Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A heart felt thanks to The Millane Family

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
A guy called Daicos made the No.35 famous.

It rankles me the decision Ed made regarding it in the wake of our premiership win.

It was his "coach for life" moment and it was an emotional and dumb call.

Just like the number 35 I would very much like to see the number 42 running around the MCG on a regular basis.

Perhaps it should be made the captains number.

For mine after 24 years reviving the number is the best way to keep the memory of Millane alive for future generations.

My recollection about No.35 was that it was some sort of joint tribute to Daics and Presti. With all due respect to Presti, when I see it, it's much more about Daics than Presti for me.

In regard to No.42, again with all due respect to Pants he was never Captain of our club, so to give it to the Captain doesn't really feel like the right fit to me.

No.22 has a special honour due to Bobby Rose and to a lesser extent John Greening and Tony Shaw. I don't think there is any particular criteria that goes with it though.

I like the fact that Richmond hold No.17 in the highest regard due to a player that played so long ago, Jack Dyer. Most of our numbers with some significance attached to them are from fairly recent history.

Maybe we need a conceptual list of the most important numbers in our clubs history. Not too many though. Say 10.

Guys like Nuts and Syd Coventry for example who are in the very top echelon of players in our history, yet I hate to say I don't really know off the top of my head which numbers they wore. I think an exercise for the club beckons on this issue.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Some where i think i saw a photo of a great mark by Dick Lee and believe i saw number
13 on his jumper
Anyone a yes or no to that??????

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:12 pm

Correct.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 pm

barrybc41 wrote:

Quote:
Some where i think i saw a photo of a great mark by Dick Lee and believe i saw number
13 on his jumper
Anyone a yes or no to that??????

Certainly do have a problem with that

Starting with Brett Cooper the bloke done for heroin sales. Then there was John Burke the bloke who bopped the umpire, then there was the amazing Richard Cole and finally our premiership winning hero who ended up playing for...the Showponies!!!

That number is bad news.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:53 pm

How about the iconic number 34? Worn proudly by Mick Mcguane and the forgotten Doug Gott.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:56 pm

the iconic number 34?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Nice of them to give the ball to the museum which I believe will be part of the new social club complex, which is rapidly taking shape by the way.

Regarding the jumper, the Millane family have been resistant to any move by the club to resurrect the No.42 jumper. But I have a cunning plan. Perhaps it could be unretired under special circumstances. Much like Presti's No.35 going to the club's No.1 draft pick, perhaps the No.42 could be worn by the Darren Millane Perpetual Trophy award-winner for a year. This way, the jumper remains an icon, but it gets to be worn every year in Darren's name. I think this would make the jumper even more special.

Imagine Mrs Millane, not only presenting the Darren Millane Trophy, as she does every year, but also presenting the number 42! There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house......well at least from those of us who were there in 1990!

Assumes players will be willing to give up the jumper they already wear.

Personally, I'd like the Millane family to nominate a young player who they feel typifies Pants by personality and playing style. You could see De Goey or a player of that ilk wearing it throughout their careers with distinction.

I think its been great that the club has retired 42 but comes a time when it will gain longer lasting significance and prestige by having a young gun making a name for himself with 42 on his back. Doesn't have to be ongoing, if they don't feel there's a suitable player, don't allocate.

Last edited by jackcass on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:41 pm

swoop42 wrote:
A guy called Daicos made the No.35 famous.

It rankles me the decision Ed made regarding it in the wake of our premiership win.

It was his "coach for life" moment and it was an emotional and dumb call.

Just like the number 35 I would very much like to see the number 42 running around the MCG on a regular basis.

Perhaps it should be made the captains number.

For mine after 24 years reviving the number is the best way to keep the memory of Millane alive for future generations.

Daics kids will be draft age soon and hopefully, like Moore, they'll get to wear their old mans jumper if they want.
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:50 pm

What about the captain of the collingwood fc always wear number 42?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:26 am

ronrat wrote:
I really don't think Pants would have wanted his number retired. I think he would want us to move on. If it is given to someone they must keep it and forge their own identity. Nice gesture though by his Mum. That footy belongs to all of us.

My thoughts exactly

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:21 am

VicParkTragic wrote:
What about the captain of the collingwood fc always wear number 42?

As others have said though, Pants wasn't ever captain. He was equal measures raging bull, lovable larrikin, and very talented footballer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: