Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Children in detention

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Children & Detention:

A yr 9 student called my brother ( a teacher for nearly 40 years) a fat old cnut on yard duty once. My brother yelled back:

Right you've got detention: "No one calls me old"

Yeah I'm not imagining things am I, did the title change? Co that's what I thought too!

Gees who never got detention, it was a badge of honour!

I like your brothers humour!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:49 pm

think positive wrote:
You handing over your baby bonus? (Didn't have it in my day). How about foregoing your student perks? Any part of your government assistance your willing to give up?

Already have—we missed the baby bonus by a few months (it only applied to children born before April 2014). While it's always nice to have a few extra thousand dollars, I can recognise bad policy when I see it, even if I stood to gain from it.

Yes, I still get some student benefits, but I'm also a working taxpayer. Although my preference would be a more progressive tax system (i.e. much greater equality in after-tax wages), if there was no other option I'd be happy to pay a higher tax rate if it meant that we could accommodate greater numbers of refugees and treat the ones already in our care more humanely. I'd be happy for you to pay more taxes, too.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:21 pm

No point arguing with people whose idealism prevents them from seeing facts.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:30 pm

'Facts' like the assertion that community processing exposes ordinary Australians to unacceptable risk? Or that community processing of asylum seekers is going to break the budget?

I get the arguments about deterrent and drowning at sea. It's a difficult issue, I acknowledge. But most of the stuff being argued in this thread has nothing to do with that. It's just fantasy.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:43 pm

David wrote:
'Facts' like the assertion that community processing exposes ordinary Australians to unacceptable risk? Or that community processing of asylum seekers is going to break the budget?

I get the arguments about deterrent and drowning at sea. It's a difficult issue, I acknowledge. But most of the stuff being argued in this thread has nothing to do with that. It's just fantasy.

The fantasy is the argument you started about whether they are more or less likely to be criminals, which is utterly irrelevant.

I'd be more inclined to say facts like the boat people's lives aren't at risk (until they get on the boat), they've already escaped that to get to Indonesia, so that's an idealistic emotive red herring.

Facts like it's bloody hard to process peoples claims quickly and efficiently when they throw all their ID in the bloody ocean on the way here. Ask the people trying to do it, do you think the government likes spending all the money they currently are?

Facts like if you take a soft Kumbya approach to these things you encourage more people to get on boats. As unpalatable as it may be, just look at what happened when Krudd dialed it back. Boats went up.

facts like Australia is not in a situation to simply take in unlimited numbers of humanitarian refugees. We need to impose a limit (feel free to disagree on what the limit is) and we need to manage that limit, not abdicate that to a third party who is only interested in making as much money ferrying as many suckers into our borders as possible.

There's any number of facts that refugee advocates completely ignore because it doesn't agree with how they want to see things and you're no different in that regard. It's all simple in theory, just raise taxes and bring in all the people who want to come and we'll all sit around and sing songs together.

Edit. Since this thread is now allegedly about children in detention and not just another thinly disguised pro boat people thread, any idea how many children are actually in detention centres right now as compared to 3 years ago?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:31 pm

I. Sure I already said it but I'll say it again, yay Stui!

Are the mods sock drawers this tidy?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Edit. Since this thread is now allegedly about children in detention and not just another thinly disguised pro boat people thread, any idea how many children are actually in detention centres right now as compared to 3 years ago?

Yes, I seem to remember a certain immigration minister using them as hostages so as to bribe crossbenchers into granting his department Stalinesque powers. Despite the fact that he could have released them at any point previously. Apparently most of the little bargaining chips are in the community now, and incredibly our neighbourhoods do not lie in smouldering ruins.

A shame, really, that they had to go through all that trauma for nothing.

Last edited by David on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:49 pm

What happens the rest of the time?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:35 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yes, I seem to remember a certain immigration minister using them as hostages so as to bribe crossbenchers into granting his department Stalinesque powers. Despite the fact that he could have released them at any point previously. Apparently most of the little bargaining chips are in the community now, and incredibly our neighbourhoods do not lie in smouldering ruins.

A shame, really, that they had to go through all that trauma for nothing.

Absolutely. Their parents should be ashamed of themselves for putting them through it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: