Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Phil Carman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A Great Player but also a Complete Idiot
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:16 pm

There's any number of things that may have a contribution to Phil's well known issues with authority figures, but damn that boy could play footy.

At 188cm and 87kg he was KPP size for the day but had the tank of a modern day midfielder, He is one of the past greats who would make it in modern footy in a slightly different role.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Another character woven into the rich tapestry of Collingwood's history.

Funny though, he cops a lot of bad press about '77; do you reckon Rocca will ever face the same vitriol for 2003, or Cloke for 2002?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Flashman 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:

Funny though, he cops a lot of bad press about '77; do you reckon Rocca will ever face the same vitriol for 2003, or Cloke for 2002?

Neither Clokes nor Roccas acts were a blatant, unnecessary or stupid as Carmans act. He punched Tuck in the fukking head metres off the ball for absolutely no reason a week out from a Grand Final. He had a peanut for a brain.

I actually find it a bit strange all this gushing about a bloke who ultimately let his teammates and the club down. Sure he had talent but in the end he didn't deliver. Trav Cloke has been a much more valuable player for us, a premiership player to boot, yet you still get threads calling for him to be given the arse.

I'd like to see some love for a Billy Picken a teammate from that era who doesn't get the same plaudits but never let us down in a grand final, ever. He's a true Pies hero for mine.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Billy Picken was a gun. Half back line nos 24, 25 and 26.

Ireland, Picken, Byrne.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Hedonistic, narcissistic, vainglorious bastard - and they were his good points.

I'd happily send him off to Indonesia with a suitcase full of weed.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Flashman wrote:

Neither Clokes nor Roccas acts were a blatant, unnecessary or stupid as Carmans act. He punched Tuck in the fukking head metres off the ball for absolutely no reason a week out from a Grand Final. He had a peanut for a brain.

I actually find it a bit strange all this gushing about a bloke who ultimately let his teammates and the club down. Sure he had talent but in the end he didn't deliver. Trav Cloke has been a much more valuable player for us, a premiership player to boot, yet you still get threads calling for him to be given the arse.

I'd like to see some love for a Billy Picken a teammate from that era who doesn't get the same plaudits but never let us down in a grand final, ever. He's a true Pies hero for mine.

That's totally correct, metres off the ball, but it was before video reporting and at the time that sort of stuff went on all the time. It was like Carman was picked on by the umpires and they just didn't like him. I was at that final with one of the sons of the Hawthorn coach who got us some pretty good tickets.

Phil Carman was one of those once in a generation players they go on about, but his temperament let him down.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 pm

Flashman wrote:

That's totally correct, metres off the ball, but it was before video reporting and at the time that sort of stuff went on all the time. It was like Carman was picked on by the umpires and they just didn't like him. I was at that final with one of the sons of the Hawthorn coach who got us some pretty good tickets.

Phil Carman was one of those once in a generation players they go on about, but his temperament let him down.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:41 pm
Post subject: Re: NonsenseReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
He cost us a flag in 77 as tom hafey said a number of times. he hit tuck in full view of he umpire in the second semi, and got two weeks, he was on fire and would have booted four goals in the drawn GF. He was a brilliant player, but had no brains, a loose cannon, I liked him, but he did cost us a premiership for sure, as Hafey often said too.

Hafey in his book said that Phil did not cost us the 77 GF. It was poor umpiring. He praised Phil in the Social Club at the annual dinner I attended. So don't rewrite history and slag off one of our greatest ever champions. Tuck deserved it anyway. The Tribunal had it in for us and thought be giving Phil a suspension we would lose. Well they were wrong. We didn't.

Geez, that's strange, your the one rewriting history. I myself heard Tommy say himself, on radio several times, that Carman did a "dumb and stupid thing in the 77 GF, that cost us a flag in my (his ) opinion". He also went on to say, that Fabulous was "on fire" that season, and would have kicked goals in the GF for sure. I have not read his book, but not only did I hear him say this on radio, he was also quoted in articles saying Carman cost us the flag for his utter stupidity in hitting Tuck right in front of the Ump. Remember this is the guy who head butted an umpire, he was a brilliant player, but a total loose cannon. Why the hell do you think Hafey cleared him to the Dees, if he thought so highly of him at the end of the 1978 season, Hafey had had enough of his antics, so he delisted him and he went to Melbourne, or do you choose to forget that fact ?? Confused Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Flashman wrote:

Spot on, despite what our Hiss says, Carman let down the whole team in 77 with his stupid act in the Second semi, so blatant and dumb, and it cost us the flag for sure, the drawn GF. Tommy had had a gutful of him by the end of 78, so he got cleared to the Dees, where he did not much at all really, he then ended up at the Dons, and headbutted an umpire. Brilliant player, but no brains, total loose cannon. Sad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Flashman wrote:

Spot on, despite what our Hiss says, Carman let down the whole team in 77 with his stupid act in the Second semi, so blatant and dumb, and it cost us the flag for sure, the drawn GF. Tommy had had a gutful of him by the end of 78, so he got cleared to the Dees, where he did not much at all really, he then ended up at the Dons, and headbutted an umpire. Brilliant player, but no brains, total loose cannon. Sad

One of the reasons he was so frustrated at Collingwood was he was the only player training truly professionally. For about 12 months he shared a house with Len Thompson a few doors up from my family and I used to see him doing extra running and training because he always felt the rest of the team were not fit enough. He was correct about that. Obviously he had white line fever, which cost him and us dearly, but make no mistake, he was simply the best player in the VFL at the time. Like Greening and later on, Daics, he was a genius, and did things other players couldn't even imagine doing.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Not sure about Cloke, he actually played better in that GF. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:55 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Flashman wrote:

One of the reasons he was so frustrated at Collingwood was he was the only player training truly professionally. For about 12 months he shared a house with Len Thompson a few doors up from my family and I used to see him doing extra running and training because he always felt the rest of the team were not fit enough. He was correct about that. Obviously he had white line fever, which cost him and us dearly, but make no mistake, he was simply the best player in the VFL at the time. Like Greening and later on, Daics, he was a genius, and did things other players couldn't even imagine doing.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that (must have been after that) he had a house out east in the dandenongs and basically because he didn't have a job just trained every day running up and down in the hills. So when he went to actual training 2 nights per week, he could be forgiven for thinking he didn't need the work, unlike all the players who had day jobs

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:05 pm

I reckon Phil lived in Lilydale from memory and had a St Bernard dog named P.J.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:44 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
I reckon Phil lived in Lilydale from memory and had a St Bernard dog named P.J.

Yeah he ended up out that way, but for one year he and Len Thompson shared a house in East Melbourne, less than 2 kms from Vic Park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: