Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gary Pert discusses expectations 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

roar wrote:
A lot to smile about when reading that list but I certainly didn't smile when I read that they still like the idea of both Sack and Blair in the forward line.

It's an outside looking in assessment which doesn't necessarily reflect the clubs 2015 intentions. I think the Sack will be there abouts most of the year and I think Blairy will struggle to keep a rampaging group of kids at bay as they earn their stripes in the VFL.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:58 am
Post subject: Re: Gary Pert discusses expectations 2015Reply with quote

E wrote:
Stupied wrote:
E wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Here is a link to Gary Pert's interview this afternoon on SEN.
I like his comments on Mason Cox - "We had high expectations, but he's exceeding them."

http://www.sen.com.au/news/gary-pert-on-2015-expectations-carlton-injuries

That is just a puff piece. What exactly has he done to exceed expectations. He hasn't even played a game yet????

a puff piece baby. they all said the same thing about Shae when he arrived too.

Maybe he's picking up the skills required faster than expected? Maybe he's developing his game sense really well? Maybe he's doing those things faster than Shae did when he arrived, who is the only real yardstick they have to measure the progress of an American rookie like Cox?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with all your negativity on the big guy. It's like you're willing him to fail just so you can say 'I told you so'.

Maybe i need to be clearer. Mason Cox might become a wonderful AFL footballer. I would love that more than (or at least as much as) anyone because of my US connection. My main beef is with folks who are suggesting he is ANYWHERE near AFL ready today. Miles and miles of development required becasue he is so far behind even a modestly talented VFL player.

Even worse, some folks were including him on list with DeGOey and Scharenberg and Freeman and Moore and Grundy and Broomhead as guys who could be difference makers ......

It is the absurdity of these things that made me provide the reality check. I apologize if you would like to keep fantasizing about a one in a million chance that he turns into a Pendlebury type superstar. I deal in realistic probablitlity and not tattslotto type fantasy. Please feel free to keep fantasizing. I'll zip it now.

Mason knows he must just keep on improving - because, if he doesn't, there is a serious risk that he will have to go home and face the possibility of being forced to play quarterback for the Jets.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Apparently Eddie has come out today and suggested it's possible for us to win an unlikely flag.

Whilst I don't disagree that anything can happen in AFL and whilst I agree there may be a very remote chance we may win it, I think I prefer Gary's comments.

For me personally, in 2015 I want to see an improvement on last year and I'd like for us to make the eight.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Brenny wrote:

For me personally, in 2015 I want to see an improvement on last year and I'd like for us to make the eight.

For me personally, in 2015 I want to see an improvement on last year and I'd like for us to win the flag. Wink
E 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:38 pm
Post subject: Re: Gary Pert discusses expectations 2015Reply with quote

Stupied wrote:
E wrote:
Stupied wrote:
E wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Here is a link to Gary Pert's interview this afternoon on SEN.
I like his comments on Mason Cox - "We had high expectations, but he's exceeding them."

http://www.sen.com.au/news/gary-pert-on-2015-expectations-carlton-injuries

That is just a puff piece. What exactly has he done to exceed expectations. He hasn't even played a game yet????

a puff piece baby. they all said the same thing about Shae when he arrived too.

Maybe he's picking up the skills required faster than expected? Maybe he's developing his game sense really well? Maybe he's doing those things faster than Shae did when he arrived, who is the only real yardstick they have to measure the progress of an American rookie like Cox?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with all your negativity on the big guy. It's like you're willing him to fail just so you can say 'I told you so'.

Maybe i need to be clearer. Mason Cox might become a wonderful AFL footballer. I would love that more than (or at least as much as) anyone because of my US connection. My main beef is with folks who are suggesting he is ANYWHERE near AFL ready today. Miles and miles of development required becasue he is so far behind even a modestly talented VFL player.

Even worse, some folks were including him on list with DeGOey and Scharenberg and Freeman and Moore and Grundy and Broomhead as guys who could be difference makers ......

It is the absurdity of these things that made me provide the reality check. I apologize if you would like to keep fantasizing about a one in a million chance that he turns into a Pendlebury type superstar. I deal in realistic probablitlity and not tattslotto type fantasy. Please feel free to keep fantasizing. I'll zip it now.

I don't think anyone expects him to be a difference maker, or even get close to playing a senior game this year. It would be nice if he were able to become something special, but I don't think I've given you any reason from my previous post to believe that I'm fantasizing about him becoming a premier player of the competition, so I'm not sure where that swipe came from.

It's just that any time Cox is mentioned in a positive light, you seem to come in and try to drag those comments down. He may well be exceeding expectations as Pert said. I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to make out that we had a star on our hands, and I understand that he's never going to say that Cox is a dud and we shouldn't have picked him up, but the instant reaction to the comments by you have become so predictable that it seemed like you had some sort of agenda.

As you said, he has miles of development to go, but it's nice to hear that the club feels he is exceeding expectations at this point in time.

Stupied, you must have missed the discussions that lead to this fact. The only thing you are wrong about in your post is when you said no one expects him to be a difference maker. Folks over the summer kept including Cox in the list of young players that meant things were just peachy at Collingwood. My joking observations are clearly over the top without that background. I said in my last post that I will stop them now.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I'd be interested to see your take on Cox after his debut yesterday E. Not sure if you watched, but he had 16 hitouts in a half of footy going up against Warnock and co.

I know it's not elite competition, but they were AFL standard rucks he was competing against. I think he was showing some promising signs, his tap work seemed to be quite good. If he can develop enough to get some more of the pill (only had 1 handball, but was a good one) and take some marks he could well be a genuine prospect.

I can certainly understand why Pert was saying he is exceeding expectations. I certainly didn't expect him to perform as well as he did after only 6 months training and 1 intra club practice game.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Brenny wrote:
Apparently Eddie has come out today and suggested it's possible for us to win an unlikely flag.

Don’t know what Drugs Ed has been on but Geez we all like have them to be that Postive about us

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm

anything is possible.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:58 pm

John Wren wrote:
anything is possible.

We are not good enough to win the Flag. I be happy IF we make the Finals

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Brenny wrote:

Whilst I don't disagree that anything can happen in AFL and whilst I agree there may be a very remote chance we may win it, I think I prefer Gary's comments.

On the coverage of the game yesterday he said he never said that, he said that he was talking about expectations and how they wanted to do well. I think they're just hoping to improve and make finals. Someone may have taken whatever was said out of context.

Of course, not having been there or seen streaming etc of that can only take the word of Eddie on what he said, but everyone has the same chance of winning it is just unlikely for most that they will.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:07 pm

I'd be happy if we win the flag
Realistically top 4 for me
2010 was a building year too

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:47 am

The Prototype wrote:
Brenny wrote:

On the coverage of the game yesterday he said he never said that, he said that he was talking about expectations and how they wanted to do well. I think they're just hoping to improve and make finals. Someone may have taken whatever was said out of context.

Of course, not having been there or seen streaming etc of that can only take the word of Eddie on what he said, but everyone has the same chance of winning it is just unlikely for most that they will.

Correct mate!

If anyone bothered to watch Eddie's speech he was pretty much talking in the context that the playing group shouldn't set limits for itself rather it should give 100% each and every week and by undertaking this mindset who knows what could be achieved by the playing group.

Eddie and co know deep down that a flag this year is highly unlikely this year but why shouldn't the players give it their all and if that means playing finals this year or just missing out this year then that will set a good foundation heading into future years where this current playing group matures and obtains more experience.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:24 am

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
anything is possible.

We are not good enough to win the Flag. I be happy IF we make the Finals

a flag is improbable. i would like us to make the finals and then win one or more final.

i am expecting us to finish in the 5-10 range. again, anything is possible but our ladder position is not solely determined by us.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

If you have a look at our draw then anything less than finals would be disappointing.

Our first 11 weeks in particular are pretty reasonable with Geelong the standout opponent followed by North and Richmond.

We should be aiming for 8-3.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:22 pm

swoop42 wrote:
If you have a look at our draw then anything less than finals would be disappointing.

I hope you're right Swoop but I just have a feeling that we won't play finals this year unless everything goes our way in terms of natural improvement, injuries, improving our game plan and a bit of luck at the end of it all.

My expectations are quite low compared to most people here to be honest but I will be the first to admit I was wrong if we do play finals this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: