Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brown & Frost?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:59 pm
Post subject: Brown & Frost?Reply with quote

So watching the Eagles game now on Fox footy and both missed the second half with injuries ... Not the reason for the thread but do you think the 2 of them who I would assume are our 2 key position backmen, are they good enough and will they lead us to our next flag?

My thoughts not strong or agile enough..
rad 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think Brown and Reid are our 2 key defenders. They have lead us to a flag therefore why change it. I am a strong believer Reid needs to play back, we need a strong defence.

We need a Maxy replacement for mine.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Good thread !
My thoughts are that every team list needs a monster backman to play on a monster forward. Im ok with brown in that role and it also may mean that he doesnt play every week either against teans with the more mobile KPPs.
Im very happy with frosts development. Supposedly put on muscle mass over summer and i thought he held his own in the position in his debut season and only really dropped off when he suffered that knee injury that he played through with. I thought i read that frost was the only player to play every pies game last year and thats a big ask for a KPP debutant.
We would love them to get more of the ball but not many teams have a harry taylor, michael johnson type on their list.
I think the key to their futures, like any key position back man in modern footy, is up field pressure. If the pies mid field apply more pressure than we did last year ( and that wont be hard ) our two key position players are going to be much better off, no matter who they may be.
They arent world beaters but throw in reid, keefe and maybe darcy moore in a year or two and im comfortable with them being part of our climb back up the ladder. ( but thats as far as i will go : )
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Fair enough to ask the question, but key backs isn't where the problem is. We will be fine for key backmen. Frost is AFL standard and still just starting out. Put him down for 200 in black and white. Brown ... well, I'm not the greatest Nathan Brown fan, but FFS he's a premiership full back and, if reasonably injury-free, there is no reason he shouldn't have five years left. Keeffe held us together when every other bugger was injured; he's young yet, still learning, and now in his second year back from an ACL - i.e., can be expected to be much closer to his best form now. And of course there is a fellow named Reid who has won a flag and an All Australian. He can probably play a bit. There are three or four untried kids who might be able to fill a hole if they had to (just as Frost did when he was our only choice). Moore is one, Gault could swap ends at a pinch. Then you have a few good mediums who have been known to play tall when they have to (Tooves and Goldie). Not your first choice-talls those two, but hell, we are talking tenth and eleventh in line, how many key position defenders are you thinking we might injure all at once? And finally we have at leas three young medium defenders who might grow into a role playing as medium-tall types: Oxley, Langdon, and 'Berg.

If we have a problem finding key backs, no-one will notice, 'coz if it ever crops up we will all be talking about the Ebola epidemic which just took out 28 senior players in a week.

If you want to talk about a problem we might have, keep looking in the same direction you are looking and wait 30 minutes - 'cause after quarter time when we swap ends, you'll be looking in exactly the right place.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 am

Frost is our starting FB as far as I'm concerned, but we all know how talented Brown is, but his LTI gave Frost the opportunity and now Brown has to take it back, that's football guys.

I honestly don't see room for both though.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:04 am

Brown is as slow as treacle. But his mind his sharp and he just matches up so well on the gorillas. He plays to his strengths whereas Frost has potential to be that Jason Cloke/Maxy spare man we have used so well. And by spare man I mean the bloke used because Cloke has been double teamed yet again in the other other end.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:37 am

For those with doubts on Brown's ability and speed just revisit the '10 replay GF again. He simply smashed 'the golden boy' - he's not terribly slow otherwise he couldn't have done that but he has had injuries.

As regards the snowman well geeze he has done all that could be asked and more as a first year KPP and will only get better.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:52 am

Everybody goes back to Brown smashing Sookwaldt in '10. Yep, the lad did brilliantly, but the Sook was coming off injury, playing at 60%, and far, far below his best. Brown, to his great credit, figured out a strategy to outfox a significantly faster player and we won a flag, but we shouldn't let that fool us into thinking that Brown beat a champion at the top of his form; he beat a shadow of the champ. Beat him well, yes, but the Sook was playing on three cylinders.

I retain an open mind about Brown. He's quicker than some people say, and he is both smart and experienced. Should he be our starting full back? On balance, I'm thinking yes, but mostly because Frost can play a roving role further up the ground and I'm not sure that Brown can.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 am

Very happy with a combination of Frost, Brown, and Keeffe in the KPD posts. Apparently Reid will also be in that mix. I think we have greater need for him forward but can understand the reasoning of playing him back, at least initially.

As others have indicated, defense isn't our issue. Break even or better in the midfield and we'll show much improved performance across the board.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:10 am

Some good comments, only issue I have is that a lot of the comments talk about the two coupled or complimenting other defenders along side them, I still think one on one for big blokes they don't instill a lot of confidence in getting the job done
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:19 am

Tannin wrote:
Everybody goes back to Brown smashing Sookwaldt in '10. Yep, the lad did brilliantly, but the Sook was coming off injury, playing at 60%, and far, far below his best. Brown, to his great credit, figured out a strategy to outfox a significantly faster player and we won a flag, but we shouldn't let that fool us into thinking that Brown beat a champion at the top of his form; he beat a shadow of the champ. Beat him well, yes, but the Sook was playing on three cylinders.

I retain an open mind about Brown. He's quicker than some people say, and he is both smart and experienced. Should he be our starting full back? On balance, I'm thinking yes, but mostly because Frost can play a roving role further up the ground and I'm not sure that Brown can.

No contest on the sook being below par Tanin, I was just trying to illustrate that although Browny isn't a Ferrari he's certainly no Hyundai lol.

He can get caught out against the more mobile FF's at times but against the gorillas we have no better option so for me he's starting 22 FB with a standing watch helper when playing those quick big FF's.

As for Frost - he is the future of the backline - or at least part of it.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:31 am

droversdog65 wrote:
Tannin wrote:

No contest on the sook being below par Tanin, I was just trying to illustrate that although Browny isn't a Ferrari he's certainly no Hyundai lol.

He can get caught out against the more mobile FF's at times but against the gorillas we have no better option so for me he's starting 22 FB with a standing watch helper when playing those quick big FF's.

As for Frost - he is the future of the backline - or at least part of it.

The records of both Brown and Frost as shut down KPDs is very good. There hasn't been too many KPFs take them apart or kick big bags of goals on them. Keeffe was just finding his feet when he did his ACL. He struggled at times in 2014 (Crows game for example) but should show continued improvement down back (if he plays there). I think that should give us confidence in our KPD stocks.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:41 am

Again no contest jack, we have the bones of a fine backline.

I believe our injury run - particularly players like Swan and Pendles being out for long periods or carrying injuries has portrayed the backline in a poor light.

Without class in the midfield the ball was often sent rocketing straight for our backline and even when we won the centre battle the delivery into the forward line containing only and injury carrying Cloke and really a 3rd forward in White simply wasnt good enough and again it often rocketed out and back to the backline.

Simply put our backline has been under immense pressure these last couple of years and only really started to rupture in the last half of last season.

Consider for a moment the effect of a fit Brown, Reid, Swan, Pendles and Cloke will have on the team balance and skill level and be comforted that in that circumstance our backline won't be under anywhere near the pressure it has been lately.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:01 am

droversdog65 wrote:
Again no contest jack, we have the bones of a fine backline.

I believe our injury run - particularly players like Swan and Pendles being out for long periods or carrying injuries has portrayed the backline in a poor light.

Without class in the midfield the ball was often sent rocketing straight for our backline and even when we won the centre battle the delivery into the forward line containing only and injury carrying Cloke and really a 3rd forward in White simply wasnt good enough and again it often rocketed out and back to the backline.

Simply put our backline has been under immense pressure these last couple of years and only really started to rupture in the last half of last season.

Consider for a moment the effect of a fit Brown, Reid, Swan, Pendles and Cloke will have on the team balance and skill level and be comforted that in that circumstance our backline won't be under anywhere near the pressure it has been lately.

Great call there dog. If we can stay healthy we can only hope that our mids ensure the ball isn't going into the back half anywhere near as frequently as last year. With that pressure released it should make things easier. Having said that we still want the best personnel in the back half.

For mine Frost is the first one you lock in. I don't think he had a bad game last year. Brown, while more experienced and really doesn't do much wrong (nor does he get much of the ball) also not convinced he's a lock in that back half. Given the uncertainty around Reid I would argue Frost at CHB because he is so much more mobile and quicker than Brown. Keep Brown at FB.

Keeffe has been training with the forwards.... doesn't sound like he'll be down back at all. Bucks has already said Reid will play back when he first returns and then we'll see how we're going.

If White, Cloke, Fas, Elliott and Goldy can get the job done forward I don't think we'll have a need for Reid up forward but it's a nice backup plan if things turn to do-do!

Back to the question at hand... let's just hope that, as per Bucks' comments... if a player, regardless of place on the field or standing in the game, is not playing well enough then they will be replaced by another 'soldier'!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:49 am

Brown, Reid, Frost and Langdon are automatic selections in defence imo, with Frost playing the Maxwell type role. The two other small defensive spots will be out of Williams, Toovey, Varcoe, Sinclair and possibly Maynard or Manteit.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: