Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vic State Government and the Tunnel

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:55 am
Post subject: Vic State Government and the TunnelReply with quote

Danny won the election saying the tunnel won't be built. "The contract is not worth the paper it's printed on".

My view, is the contract is valid and the State Government either builds it or compensates those who signed on. Now the Compensation is a major hurdle.
What we have is the corporations saying (example) we won't 1 Billion Dollars. The State has replied with piss off we will give you $300 Million. The Corporates won't budge and now to apply pressure the State says no worries we will make legislation that the contract will be invalid. (Danger Will Robinson).

Danny boy is caught between a rock and a hard place.

Whether the tunnel goes ahead or doesn't as a taxpayer we will be screwed over once again.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What about their public transport project? Would hardly want to bleed funds from that to direct to a white elephant road that they campaigned against.

If federal funding is going to be an issue, these are long-term projects. We'll have a new non-road-obsessed government in 18 months, so that's no problem.

As for corporate compensation, has this money actually been allocated? I would have thought it was pretty straightforward: if they sent in funding for the road, then they get every cent back. If they merely promised it, what's the issue?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:48 am

Why are they so against the road anyway?

The population is growing year by year so I would thought you city slickers would need the infrastructure to match.

Glad I live in the country.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:06 am

Hey Swoop, It's estimated to cost $58 Billion by the time it's finished. I think thats a good reason. Personally my thoughts it will make no difference it will be a road for the rich. The poor will not be able to afford the estimated $25 toll each way so they will avoid it like they do now and create more congestion.

The Ring Road connected to the Eastern Freeway would ease more traffic (especially Heavy Trucks) and is so logical I cannot believe no Government has gone down this path. Rail from Doncaster to the City another that has been promised for over 60 years would take even more cars of the road.

The thing I am pissed off about, they rushed the signing knowing there was a fair chance they would lose the election and signed clauses for a payout. It's downright corrupt.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:08 am
Post subject: Re: Vic State Government and the TunnelReply with quote

Culprit wrote:
Danny won the election saying the tunnel won't be built. "The contract is not worth the paper it's printed on".

My view, is the contract is valid and the State Government either builds it or compensates those who signed on. Now the Compensation is a major hurdle.
What we have is the corporations saying (example) we won't 1 Billion Dollars. The State has replied with piss off we will give you $300 Million. The Corporates won't budge and now to apply pressure the State says no worries we will make legislation that the contract will be invalid. (Danger Will Robinson).

Whether the tunnel goes ahead or doesn't as a taxpayer we will be screwed over once again.

Do you have any reasonable basis for expressing the view that the "contract is valid", or are you just guessing?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:11 am
Post subject: Re: Vic State Government and the TunnelReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Do you have any reasonable basis for expressing the view that the "contract is valid", or are you just guessing?
If it wasn't do you think Danny Boy would be in this dilemma?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:06 pm

My hope is some smart lawyer comes up with a winnable plan to sue the LNP for signing the papers so close to the election knowing the other party was against it.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Where did you get your hope is some smart lawyer comes up with a winnable plan to sue the LNP for signing the papers so close to the election knowing the other party was against it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Uranus!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Culprit wrote:
Hey Swoop, It's estimated to cost $58 Billion by the time it's finished. I think thats a good reason. Personally my thoughts it will make no difference it will be a road for the rich. The poor will not be able to afford the estimated $25 toll each way so they will avoid it like they do now and create more congestion.

The Ring Road connected to the Eastern Freeway would ease more traffic (especially Heavy Trucks) and is so logical I cannot believe no Government has gone down this path. Rail from Doncaster to the City another that has been promised for over 60 years would take even more cars of the road.

The thing I am pissed off about, they rushed the signing knowing there was a fair chance they would lose the election and signed clauses for a payout. It's downright corrupt.

While you're correct in a way—I and many others would never have actually been able to use the road, given the prohibitive tolls—it would have at the very least diverted wealthier drivers off regular roads, thus easing congestion for at least a short period of time (until population growth nullifies any progress again).

But it was an expensive, long-term project, and given the long-term importance of getting cars off roads, it would be far more sensible to invest that money in public transport. Planning and building take so long that we're always going to be running behind schedule there, so we need all the funding we can get.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Culprit wrote:

Absolutely yes. Connecting the ring Road at Greensborough to the Eastern should be a no brainer but the Greens won't let it happen. I think when it was last raised someone found a rare frog near Eltham or something. Rolling Eyes I heard Napthine asked about it on MMM before the election and he ran away at light speed from the idea claiming "environmental" issues. If the Libs weren't game to try it there's zero chance Labor will.

Frigging pity because apart from completing the ring, linking the Eastern suburbs to the Hume would be brilliant.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:24 pm

^ so true Uncle Stui. If you look at a map of Melbourne, the lack of a North/ South collection between the Ring Road and the Eastern is an obvious omission.

We also need an East West connection from the Eastern to Deer Park across the North and one running North / South along the Eastern side of the city, - pretty much up or under St Georges Road down through Clifton Hill and connecting to the M1 at Punt Road.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Why are they so against the road anyway?

The population is growing year by year so I would thought you city slickers would need the infrastructure to match.

Glad I live in the country.

Because the greenies who live in the city are against any new road, it was a miracle Eastlink got built!

It is amazing that with the funding around it was going to cost the State Government $2 billion, but they will pay up to $1.2 billion in compensation to not build it...

Gotta love those Greenies!

But I am biased as I live in the Eastern suburbs and we reap the most benefits from it hence the great popularity it has out this side of town and why most seats in the East continue to be Liberal safe seats

I went into the City the other day, middle of the day and stopped a few hundred metres from the end of the freeway to go onto Alexandra parade, when its busy it is a nightmare and don't even bother trying on a weekend!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:06 pm

The problem with public transport is it is not a 24 hour option.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:41 pm

ronrat wrote:
The problem with public transport is it is not a 24 hour option.

It also gets a lot less frequent the further you get from the CBD. It's all good for the unwashed inner city denizens to talk up Public transport, it's not going to carry goods from Sydney to Dandenong, it's not going to help me get from the northern suburbs to the Eastern ones.

When everything you want is in a 3km radius then feet, bicycles and public transport are all you need. Unless you want to get the kids to day care then suddenly a FWD tank is required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: