles-pumping exercise for him, so should be judged accordingly. Nevertheless, he did take a couple of solid defensive marks, executed some spoils and moved pretty well around the ground. Took turns on all of Walker, Robinson, McIntosh when he rested forward and Read. Was put on ice about halfway through the last. For the life of me, I didn't see him in the 2nd quarter, but JW assures us he played 3 1/2 quarters, so maybe I require a trip to the optometrist's... Confused

21. Nathan Freeman
Head and shoulders our best for the day. Was in everything: under the packs, on the outside, mopping up in defence, pushing forward to provide an option. Just a terrific game all round, playing almost a lone hand for much of the day. Probably doesn't come back for NAB 3 given we probably want to finalise our best side for round 1, but he certainly gave the doubters from NAB 1 an answer today.

27. Tony Armstrong
Played on a wing. Certainly tries his hardest but had no real influence over the game as a freewheeler. I suppose you could say he was serviceable. Still, is no threat of breaking into the seniors.

37. Brayden Maynard
He was okay. Played off half back and did a few good things. Copped one going back with the flight at one stage and wore it like a veteran. Tough. I like. Cool Ball use was a little askew though. Look forward to seeing him again, but will it be in the NAB Challenge?

38. Matthew Goodyear
Liked his game. For a slightly built kid, he certainly doesn't have a problem crashing in and putting his head over it. Wears the punishment for his playing style too. Tackles stronger than what looks like being capable of. After Freeman, our best in-and-under player for the day. Field kicking not good though. When in space, put too much air in his kicks, resulting in up-and-unders when a kick put out in front was needed. In our best 3 for the game with Freeman and Witts. Plenty to work with.

39. Michael Manteit
Played a serviceable game as a mopping/rebounding defender. Did the proverbial 'some nice things'. One of our better users of the ball for the day, but that is one of his strengths. Interested to see how he goes in the next match.

41. Brendon Abbott
Wasn't all that impressed, to be honest. Was blowing up after single efforts, but we know his story this pre-season, about the ankle injury, so he can be excused there. He certainly doesn't take a backward step when it comes to the contested ball, so that's pleasing.

43. Adam Oxley
Did not play.

From amongst our VFL boys...

- Ash Close played a decent game as a key forward. Clunked a couple and kicked a goal. Have I read right, he's one of our IT guys? I know the injury situation hasn't been great, but... Shocked Wink

- Ben Monkhorst was quite serviceable playing deep forward. Kicked the 2 goals and clunked a couple of marks. Good to see the Monkhorst name back at Collingwood, where it belongs. Part of a long game plot to get the big Monky back to the club...? Wink

- I was impressed with Borthwick's endeavour and ability to find the ball. Didn't trust himself to kick that set-shot goal, given how long he was looking to pass it off for, but he needn't have worried. A decent addition to the VFL list.

- Much like his brother, Jack Blair certainly has a dip. Looked every bit like Jarryd in the #11. Make of that what you will...

- Adrian Indovino was good. Kicked a couple of opportunist goals and displayed some good decision making at times (eg the centring kick to Freeman for Freeza's goal). Could be our Lachie Ferguson replacement at this level.

- And finally, I was happy to see the return of Josh Turner (aka mini-Lingy) from last year's list. Was just okay, but I am pleased to see a VFL favourite of mine going around again.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:54 pm

^^^

Great Report. Agree on Maynard. Ball use was Good but also had a Few Bad Ones.

I thought Ellis and Walin where good

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:22 pm

in recent times ash close has played for morwell. is a tall unit at 199 cms. is getting a chance to get on either the vfl list or dev squad list. is a football analyst not i.t.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Thanks for the report MB.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks MB, DTM & others who contributed. Did Sinclair play?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 am

Thanks for the reports MB, DTM and others here! Thoroughly appreciate it.

Great to hear Freeman do very well according to MB! Smile

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 am

watt price tully wrote:
Thanks MB, DTM & others who contributed. Did Sinclair play?

no. not sure why he would have.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for these reports, excellent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: