Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our big man conundrum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:33 pm
Post subject: Our big man conundrumReply with quote

Of our big man stocks of Witts, Grundy, Keeffe, Reid, Cloke, Gault, Brown, Frost, and eventually Moore, it's clear they won't all play together. So I'm wondering, assuming they're all fit and in form, who would be most likely to get into our best 22.

I'm assuming we'll play 2 ruckmen, so here's my selections, of preferred rucks, backs and forwards.

Rucks

Witts
Grundy

Backs

Frost
Reid
Brown

Forwards

Cloke
White

That leaves Gault, Keeffe and Moore in the VFL.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:42 pm
Post subject: Re: Our big man conundrumReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Of our big man stocks of Witts, Grundy, Keeffe, Reid, Cloke, Gault, Brown, Frost, and eventually Moore, it's clear they won't all play together. So I'm wondering, assuming they're all fit and in form, who would be most likely to get into our best 22.

I'm assuming we'll play 2 ruckmen, so here's my selections, of preferred rucks, backs and forwards.

Rucks

Witts
Grundy

Backs

Frost
Reid
Brown

Forwards

Cloke
White

All fit and in form, yep. At least at the start of the year although with Reid and brown down back you could equally drop Frost and play Keeffe.

I'd expect Moore to spend most of the year at VFL with the occasional run at AFL level to give him a taste. The only reason he would get a lot of AFL games is if we have fkn injuries again or he's banging the door down by blitzing at VFL level.

Gault is looming as an option to replace either White or the second ruck as he's a more natural forward then either Grundy or Witts (not saying they're bad at it) and has improved his ruckwork under Hudson so much it's amazing.

The Weed 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gault and Moore will have to display form that demands a game. Its a good position for us to be in.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Witts with his off season shoulder surgery and subsequent limited preseason would be in doubt for round 1 you'd imagine.

Who knows perhaps we'll just go with Grundy and play 2 of White, Keeffe or Gault all of whom could pinch hit in the ruck when needed.

P.S-I know that Keeffe has been doing forward training this preseason but has anyone noticed him doing ruck work?

Az 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:21 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Witts with his off season shoulder surgery and subsequent limited preseason would be in doubt for round 1 you'd imagine.

Who knows perhaps we'll just go with Grundy and play 2 of White, Keeffe or Gault all of whom could pinch hit in the ruck when needed.

P.S-I know that Keeffe has been doing forward training this preseason but has anyone noticed him doing ruck work?

I'm certain he's been in there a few times this preseason, but that could well have been due to the unavailability of Witts while recovering from his shoulder surgery.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:47 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Rucks

Witts
Grundy

Backs

Frost
Reid
Brown

Forwards

Cloke
White

A nice problem to have.

I'd still have Witts ahead of Grundy as preferred ruck, assuming both are fit.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:32 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Rucks

Witts
Grundy

Backs

Frost
Reid
Brown

Forwards

Cloke
White

Its called depth
Moore probably wont play senior football this year
Witts has a limited preseason

Plus White is pretty poor

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:42 pm

Assuming no significant injuries our kp depth along with names like Pendlebury, Swan, Sidebottom and Elliott are the reason why I remain bullish that we will and should make finals this season.

We have a young squad but the core of the team remains strong.

melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 pm

We lack KPFs. That is clear.

If White doesn't fire this year more often than not, then I think the game plan needs to change to a smaller setup and Cloke playing higher.

We also have no back up to Witty and Grundy. Cox is an experiment project, not a back up.

Swoop. Glad your bullish. I'm not so much. I think par is about 10th for us. Making finals this year would be an awesome effort.

Ball/Harry/Beams/Maxy is a massive established and consistent player hole made in our team. I can't see that being fixed in one summer. It's likely to take a season or two.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:44 pm

We may lack Key position forwards but we are ahead of most clubs in that regard and we have some serious options in the small/medium forward area. With some smart coaching, the tools are all there.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:06 pm

melliot wrote:

If White doesn't fire this year more often than not, then I think the game plan needs to change to a smaller setup and Cloke playing higher.

We also have no back up to Witty and Grundy. Cox is an experiment project, not a back up.

Swoop. Glad your bullish. I'm not so much. I think par is about 10th for us. Making finals this year would be an awesome effort.

Ball/Harry/Beams/Maxy is a massive established and consistent player hole made in our team. I can't see that being fixed in one summer. It's likely to take a season or two.

I agree!

The optimism from some of our posters in regards to our chances of making the eight are great to see but I still think we'll be up against it in terms of being able to play finals or not. I think we could push for a spot if we don't sustain any serious injuries and our game plan improves but there's still a lot of question marks hanging over the team.

For me the defence is actually quite good and I only attribute their poor form in the second half of the year last year due to fatigue and a lack of experience in the end because the likes of Reid and Brown were injured or lacked match fitness but the first half of last year was terrific. Our midfield has been bolstered with the inclusions of hard players in Greenwood and De Goey and of course Varcoe is a solid replacement for Lumumba. Beams' absence may hurt the club in the short-term but if someone like Swan can get back into excellent form before 2014 we'll be laughing.

Our forward line set up on Thursday was fantastic but I think they will be the key reason as to why we can play finals or not. If the likes of White, Karnezis and Fasolo all step it up this year all of a sudden our forward line looks quite potent and dangerous with Cloke and Elliott remaining constant threats in front of goal. Our predictability and reliance on Cloke and Elliott killed our season last year and it resulted in our inability to crack 100 points in many of our matches.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I still stand by my prediction that we will narrowly miss the finals but I do think our youngsters are great and we will reap the rewards sooner than later. For me 2017-2021 is our window of opportunity but this is the first time in a few years where I think we could move forward as a team rather than continually going backwards which has happened in the past three years.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:14 pm

Well White has to play well in the Regular Season 1st. Did not do that very much last season
melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Jezza wrote:
melliot wrote:

I agree!

The optimism from some of our posters in regards to our chances of making the eight are great to see but I still think we'll be up against it in terms of being able to play finals or not. I think we could push for a spot if we don't sustain any serious injuries and our game plan improves but there's still a lot of question marks hanging over the team.

For me the defence is actually quite good and I only attribute their poor form in the second half of the year last year due to fatigue and a lack of experience in the end because the likes of Reid and Brown were injured or lacked match fitness but the first half of last year was terrific. Our midfield has been bolstered with the inclusions of hard players in Greenwood and De Goey and of course Varcoe is a solid replacement for Lumumba. Beams' absence may hurt the club in the short-term but if someone like Swan can get back into excellent form before 2014 we'll be laughing.

Our forward line set up on Thursday was fantastic but I think they will be the key reason as to why we can play finals or not. If the likes of White, Karnezis and Fasolo all step it up this year all of a sudden our forward line looks quite potent and dangerous with Cloke and Elliott remaining constant threats in front of goal. Our predictability and reliance on Cloke and Elliott killed our season last year and it resulted in our inability to crack 100 points in many of our matches.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I still stand by my prediction that we will narrowly miss the finals but I do think our youngsters are great and we will reap the rewards sooner than later. For me 2017-2021 is our window of opportunity but this is the first time in a few years where I think we could move forward as a team rather than continually going backwards which has happened in the past three years.

To be fair, we may start off okay. But we'll tire after half way. Too many young unseasoned players.

I'm still excited about the season. Lookin forward to seeing who develops. Thomas. Broomy. BK. Faz. Sinkers. Marley. Grundy. Witts. Adams. Keeffe. Frost. Crisp. PK. Seedsman. White. These guys have had 2-4 years in the system and have shown glimpses of top line player potential. They are where our improvement will come from this year or where we tread water. How many of them have breakout years this year will determine much of our fate.
DeGoey, Moore, Freeman, Scharenberg and the like may play cameos. Not the heavy lifting.

My feel it's a year too early for the majority of the group. But they could surprise like 2007.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:19 am

What a great problem to have:

Two of the best young rucks in the game, (Witts & Grundy) there to work off each other, push each other, to cover for each other if injury or form require and to possibly play in the same team -if they are both good enough when not on the ball.

Two key forwards to push each other and give Cloke a chop out up forward, (White and Gault) and to be there for each other should injuries prevail or form taper off.

Keeffe there for the injury prone Reid and Brown when he is needed.
Frost there the heir apparent for full back and ready to take the job should he be called upon.

Moore learning the caper as one of the best young talls in the game that can play forward or back.

Its a great conundrum to have - the trick will be keeping them all fit and hanging on to them all going forward.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:35 am

There will be injuries and most likely to the talls also, so you need depth and possibly flexibility from the big fellas.

Brown, Frost and I believe Keefe are probably backs only. Keefe might be tried up fwd but I prefer to keep him down back. He is over 200cm and along with WHite should be able to go in the ruck now and then if we only have one other ruck playing.

Reid can switch but with White and Cloke up forward we really need White to be the floating 3rd tall option and not the 2nd tall - it didn't work last year so it is important to have a 2nd tall forward who demands attention. If Reid is not that man I would suggest Witts.

Witts and Grundy are the Rucks but should also be looked upon as fwd options. Rucks need to go back and block and go fwd and score now and then. Jolly was good at moving up and down the centre corridor and the young rucks need to be more of a presence this year!

Gault and Moore are very raw - Gault may get another chance at senior level this year but Moore needs moore time Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: