Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Nathan Freeman that good?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:43 pm
Post subject: Is Nathan Freeman that good?Reply with quote

I am hoping that some posters here that go to training & have seen freeman at in the 18's could share some light on him.

I have watched the hawks game again & he looked very sloppy. Under pressure he constantly fumbled, he kicked the ball back into the dangerzone once, which result in a Mitchell goal. He could of been more composed and kicked down the line instead.

His kicking was very poor and even when they hit the target you could see that ball didnt come off correctly, as it span the wrong way. I saw him calling for the ball when out of position & with a player right on him. He didnt use his pace to advantage.

I know it was his first game back from injury and its early days, but I didnt like what I saw.

For example when you saw de goey, you could just see that this kid has something special.

Just didnt see anything like that with Freeman. Hope I am wrong but I dont see all the hype in him.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:53 pm
Post subject: Re: Is Nathan Freeman that good?Reply with quote

TimetoFly wrote:
I am hoping that some posters here that go to training & have seen freeman at in the 18's could share some light on him.

I have watched the hawks game again & he looked very sloppy. Under pressure he constantly fumbled, he kicked the ball back into the dangerzone once, which result in a Mitchell goal. He could of been more composed and kicked down the line instead.

His kicking was very poor and even when they hit the target you could see that ball didnt come off correctly, as it span the wrong way. I saw him calling for the ball when out of position & with a player right on him. He didnt use his pace to advantage.

I know it was his first game back from injury and its early days, but I didnt like what I saw.

For example when you saw de goey, you could just see that this kid has something special.

Just didnt see anything like that with Freeman. Hope I am wrong but I dont see all the hype in him.

I totally agree. All this hype about young players who haven't even played a senior game yet is way over the top. High expectations that can lead to being let down very badly.

However according to many posters here, he is a choice candidate to take Blairs place in the team. Go figure Rolling Eyes

TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Lazza, Youth is very important & at the pies we have some great young gems.

I had Freeman in my best 22 based on the hype, but after seeing him v hawks, he wouldnt be in my best 27.

I hope the kid comes out & proves me wrong, I would love it. But I have great fears we have stuffed up pick 6 (sharenberg) injury the big issue & pick 10 (freeman). If one of these players dont come on to be something special that will set us back a fair bit.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:10 pm

He hasn't played a game for 12 months, of course he's going to be rusty.

I suppose you think Scharenberg should light up the VFL in his first game back too?

It might just be me, but I reckon 13 disposals @ 84% DE, a goal assist and 6 score involvements with just over 50% TOG is a pretty good return for a guy who hasn't played a competitive game for a whole year, despite the rustiness of his skills.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 pm

I refuse to assess a player based on one game after being out for over a year.

Cannot understand why anyone would

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 pm

neil wrote:
I refuse to assess a player based on one game after being out for over a year.

Cannot understand why anyone would

Exactly.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 pm

I don't think it's fair to assess a young player until they've been fit and available for 2-3 full seasons, let alone 2 NAB challenge games, well 1 and a bit in Freeman's case.

I don't think Freeman is in consideration for round 1, at least at the moment, because he's simply missed too much football, and we have a relatively fit list at the moment.

If he can play 6 + senior games this year it will be a pass mark IMO, especially coming off a shocking year due to injury last season.
TimetoFly 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

I sure dont expect Freeman or Sharenberg to light up the game after a year out of football.

No one can expect that.

What I was after was just a little sign this kid has it. You know like when de goey broke away from mitchell & kicked to to gault.

Or when Ramsay ran at full pace took a bounce and hit fasolo on the chest.

Just a little sign to say yep that kid can play. I sure didnt expect him to be BOG or run a muck, he just needed to show me something & he didnt.

He also played the last quarter when the hawks were spent & with fresh legs he still didnt impress me.

Once again I hope I am wrong.. hopefully in NAB 2 he shows me something I can hang on to.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:33 pm

In Hyne I trust.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:00 pm

TimetoFly wrote:
I sure dont expect Freeman or Sharenberg to light up the game after a year out of football.

No one can expect that.

What I was after was just a little sign this kid has it. You know like when de goey broke away from mitchell & kicked to to gault.

Or when Ramsay ran at full pace took a bounce and hit fasolo on the chest.

Just a little sign to say yep that kid can play. I sure didnt expect him to be BOG or run a muck, he just needed to show me something & he didnt.

He also played the last quarter when the hawks were spent & with fresh legs he still didnt impress me.

Once again I hope I am wrong.. hopefully in NAB 2 he shows me something I can hang on to.

lol at using ramsay as a comparison. when up and going freeman will surpass ramsay by the length of the flemington straight.

freeman will be very good for us.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:12 pm

He's rusty as, hasn't played for a year, doesn't matter how much training and friendly games you have nothing removes the rust except match time, look for him to hit his straps around mid year IMO.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:12 pm

Lazza wrote:
TimetoFly wrote:

I totally agree. All this hype about young players who haven't even played a senior game yet is way over the top. High expectations that can lead to being let down very badly.

However according to many posters here, he is a choice candidate to take Blairs place in the team. Go figure Rolling Eyes

Fasolo, Karnezis, Kennedy, De Goey, Broomhead.

Already enough ahead of Blair so no need to include Freeman in the conversation. Razz

As for the OP Freeman hasn't played a competitive match against another club for 12 months and has played what 2 in total.

Despite the impressive training form he's still a babe in the woods when it comes to experiencing and dealing with the pressure of AFL level football and it'll take time for him to adjust to it like anyone else.

Personally I'm treating him and Scharenberg as first year players this season and anything we get out of them at AFL level will be a nice bonus.

We the supporters seem to be getting less patient each year waiting for these players to blossom at the highest level and long gone are the days when players would spend years in the reserve system before getting a senior call up.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Now seems the right time to pass my comments on nathan freeman having lived around the corner from the freemans for many years and having watched him play his junior footy at Dingley and at Sandy dragons.
He is not the messiah, however he is an incredibly gifted athlete who will leave no stone unturned to get the very best out of himself. He has always been a raging bull on the footy field who was close to unstoppable when he had a head of steam up. Kicking efficiency was never his strength but the pies knew that when they took him on. He will continue to improve steadily under their development program. He is a fitness nut. On saturday morning he was running hard in the local streets after playing on thursday evening. His dedication to improve is undeniable. He has been the same through all his junior footy. Give him time, he will be a good player. If his kicking was any better, he would have gone higher than # 10. Pies wanted grunt and speed in the midfield and they got it. The polish will come.
Az 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Let's not forget what happened in his first Nab game last year. No doubt there would have been a few thoughts of, if I run hard flat out again there's a fair chance I'm going to rip my hamstring again. The kid just needs a few games under his belt to get the confidence back in his legs, then we'll get to see the blistering pace he's known for. He'll come good
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:23 pm

Lazza wrote:
TimetoFly wrote:

So we're disloyal supporters for having an opinion that Jarrod Blair (on exposed form from the last two years) may struggle to get a game next year but you're happy to write off as a player completely a kid who has played the sum total of two practise matches (ripping his hamstring off the bone and missing a season of football consequently in one of them)?

To paraphrase yourself, go bloody figure Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: