Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fabulous Phil Carman on Fox Footy (Open Mike)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:03 pm
Post subject: Fabulous Phil Carman on Fox Footy (Open Mike)Reply with quote

Open Mike, this coming Monday has Mike Sheahan interviewing Phil Carman. Hooley Dooley could Fabulous Phil Carman play! Never forget 11 goals at Moorabbin in his first year. [/b]
boofa 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil COULD play alright dont worry about that.....

Unfortunately , Phil played in the best interests of Phil.

He cost Collingwood at least 2 flags with his undisciplined play.

The best comparison i could give you is Brendan Fevola, ALL CLASS , NO BRAINS.................................
The biggest Letdown player of all time at the pies was "Fab Phil"

ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Still a nutjob Smile
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 am

boofa wrote:

The best comparison i could give you is Brendan Fevola, ALL CLASS , NO BRAINS.................................

That's a creative call - 2 flags! I've spent the last 35 years shaking my head in disbelief at the laughable suggestion that Phil "cost" Collingwood the 1977 flag - when the 'Pies were almost 5 goals in front of a team which had scored 4 for the entire day at three-quarter time and he wasn't even on the ground when the rest of the team decided to wobble in public. But - at this late date - I expect that garbage to be trotted out every time his name is managed. I am extremely impressed, though, that you can find him at fault for some other Collingwood failure. Which was it? '75, '76 or '78? Or, perhaps, some other year after he'd left Collingwood?
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 am

I thought this guy was the best player ever when I was a kid. He could do anything. Unfortunately his temper was his undoing.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:51 am

Here we go again.................
Joeboy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:04 pm

in the game against hawthorn, phil carmen,s first qtr was the best individual quarter of footy one could wish to witness. the whole crowd stood as one clapping and cheering his magnificent display,the hawks had to do something to stop him ,so they sent Tuck onto him. Tuck hooked phil with a great punch to the chin and they both went to ground with tuck on top phil rolled him over and him one in retaliation for which he was pinged and got two weeks , which some say cost us a flag
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:22 pm

boofa wrote:

Sorry boofa, but that comparison with Fevola is so wrong!

Fevola was a lazy self centred player who did not train hard enough and was never fully fit. Fabulous Phil Carman was a fitness fanatic who trained far harder than all his teammates, which is one reason why he was not liked by a few players - because his professionalism made them look like amateurs. His only fault, was that he suffered from white line fever and unfortunately git rubbed out too many times.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
boofa wrote:

That's a creative call - 2 flags! I've spent the last 35 years shaking my head in disbelief at the laughable suggestion that Phil "cost" Collingwood the 1977 flag - when the 'Pies were almost 5 goals in front of a team which had scored 4 for the entire day at three-quarter time and he wasn't even on the ground when the rest of the team decided to wobble in public. But - at this late date - I expect that garbage to be trotted out every time his name is managed. Or, perhaps, some other year after he'd left Collingwood?

Mate, yours is the first opinion i've EVER read who doesn't hold Carmen accountable for 1977 draw, and subsequent loss.
We blame the club for releasing him for 1979, and not securing Quinlan to replace him.

Dyso
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
boofa wrote:

That's a creative call - 2 flags! I've spent the last 35 years shaking my head in disbelief at the laughable suggestion that Phil "cost" Collingwood the 1977 flag - when the 'Pies were almost 5 goals in front of a team which had scored 4 for the entire day at three-quarter time and he wasn't even on the ground when the rest of the team decided to wobble in public. But - at this late date - I expect that garbage to be trotted out every time his name is managed. Or, perhaps, some other year after he'd left Collingwood?

Mate, yours is the first opinion i've EVER read who doesn't hold Carmen accountable for 1977 draw, and subsequent loss.
We blame the club for releasing him for 1979, and not securing Quinlan to replace him.

Dyso

Dyso, I completely understand that I am in the minority (perhaps even a minority of 1?) about this. However, my point is not that Phil's absence wasn't the result of a stupid act. It clearly was.

My concern has always been that the Club allowed responsibility for the loss to be deflected onto Carman. That game should never have been drawn. 27 points in front at the last change - and North hadn't kicked a goal for more than an hour of football. It takes a special effort not to win a game when you lead by almost 5 goals at the last change and the other team only scores 5 (and you score 1) in the final act.

IMO, the players who returned that miserable result should have been asked to take responsibility for it themselves - not given the easy out of blaming a player who did not participate.

As for Phil's replacement, Hafey wanted Edwards and got him. And Brewer. And Craig Davis. It's not like the Club was stuck with the recruiting problems of the present day.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 pm
Post subject: Phil Carman on Open Mike.Reply with quote

Tonight at 9.30pm on Fox Footy Mike Sheahan has a half hour interview with Phil Carman.

If the past few interviews in this series are anything to go by this should be must watch television, especially for those Pies fans who are old enough to have seen him play.

Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Enjoying it so far, amazing how candid blokes can get,

One season for Melbourne, dropped to the seconds, kicked the footy at the coach and went home.

Different times I suppose, very different expectations to now on all sides.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:03 pm

woftam wrote:
I thought this guy was the best player ever when I was a kid. He could do anything. Unfortunately his temper was his undoing.

+1 Very Happy second only to Greening. Just couldn't control his temper.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Phil was an incredible talent. He emerged just at the age my mum let me start going to the footy. Such a shame we did not win the 77 flag with him. He just had that white line fever. He was perhaps the biggest talent we had between the Greening era and the Daico era. After watching that interview he seems quite sad he missed out on staying at Collingwood. He admitted he had many regrets and wished he'd played 200 games with us and believed he could of helped us grabbed a flag from the years 79 to 81 if he and a couple other players had not left at the end of 78.
ClokingDevice 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Even the way he moved was pure poetry

Last edited by ClokingDevice on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: