Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Nathan Freeman that good?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funkadelic 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crackerjack and TP for the kind words, yes It would be difficult to do every player!
Agree that off the ball work is just as important as kicks marks and handballs, it's just hard to quantify I guess, something you kinda have to see the game live to really get a grasp of. Also just wanted to correct the thought that it was freeman who centers the ball in the third, it was Broomhead.
To those who feel his game was underwhelming or not up to scratch, I ask what were your expectations? Every midfielder who played bar Mitchell had multiple clangers, and that doesn't bother me at all because it was the first competitive hit out for the year.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Funkadelic wrote:
Thanks crackerjack and TP for the kind words, yes It would be difficult to do every player!
Agree that off the ball work is just as important as kicks marks and handballs, it's just hard to quantify I guess, something you kinda have to see the game live to really get a grasp of. Also just wanted to correct the thought that it was freeman who centers the ball in the third, it was Broomhead.
To those who feel his game was underwhelming or not up to scratch, I ask what were your expectations? Every midfielder who played bar Mitchell had multiple clangers, and that doesn't bother me at all because it was the first competitive hit out for the year.

FWIW, I thought Freeman played a better game than Broomhead....and I think Broomhead is all class.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:44 pm

I have heard both Malcolm blight and david parkin say " you never judge a footballer on his first AFL game ". Thats good enough for me.
I would hate to be Scharenberg on debut, already he is on a hiding to nothing.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Funkadelic wrote:

My sense is that nearly everyone on this thread agrees that the kids has tonnes of time to show us his worth. It was just the OP who posed the question and it was a good question as it has led to a pretty good discussion on expectations of young kids.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Broomhead had a shocker. Oxley, who had his whole season derailed by injury, showed very little. Adams won 6 clearances, but I didn't remember much else. Dwyer hardly sighted. Ordinary games from Crisp, Brown, Frost Goldsack and Toovey. Mitchell, who has always given us trouble, was best on ground. Most of the best players were Hawks, and yet who won by 7 goals?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Both hammies intact. Pass
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Broomhead was indeed poor. He's been injured and needs to regain his touch - though he did do a couple of nice things just to remind us of his massive talent.

Oxley came on late in the game and did about as much as you could expect. He was fine when he got a chance. Nothing special, but no reason to worry.

Adams did a lot of hard work. He wasn't as effective as you'd want our #1 inside mid to be, but he's new in the role. He was worth his spot on the night and will improve as the season rolls on.

Dwyer played very well once he was brought on in the second half. Better than I'd expected, actually. He will get plenty of senioor games this year on that form.

Crisp: showed a bit, didn't knock anyone's socks off. Wait and see.

Brown: started like carp, slowly got better as the game went on. Long way to go yet, but the improvement was noticable and he'll be better for the run.

Frost looked out of touch and completely lost. It will take him a while to adjust to the very different role he's being asked to play now that Brown has been given Frost's spot at full back. He's a smart cookie, I reckon he will learn. Either that or take his normal spot back if Brown doesn't nail it down.

Goldsack did a little bit. Not very much.

Toovey was almost unsighted.

The whole side looked rusty and uncoordinated. But they found a way to beat the Hawthorn Reserves, I'm not quite sure how. Mostly by kicking it to a forward in a good position instead of landing it on Cloke's head, I think.

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:49 pm

^ this kicking to good position made sure Cloke was unsighted thorough the night!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:58 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Broomhead had a shocker. Oxley, who had his whole season derailed by injury, showed very little. Adams won 6 clearances, but I didn't remember much else. Dwyer hardly sighted. Ordinary games from Crisp, Brown, Frost Goldsack and Toovey. Mitchell, who has always given us trouble, was best on ground. Most of the best players were Hawks, and yet who won by 7 goals?

After reading this you would think we're were flogged not winners by a significant margin
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:03 pm

^ the mind boggles to imagine what could have been written if we had lost!!
Gone Critical 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:49 pm

Freeman has missed a crucial year of football and vital development. His confidence probably needs to be regained. He will be behind the spot he entered the club 12 months ago and needs some time to make up lost ground. He is essentially a first year player and as such won't be expected to play the early rounds and if he does well in the VFL will get games during the year. If he can be someone who steps up and does better than that great but it shouldn't be a given.

We lack A grade players but not 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players jockeying for a spot in the 22. Freeman will be fine just give him time. Crazy to even think about grading him on the 1st NAB cup game.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:45 pm

The reason for the hype over Freeman was his pre-season training form where he blew everyone away and was probably the hardest worker in the side, that on top of his form in that crucial first half of his only hit-out last year made everyone sit up and take notice. If he followed this up with a couple of good performances in the NAB most people would have expected him to front up on the i/c bench come round 1.

For me I had high expectations, I was looking for 1 highlight from him and I got to see it: He walked down the race after the 4th quarter ended on his own two legs, no limp, no bandages. It was marvellous to watch!

Someone compared him to DeGoey, who really looked good, but then DeGoey played a full season of footy last year!

Freeman will likely get 2 more chances to show his fitness, speed and skill, chances he earned by working his arse of in the pre-season. If he lights up against Carlton or the Doggies he might still start Round 1 in the ones, but I certainly don't expect it. I thought he was OK last week, but then I was too busy being blown away by Paddy K, and enjoying the form of Jess White, Faz, Gault, Crisp, Grundy, Greenwood, Degoey, and stuff me even Varcoe!

Freeman will have a good year provided he retains the ability to keep those legs underneath him, his speed will be a great asset to us

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Defender wrote:
Jet Buckley worries me as well, he's shown absolutely nothing so far.
Laughing Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Funkadelic wrote:
hey gang, so Ive gone though the game again and have noted Freemans contribution. I don't belive he played in the first qtr so lets kick it off at the 2nd:
6:30-Brodie free kick on Wing/HF. Freeman handball receive, 40m kick to Fas inside 50 one on one
4:30-Center, handball receive from Adams, kicks to wing to Thomas advantage
2:45-WingThomas 20m kick, hangs it up long enough for Mitchell to contest, Freeman puts strong body contact on and takes the mark. Short 20m chip to Kennedy which is almost intercepted, leads to contest
HALF TIME
David King starts yapping on about Freeman. 'only had 3 disposals so far'. Only been on the ground 10 minutes. No cheeky bet on him for Rising Star Kingy you degenerate?!
3rd Qtr
15:30-Handball receive from Crisp, takes a few steps, takes the contact from two hawks and kicks 20m to Elliot on the Wing/HF who marks.
11:56-Varcoe smothered kick, Freeman gathers, draws player and handballs back to Varcoe who kicks long to Faz.
10:25-Half Back/Wing Short kick from Greenwood, Freeman marks and switches play across half back to Marley to start attack
3:00-this is the play that everyone thinks he kicks it back into the center resulting in a goal to Mitchell. Dwaye Russell calls it as Freeman but its actually Broomhead.
2:00-Half Forward, handball receive from white, dinks a 10m kick wide to Varcoe in space
1:18-Center, handball receive from Sinclair, draws player then handballs to Thomas in space.
4th Qtr
18:15-center, handball to Oxley under some pressure
8:30-short kick from Frost to 50m line, centering kick to Karnezis advantage, mark, goal.
7:00- center square, gathers loose ball, clearing kick to Half Forward
1:50- Half Back/Wwing, gathers loose ball, handball to Kennedy in space.

He played about 50% of the game. From this I cant really see how people would be disappointed with his game. Thought he played a pretty solid game for a kid.

Not another one who relies on statistics, facts & a sound analysis & not relying on impression. Rolling Eyes

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:23 pm

I thought funkadelic was providing us with the facts and stats so we could all form our own impression anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: