Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL Smart Replay gone!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOTR 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

regan is true fullback wrote:
The subscription for premium content via computer is $5 per week, which is $20 per month, which is $140 over 7 months. Then factor in the cost of replays over summer if you want them.

Yes, if you want to watch football live and all the other Fox analysis. But if like me you only want to watch the occasional replay - none if the Magpies lose, then the costs are more problematic. Having chosen to go down the computer road rather than the Foxtel road, it is a bit bizarre that the stuff I don't really want on Foxtel is available free, whereas the stuff I want is just out of reach, like the fox and the grapes.

The whole point of free to air is that it is free although like a meal at your parents place, you pay for it in other ways.

You're right, it is $149 for a full 12 months. I probably end up paying about $2 per game, which I'm quite happy with

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 am

regan is true fullback wrote:
The subscription for premium content via computer is $5 per week, which is $20 per month, which is $140 over 7 months. Then factor in the cost of replays over summer if you want them.

Yes, if you want to watch football live and all the other Fox analysis. But if like me you only want to watch the occasional replay - none if the Magpies lose, then the costs are more problematic. Having chosen to go down the computer road rather than the Foxtel road, it is a bit bizarre that the stuff I don't really want on Foxtel is available free, whereas the stuff I want is just out of reach, like the fox and the grapes.

The whole point of free to air is that it is free although like a meal at your parents place, you pay for it in other ways.

The problem is the cost of the online service, the problem is not enough free to air games.

What happened to our anti-siphoning laws?

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:29 pm

The anti-siphoning laws were brought in because of the debacle in England, where Rupert bought the rights to premier league soccer and only showed it on pay television thus disenfranchising people who could not afford the subscription service. As well, in England, you need a television licence, like a tax, which is widely resented, so taking up the subscription service was an easier step.

In Australia anything involving the Liberal Party of Australia is a compromise between what the people want and what their masters demand, so anti siphoning is sort of half-hearted, only those time slots that channel 7 and 9 want are given over to anti siphoned sport. It's worse with rugby league, which only has slots on Friday night and Sunday evening, the rest you must watch on subscription.

English soccer is only available on pay TV because it is deemed not important enough for anti-siphoning, only the FA Cup final is exempt.

With AFL Football, the computers were a quiet way of watching the footy without disturbing Rupert's monopoly too much, like the Catholic Church, as long as you don't get caught. People don't pay $60 per month just to watch the Kardashians. Now it seems THEY are cracking down on us, at the same time as the Americans are trying to crack down on downloading content. Makes me wonder...
MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:53 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-11-25/events-on-the-anti-siphoning-list/2351140

We still have four games a round on the free to air anti siphoning list. Unfortunately, this list is to be reviewed once again in December 2015. We'll have to keep our eye on this one, given the quid quo pro relationship between Murdoch and the current government.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Bit of a joke really, pollies promise we'll not lose FTA content... didn't the NAB cup get FTA coverage when the preseason comp first started... apparently there's a World Cup of cricket being played on our turf as well... pfffttt!!!!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:01 pm
Post subject: Re: AFL Smart Replay gone!Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
It is no longer possible to watch the AFL Smart Replay. Now, when you go to watch the game, you are required to get out your credit card and subscribe to an "AFL Live Pass" which is (a) expensive, and (b) gives you all sorts of other crap you don't want, such as smartphone apps (I don't have a smartphone) and live coverage (I don't need live coverage, I just want to watch the replay).

WTF?

Tannin my old man, you can watch the last 3 quarters under video on the AFL replay (qtr x qtr) website.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:26 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
It is no longer possible to watch the AFL Smart Replay. Now, when you go to watch the game, you are required to get out your credit card and subscribe to an "AFL Live Pass" which is (a) expensive, and (b) gives you all sorts of other crap you don't want, such as smartphone apps (I don't have a smartphone) and live coverage (I don't need live coverage, I just want to watch the replay).

WTF?

Tannin my old man, you can watch the last 3 quarters under video on the AFL replay (qtr x qtr) website.

tried that but it keeps redirecting me to the subscription page saying that I need a 'live pass'... unless there's another way around?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:16 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:

WTF?

tried that but it keeps redirecting me to the subscription page saying that I need a 'live pass'... unless there's another way around?

Had it on Friday & Saturday. Now can't get it (the videos that is) Rolling Eyes

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Has anyone tried watching a replay through the Match Centre?

Just click on the scoreboard ticker across the top of the AFL homepage (not the "watch replay" bit), scroll down to Match Videos, click the right arrow until you see the individual quarters appear, then click to play. Works for me...

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:04 pm

MagpieBat wrote:

Just click on the scoreboard ticker across the top of the AFL homepage (not the "watch replay" bit), scroll down to Match Videos, click the right arrow until you see the individual quarters appear, then click to play. Works for me...

Yup, works for me too Very Happy

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Yup, works for me too Very Happy

Brilliant find MagpieBat. Thanks.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Yep, thanks to WPT's tip. But there are only quarters 1, 3, and 4!
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Tannin wrote:
Yep, thanks to WPT's tip. But there are only quarters 1, 3, and 4!

No, all 4 quarters are still there. Just checked.

Edit: I meant in the Match Centre...

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 pm

I checked at least five times, MagpieBat, no Q2. I guarantee that 100%. It is there now, a full day after it was supposed to go up. How farnarkling incompetent are these clowns anyway?
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Just watched it - all except for about ten minutes of the last quarter. Screen went green and skipped forward to pick up play about two minutes from the end.

Corrupted video file? Hopefully it will get fixed because that was the quarter when the Pies' took the game away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: