Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Nathan Freeman that good?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There was another kid called Ramsay, another called Fasolo. both had shockers last year...

All that is needed is some time away from Mr Injuries, then look out.

Plus, there is so many of them...

Goodyear, Grundy, Witts, Maynard, De Goey

Remember how bad we were in 2005 when everyone was injured, compared to 2006 when we had a better squad.

Remember how bad Port Adelaide were when Robbie Gray was injured?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Is Nathan Freeman that good?Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
TimetoFly wrote:
I am hoping that some posters here that go to training & have seen freeman at in the 18's could share some light on him.

I have watched the hawks game again & he looked very sloppy. Under pressure he constantly fumbled, he kicked the ball back into the dangerzone once, which result in a Mitchell goal. He could of been more composed and kicked down the line instead.

His kicking was very poor and even when they hit the target you could see that ball didnt come off correctly, as it span the wrong way. I saw him calling for the ball when out of position & with a player right on him. He didnt use his pace to advantage.

I know it was his first game back from injury and its early days, but I didnt like what I saw.

For example when you saw de goey, you could just see that this kid has something special.

Just didnt see anything like that with Freeman. Hope I am wrong but I dont see all the hype in him.

I totally agree. All this hype about young players who haven't even played a senior game yet is way over the top. High expectations that can lead to being let down very badly.

However according to many posters here, he is a choice candidate to take Blairs place in the team. Go figure Rolling Eyes

Thank god you're going to Sri Lanka tomorrow!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Stupied wrote:
He hasn't played a game for 12 months, of course he's going to be rusty.

I suppose you think Scharenberg should light up the VFL in his first game back too?

It might just be me, but I reckon 13 disposals @ 84% DE, a goal assist and 6 score involvements with just over 50% TOG is a pretty good return for a guy who hasn't played a competitive game for a whole year, despite the rustiness of his skills.

This! Kid didn't put his name up in lights but I've been saying consistently that I'd expect him to play VFL early in the season. Not sure we could expect too much more.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 pm

neil wrote:
I refuse to assess a player based on one game after being out for over a year.

Cannot understand why anyone would

Haven't been on Nick's for long then, have you. Shocked But these are just the conservative folks, slow to make an adverse judgment. Most of 'em here don't even need the one game to condemn a player if it suits the fashion of the moment.

Remember all those red faces when the "hopeless" Armstrong was selected in the seniors and played better than half the regulars? Seldom have I enjoyed a week on Nicks so much.

(Does that make me sound like a bit of a shallow cnut? Well it's not true. People who know me well will tell you I am in fact not a bit of a cnut. Not at all. In fact, I am cnut all the way through.)

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:45 pm

It's way too early to cast a sensible judgement on Nathan Freeman's progress. In total the kid has played one full match of professional AFL football since he was drafted and the judgements being made here are very premature.

Freeman is someone with a lot of pace to burn and with the side lacking pace Freeman will be a very handy addition to this team when he's ready to play senior football on a regular basis. I agree that his disposal efficiency was rusty last week but he needs the appropriate and adequate time to adjust to the pace and the high standards expected of him to be a great and consistent ball user for the team.

If Hine didn't think Freeman was worth drafting he wouldn't have recruited him at pick 10 so I trust that he's made the correct call on this recruitment from 2013. Admittedly many of us may have been premature in stating that Freeman is practically an automatic inclusion for the round 1 match against Brisbane based on extensive training reports that he was training brilliantly during the off-season. It's still possible that may play in round 1 but the upcoming practice matches against Carlton and the Bulldogs will provide a much better insight as to whether this will happen or not.

Freeman will be a great player for us but he hasn't played enough football to judge appropriately his progress with the club. Don't expect a massive year from him by any means but I think we will get a positive glimpse of what he's capable of in the future when experience and the necessary development has been undertaken by him and he matures as a footballer and a person in general.

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:00 pm
Post subject: Re: Is Nathan Freeman that good?Reply with quote

TimetoFly wrote:
I am hoping that some posters here that go to training & have seen freeman at in the 18's could share some light on him.

I have watched the hawks game again & he looked very sloppy. Under pressure he constantly fumbled, he kicked the ball back into the dangerzone once, which result in a Mitchell goal. He could of been more composed and kicked down the line instead.

His kicking was very poor and even when they hit the target you could see that ball didnt come off correctly, as it span the wrong way. I saw him calling for the ball when out of position & with a player right on him. He didnt use his pace to advantage.

I know it was his first game back from injury and its early days, but I didnt like what I saw.

For example when you saw de goey, you could just see that this kid has something special.

Just didnt see anything like that with Freeman. Hope I am wrong but I dont see all the hype in him.

I thought EXACTLY the same, TTF. I thought Freeza was very underwhelming. It wasn't a good game by any standard, and didn't have the run and disposal I expected at this stage.

In saying that, It could be confidence in his body, rust, cobwebs, playing a tagging role on the day............who knows? That said, plenty of time for improvement.

Go The Pies!
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Is Freeman the one who tore his hammy in the nab cup game against geelong last year. I was under the impression that he was an exceptional junior talent and lightening fast?
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Jet Buckley worries me as well, he's shown absolutely nothing so far.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
Is Freeman the one who tore his hammy in the nab cup game against geelong last year. I was under the impression that he was an exceptional junior talent and lightening fast?

Yep, that's him, very fast but especially off the mark which is what you want, he was highly regarded in his draft year, most phantoms had going from 6-10.

You like this.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

For what it's worth after a quiet start I thought he played alright last week anyway. He got some nice touches, centred a kick that led directly to a goal and got a couple of clearances.

No it wasn't a Dangerfield like performance but a pretty solid Blair like one to be fair.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Iirc he did the same hammy 3 times, but the initial one was the biggie, heard they identified a flaw in his running gait and he's worked hard to correct it, not 100% on this by the way, it's just something rattling around in my head, but if its true it could explain why/if he has a slow start to the season.

You like this.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:41 pm

good things take time. I remember reading about his progress in the off season and the club were excited about how well he was doing. suspect last week's 'shocker' could be put down to nerves.
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:42 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Now seems the right time to pass my comments on nathan freeman having lived around the corner from the freemans for many years and having watched him play his junior footy at Dingley and at Sandy dragons.
He is not the messiah, however he is an incredibly gifted athlete who will leave no stone unturned to get the very best out of himself. He has always been a raging bull on the footy field who was close to unstoppable when he had a head of steam up. Kicking efficiency was never his strength but the pies knew that when they took him on. He will continue to improve steadily under their development program. He is a fitness nut. On saturday morning he was running hard in the local streets after playing on thursday evening. His dedication to improve is undeniable. He has been the same through all his junior footy. Give him time, he will be a good player. If his kicking was any better, he would have gone higher than # 10. Pies wanted grunt and speed in the midfield and they got it. The polish will come.

Ty for that insight... However that hasnt filled me with confidence. I just hope we didnt go for the "Athelete" instead of a natural footballer. Kicking ability is so important in todays football and a pick 10 should always be above average kicking skills..

I will be supporting Freeman to the cows come home & hope he deleivers. Its so important for our future.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Stupied wrote:
neil wrote:
I refuse to assess a player based on one game after being out for over a year.

Cannot understand why anyone would

Exactly.

Jump the gun much

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:08 pm

TimetoFly wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Now seems the right time to pass my comments on nathan freeman having lived around the corner from the freemans for many years and having watched him play his junior footy at Dingley and at Sandy dragons.
He is not the messiah, however he is an incredibly gifted athlete who will leave no stone unturned to get the very best out of himself. He has always been a raging bull on the footy field who was close to unstoppable when he had a head of steam up. Kicking efficiency was never his strength but the pies knew that when they took him on. He will continue to improve steadily under their development program. He is a fitness nut. On saturday morning he was running hard in the local streets after playing on thursday evening. His dedication to improve is undeniable. He has been the same through all his junior footy. Give him time, he will be a good player. If his kicking was any better, he would have gone higher than # 10. Pies wanted grunt and speed in the midfield and they got it. The polish will come.

Ty for that insight... However that hasnt filled me with confidence. I just hope we didnt go for the "Athelete" instead of a natural footballer. Kicking ability is so important in todays football and a pick 10 should always be above average kicking skills..

I will be supporting Freeman to the cows come home & hope he deleivers. Its so important for our future.

He isn't a poor kick but hes far from elite, Marsh is what you call a poor kick, that dude can seriously hit nothing but air when kicking on the run.

A kid with Freemans athletic traits who has elite skills is commonly referred to as the no1 draft pick mate, unless they have social issues, you don't get guys with elite traits all round at pick 10 on exposed u18 form, of course there are diamonds in the rough, and we have hit pay dirt in the past.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: