Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Phil Carman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
I reckon Phil lived in Lilydale from memory and had a St Bernard dog named P.J.

He lived in Chirnside Park. My young brother and his mate were kicking a footy at the oval there and both were Pies fans. They saw him doing laps and asked him if he could have a kick with them. My brother called him Phil and he said "Don't call me Phil, call me Fabulous". My brother who was 13 at the time came home and and said he was a total dickhead.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:59 am

Reading this thread, I am embarrassed to be a Collingwood supporter. This man was clearly the most talented footballer I ever saw and my all-time favourite player. The vitriolic abuse just needs to stop. It is hurtful and unbecoming.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:31 pm

ronrat wrote:
Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
I reckon Phil lived in Lilydale from memory and had a St Bernard dog named P.J.

He lived in Chirnside Park. My young brother and his mate were kicking a footy at the oval there and both were Pies fans. They saw him doing laps and asked him if he could have a kick with them. My brother called him Phil and he said "Don't call me Phil, call me Fabulous". My brother who was 13 at the time came home and and said he was a total dickhead.

I don't believe your brother. Phil was a neighbour of mine for about 12 months and he was very friendly. I remember as a teenager I had my knee bandaged after a cartilage operation and Phil went out of his way to ask how I'd injured myself and how I was recovering. Both he and Thommo were terrific blokes.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:39 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Reading this thread, I am embarrassed to be a Collingwood supporter. This man was clearly the most talented footballer I ever saw and my all-time favourite player. The vitriolic abuse just needs to stop. It is hurtful and unbecoming.

Yes totally agree! Whatever you think of Phil Carman he was one of our most exciting and talented players ever. Why some people take these positive posts and use them as an opportunity to shit can our club and its magnificent history I'll never know.

Some seem to forget it was Hafey that recruited Phil Carman. Carman inspired other players and helped us rise from bottom in 76 to Premiers in 77. Jock McHale said that Carman was one of the greatest players ever to put on the black and white and would have fitted into to his top best 5 players in the 30's. So put that in your pipe! We were a great side in 77 and still are today.

I won't here of any criticism of Fabulous Phil by Pies fans. Those that do maybe Carlton plants on this sight. Beware.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:45 pm
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Yes totally agree! Whatever you think of Phil Carman he was one of our most exciting and talented players ever. Why some people take these positive posts and use them as an opportunity to shit can our club and its magnificent history I'll never know.

Some seem to forget it was Hafey that recruited Phil Carman. Carman inspired other players and helped us rise from bottom in 76 to Premiers in 77. Jock McHale said that Carman was one of the greatest players ever to put on the black and white and would have fitted into to his top best 5 players in the 30's. So put that in your pipe! We were a great side in 77 and still are today.

I won't here of any criticism of Fabulous Phil by Pies fans. Those that do maybe Carlton plants on this sight. Beware.

Hafey was coaching Richmond in 1975, you stupid old goat.

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Well he was consulted otherwise he would have sacked Carman. In any case, Hafey thought Fabulous was a brilliant player. He told the Social Club this himself. So you are a foul old goat who hates a good news Pies story.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:02 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Another character woven into the rich tapestry of Collingwood's history.

Funny though, he cops a lot of bad press about '77; do you reckon Rocca will ever face the same vitriol for 2003, or Cloke for 2002?

Not sure about Cloke, he actually played better in that GF. Wink

Rocca's was as unnecessary and dumb and cost us the 2003 GF and Buck's chance at a flag. Without him, probably our only irreplaceable player, our whole structure fell to pieces and, well, Rhyce Shaw. Game over. Mind you, they let Big Bad Bustling play two years later for worse. Just to help break the Swans' drought.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:53 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

yep, and Hafey it was who showed Fab Phil the door in 1978, after he was fed up with his massive ego and arrogance. Phil went to the Deeees and from memory, did absolutely sweet bugger all with that rabble. Hafey got rid of him, which is an inconvenient truth it would seem to some on here. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Cam wrote:

Funny though, he cops a lot of bad press about '77; do you reckon Rocca will ever face the same vitriol for 2003, or Cloke for 2002?

Rocca's was as unnecessary and dumb and cost us the 2003 GF and Buck's chance at a flag. Without him, probably our only irreplaceable player, our whole structure fell to pieces and, well, Rhyce Shaw. Game over. Mind you, they let Big Bad Bustling play two years later for worse. Just to help break the Swans' drought.

Mate, with due respect, id say Cloke cost us the 2002 GF, but I don't think Rocca would have made much difference in the 03 one, we were massacred by a talent ridden team, we had no chance, it was over at half time. Sad

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Cam wrote:

Mate, with due respect, id say Cloke cost us the 2002 GF, but I don't think Rocca would have made much difference in the 03 one, we were massacred by a talent ridden team, we had no chance, it was over at half time. Sad

Truth is we'll never know pnc. I'm actually with Cam on this. We were never in the contest in 2003 once Rocca was rubbed out.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:13 pm

In hindsight we were gone once Rocca was suspended. And whilst his report was unnecessary it wasn't as bad as Phil's imo (as it was at least in the general play and Lade wasn't even slightly hurt) and if we were an interstate club Rocca would have played as Cam alluded to. The whole "free Bazza" media campaign was truly pathetic in 2005. Just because it would've made better copy if the Swans won the flag that year the rules that were strictly enforced for Ant and Jason no longer applied to Hall according to the likes of Sheehan and Robinson, who from memory cheerleaded for Hall's acquittal the loudest.

Our 2003 GF side contained too many weak links to cover the structural loss (and ability) of Rocca. I mean a side that contains all of Richard Cole, Ben Kinnear, Matthew Lokan and Tristian Walker is unlikely to win too many flags especially against a side a jam packed with talent as the Lions were.

I've only watched that nightmare game the once but the scars still linger. From memory only Buckley, Burns, Didak and Josh Fraser could hold their heads up after that debacle and Mathouse definitely should've hung his head in shame for his game day coaching and post match conduct.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:35 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

yep, and Hafey it was who showed Fab Phil the door in 1978, after he was fed up with his massive ego and arrogance. Phil went to the Deeees and from memory, did absolutely sweet bugger all with that rabble. Hafey got rid of him, which is an inconvenient truth it would seem to some on here. Confused
I am sick and tired of this tripe. The 1977 Grand Final team managed to let that game slip from its grasp all on its own, despite a match-winning position. Blame the players (and coach) who couldn't defend that apparently unassailable three-quarter time lead, if you must. Don't blame a guy who wasn't on the park. That's just pathetic.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Doc63 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I am sick and tired of this tripe. The 1977 Grand Final team managed to let that game slip from its grasp all on its own, despite a match-winning position. Blame the players (and coach) who couldn't defend that apparently unassailable three-quarter time lead, if you must. Don't blame a guy who wasn't on the park. That's just pathetic.

Oh turn it up, he wasn't on the ground due to his own utter stupidity, and he would have at least booted one point in that draw, and we would have won a miracle flag. He let the team down badly, bottom line, he was on fire that season, even he said several years ago, " yeh, I let them down, its very disappointing still for me even now, all these years later", he knew himself he was the key missing link, its like the hawks now with no roughead, Freo with no Pav, Suns with no abblett, these guys make all the difference. Yes, we had a 28 point lead at end of the third qtr, but if Phil had played It would have been a 40 point lead, Norf would never have caught us. He cost us a premiership, get over it, I actually liked Phil, he was damn brilliant, that's what is so frustrating, brilliant but no brains and no nous either. Rolling Eyes

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:06 pm

That argument is so misconceived, I am not going to waste time on it. Suffice it to say that as an hypothetical, it's just nonsense.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Flashman wrote:
In hindsight we were gone once Rocca was suspended. And whilst his report was unnecessary it wasn't as bad as Phil's imo (as it was at least in the general play and Lade wasn't even slightly hurt) and if we were an interstate club Rocca would have played as Cam alluded to. The whole "free Bazza" media campaign was truly pathetic in 2005. Just because it would've made better copy if the Swans won the flag that year the rules that were strictly enforced for Ant and Jason no longer applied to Hall according to the likes of Sheehan and Robinson, who from memory cheerleaded for Hall's acquittal the loudest.

Our 2003 GF side contained too many weak links to cover the structural loss (and ability) of Rocca. I mean a side that contains all of Richard Cole, Ben Kinnear, Matthew Lokan and Tristian Walker is unlikely to win too many flags especially against a side a jam packed with talent as the Lions were.

I've only watched that nightmare game the once but the scars still linger. From memory only Buckley, Burns, Didak and Josh Fraser could hold their heads up after that debacle and Mathouse definitely should've hung his head in shame for his game day coaching and post match conduct.

Well-said Flashman!

Hindsight and logical reasoning says we were never going to win that match but at the time there was a reason to be optimistic despite Rocca's exclusion but having the likes of Walker, Cole and Kinnear in your side always meant we were doomed to fail against a more talented Lions side who had the benefit of a larger salary cap and AFL concessions on their side.

We had beaten the Lions three weeks before in the Qualifying Final, the 2002 Grand Final performance against them was gallant, brave and hard-fought despite the loss and our finals campaign leading into the Grand Final had been superb whereas the Lions had been solid without being spectacular. It's weird but even though I was only a young kid when that match occurred I felt more gutted that day when we lost to the Lions than I did when we lost to the Cats in 2011.

I suppose the reasoning behind the contrasting reactions that is that I had this sense that our opportunity to win a Grand Final during that window of 2002-2003 was over after failing twice whereas after losing to Geelong in 2011 I always felt the window was still wide open but sadly it's proven to not have eventuated as I hoped. I think the 2011 loss hurts more in the long-term as opposed to now where our decline has occurred and we've needed to embrace a rebuild of the side.

Back to Phil Carman most say we would have won in 1977 easily had he played so it's a moment I'm sure he regrets in hindsight now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: