Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gary Pert discusses expectations 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 pm
Post subject: Gary Pert discusses expectations 2015Reply with quote

Here is a link to Gary Pert's interview this afternoon on SEN.
I like his comments on Mason Cox - "We had high expectations, but he's exceeding them."

http://www.sen.com.au/news/gary-pert-on-2015-expectations-carlton-injuries

E 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Gary Pert discusses expectations 2015Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
I like his comments on Mason Cox - "We had high expectations, but he's exceeding them."

That is just a puff piece. What exactly has he done to exceed expectations. He hasn't even played a game yet????

a puff piece baby. they all said the same thing about Shae when he arrived too.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Neil the new DTM?
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:08 pm

C'mon Mr E relax and enjoy the pre season!
I agree with Perty as a matter of fact. Mason has been quite impressive playing as a resting forward and ruckman. I reckon this boy will make it, but like Jon Marsh and Michael Manteit, it's a long term investment. In two years they may all be members of a super team.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Good interview by Gary!

However I don't share any sympathy of Carlton's struggles however Twisted Evil

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:36 pm

E wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

That is just a puff piece. What exactly has he done to exceed expectations. He hasn't even played a game yet????

Maybe he's picking up the skills required faster than expected? Maybe he's developing his game sense really well? Maybe he's doing those things faster than Shae did when he arrived, who is the only real yardstick they have to measure the progress of an American rookie like Cox?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with all your negativity on the big guy. It's like you're willing him to fail just so you can say 'I told you so'.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
C'mon Mr E relax and enjoy the pre season!
I agree with Perty as a matter of fact. Mason has been quite impressive playing as a resting forward and ruckman. I reckon this boy will make it, but like Jon Marsh and Michael Manteit, it's a long term investment. In two years they may all be members of a super team.

Mr Neil, i am very relaxed and i am more excited this pre-season than any other in recent memory. Maybe 2008 was the last time i was this excited. We have a really talented bunch of kids and i think we are moving 100% in the right direction. unlike 2010 and 2011, we havent had success in a while which makes the anticipation of some success all the more exciting.

That doesnt change the fact that Mr. Pert delivered a puff piece on Mason Cox. Not surprising mind you. The thing teams do in the pre-season is inject some optimism into the fanbase. But if you have genuinely exceeded expectations by plucking a few marks against your team-mates in the first week of January when you are three feet taller than your team and no one is really trying that hard to spoil, then expe ctations must have been super SUPER low.

Actually, i will say that Mason Cox has actually exceeded my expectations of him by a lot. I could easily deliver the puff piece Perty did with a straight face and mean it sincerely. And maybe that says it all.......

E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:22 pm

Stupied wrote:
E wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Maybe he's picking up the skills required faster than expected? Maybe he's developing his game sense really well? Maybe he's doing those things faster than Shae did when he arrived, who is the only real yardstick they have to measure the progress of an American rookie like Cox?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with all your negativity on the big guy. It's like you're willing him to fail just so you can say 'I told you so'.

Maybe i need to be clearer. Mason Cox might become a wonderful AFL footballer. I would love that more than (or at least as much as) anyone because of my US connection. My main beef is with folks who are suggesting he is ANYWHERE near AFL ready today. Miles and miles of development required becasue he is so far behind even a modestly talented VFL player.

Even worse, some folks were including him on list with DeGOey and Scharenberg and Freeman and Moore and Grundy and Broomhead as guys who could be difference makers ......

It is the absurdity of these things that made me provide the reality check. I apologize if you would like to keep fantasizing about a one in a million chance that he turns into a Pendlebury type superstar. I deal in realistic probablitlity and not tattslotto type fantasy. Please feel free to keep fantasizing. I'll zip it now.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Nothing that I know of.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 pm

I think if Mason Cox can become the equivalent of what Mike Pyke is at Sydney then the club would definitely regard that as a success.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:27 am

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-11/forward-thinking-part-one

Quote:
COLLINGWOOD

Brenden Abbott: A project player who the Pies believe, given the right development, will turn into a dangerous player inside forward 50. Possesses a raking left-foot and takes a strong grab.

Jarryd Blair: Blair will be keen to atone for a down season in 2014, which started badly when he broke his toe while riding his bike to the beach in the pre-season. The Pies will rely on the small forward's pressure to create turnovers.

Tim Broomhead: Magpie fans are yet to see the best of Broomhead, who has been limited by injury and illness (glandular fever) in his first two seasons in the League. But you get the feeling the youngster, who has played eight senior games, is ready to make his mark. A clever forward/midfielder who can pick his way through traffic with relative ease.

Travis Cloke: Perhaps Collingwood's most vital player, considering his importance to the team's structure. Cloke's fortunes in front of goal will be crucial in determining the Magpies' finals hopes this season.

Jamie Elliott: Elliott is one of the most exciting young players in the AFL and he is starting to match potential with consistency. The 22-year-old is a difficult match-up because of his aerial ability and speed at ground level.

Alex Fasolo: Set to return to the forward line after a year of experimentation in defence. Fasolo suits a forward role because he can make something out of nothing and doesn't need a whole lot of possessions to influence a game.

Corey Gault: The big forward has been unlucky with injury, but showed enough in his debut game, in the final round of last season, that he could be worth persisting with. The 199cm forward can clunk marks and finish his work from set shots.

Tyson Goldsack: A crucial member of Nathan Buckley's line-up, given his ability to play in a range of positions. However, Goldsack is most valuable as a pressure forward. When the Pies are up and about, Goldsack and Blair are usually right in the thick of things.

Patrick Karnezis: Failed to debut in his first season at Collingwood, after crossing from the Brisbane Lions. Now injury free, that's unlikely to be the case this season with Karnezis shaping as a potential round one debutant.

Lachlan Keeffe: Nathan Buckley told AFL.com.au that Keeffe will likely play forward this season as the Magpies search for another option to aid Travis Cloke. With Ben Reid, Jack Frost and Nathan Brown to fill the positions down back, shifting forward could prove to be an inspired move for Keeffe.

Ben Kennedy: The nippy small forward has found himself in and out of the side in the past two years, but 2015 looms as the right year for him to make himself a regular. Has improved his fitness meaning he can also have stints through the midfield.

Ben Sinclair: Initially drafted as a forward, Sinclair is more likely to spend time down back in 2015 (as has been the case in recent seasons). His speed off the mark and ability to scrap make him a valuable defensive option for coach Nathan Buckley.

Travis Varcoe: After eight seasons at Geelong, Varcoe Has made every post a winner since joining the Pies in the off-season. He is fitter than he has ever been and has been one of the most impressive summer performers at Collingwood. Likely to rotate between the forward flank and the wing at the Pies this season.

Jesse White: Shed a whopping eight kilograms in the pre-season to ensure he was in the best shape to attack the 2015 season. White was inconsistent in his first season at Collingwood in 2014, but if he can make more of an impact this year then the Magpies will be better off. – Ben Guthrie

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:58 am

A lot to smile about when reading that list but I certainly didn't smile when I read that they still like the idea of both Sack and Blair in the forward line.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:10 pm

E wrote:
Stupied wrote:
E wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

Maybe i need to be clearer. Mason Cox might become a wonderful AFL footballer. I would love that more than (or at least as much as) anyone because of my US connection. My main beef is with folks who are suggesting he is ANYWHERE near AFL ready today. Miles and miles of development required becasue he is so far behind even a modestly talented VFL player.

Even worse, some folks were including him on list with DeGOey and Scharenberg and Freeman and Moore and Grundy and Broomhead as guys who could be difference makers ......

It is the absurdity of these things that made me provide the reality check. I apologize if you would like to keep fantasizing about a one in a million chance that he turns into a Pendlebury type superstar. I deal in realistic probablitlity and not tattslotto type fantasy. Please feel free to keep fantasizing. I'll zip it now.

I don't think anyone expects him to be a difference maker, or even get close to playing a senior game this year. It would be nice if he were able to become something special, but I don't think I've given you any reason from my previous post to believe that I'm fantasizing about him becoming a premier player of the competition, so I'm not sure where that swipe came from.

It's just that any time Cox is mentioned in a positive light, you seem to come in and try to drag those comments down. He may well be exceeding expectations as Pert said. I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to make out that we had a star on our hands, and I understand that he's never going to say that Cox is a dud and we shouldn't have picked him up, but the instant reaction to the comments by you have become so predictable that it seemed like you had some sort of agenda.

As you said, he has miles of development to go, but it's nice to hear that the club feels he is exceeding expectations at this point in time.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:04 pm

roar wrote:
A lot to smile about when reading that list but I certainly didn't smile when I read that they still like the idea of both Sack and Blair in the forward line.

"Like"

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:10 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
roar wrote:

"Like"

"dislike"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: