Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Depth Meter (tm)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 pm
Post subject: The Depth Meter (tm)Reply with quote

Funny team, Collingwood.

We have so much depth that we could nearly play two senior sides every March.

In April we have an injury or two and a few bods out of form, but it's no problem, we have massive depth.

In May, our better players are all under pressure but we have some great kids coming through.

Come June, we lack experience but we still have a few stars.

Every July, we discover that three or four veteran champions are really only beaten up old hacks.

In August, it's all about wishing we had a decent list and pumping games into the kids and hoping desperately that we can draft a Wonder Forward and trade a couple of cast-offs for next year's Brownlow Medalist.

It's got me beat. How come our depth is huge in summer - yes, every single year it's the same - pretty good in autumn, not nearly good enough in winter, and something you can only get by trading with bloody Brisbane for in spring?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth is an illusion.

In September last year, Hawthorn had a team that batted 35 players deep. Take out a few stars though, and all of a sudden you look shit.

We benefitted massively from a shit Hawthorn team tonight. We're not that good.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:49 am

They, on the other hand, have an "embarrassment of riches" on the forward line. Which is why they kicked 10 goals.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:13 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Depth is an illusion.

In September last year, Hawthorn had a team that batted 35 players deep. Take out a few stars though, and all of a sudden you look shit.

No we not that good? No we are Awesome! always have been we are unbeaten in Tasmania this year deal with it!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:48 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Depth is an illusion.

Before you write us off for the season lets just see over a reasonable period what they bring to the table.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:09 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Depth is an illusion.

Your postive vibes are great ! Rolling Eyes
and two more from lazza Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

www.facebook/the hybernators
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Come July we're out of our depth!!!
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

i think we have a lot of depth. I can't think of too many players out of the whole squad where you would cry "Oh s***, so and so has been picked".

Our problem might be that our average player profile is "good ordinary footballer", and not enough A graders.

Still, i was happy to see Greenwood, Crisp, Karnesis, De Goey and Varcoe all looking proficient.

I approach the season with some optimism.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:13 pm

3rd degree wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Depth is an illusion.

Your postive vibes are great ! Rolling Eyes
and two more from lazza Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If you re-re-read what I wrote (given that you've read it twice) all I said was that the concept of depth is rubbish. Everyone lauded Hawks for their depth but last night showed that take a few players out, and that so called depth disappears as some players can play a supporting role, but can't support a whole team.

Regarding our form, yes, we benefits from a pretty lousy Hawthorn team. We're not a 44 point better team than the Hawks, no way, but I think were closing the gap from the last few years. As I said, we're not that good.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 pm

It used to be that your top 6 players won you a premiership. Now the wisdom is that it's your bottom 6.

Yeah you still need some guns but no matter how good your top players are, they can't cover spuds if your depth sucks.

So right now we probably have a reasonably settled top 6 none of whom played last night.

We could probably argue for weeks over who is in the next 6, but here's the good thing. There's probably at least 15 players all fighting for a spot in that bottom 6. That's a really good spot to be in, that's depth.

The depth doesn't help when your top 6 fall over, but they can replace the next 6. To use the analogy Hawthorn used last year when they had a number of injuries including to the coach, A soldier goes down, a soldier replaces them. They just don't replace your sergeant or leftie.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
i think we have a lot of depth. I can't think of too many players out of the whole squad where you would cry "Oh s***, so and so has been picked".

Correct. Look at the calendar. It's not quite March yet. We always have masses of depth in March. Every year. Without fail. Which of course is the point of the OP.

To prove me wrong, come back here in September and say the same thing. If you can do that this year and mean it, I'll be completely dead wrong and I'll stand the drinks ... and I won't give a tupenny bugger 'coz there is a fair chance we'll be quaffing them from a great big silver cup. ..... If everyone still thinks we have massive depth come September. Smile

E 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:42 am

stui magpie wrote:
It used to be that your top 6 players won you a premiership. Now the wisdom is that it's your bottom 6.

Yeah you still need some guns but no matter how good your top players are, they can't cover spuds if your depth sucks.

So right now we probably have a reasonably settled top 6 none of whom played last night.

We could probably argue for weeks over who is in the next 6, but here's the good thing. There's probably at least 15 players all fighting for a spot in that bottom 6. That's a really good spot to be in, that's depth.

The depth doesn't help when your top 6 fall over, but they can replace the next 6. To use the analogy Hawthorn used last year when they had a number of injuries including to the coach, A soldier goes down, a soldier replaces them. They just don't replace your sergeant or leftie.

Pendles, Cloke, Swan....... Reid?, who else is in our top six that were rested? just curious as to your thoughts on our top 6. I'd definitely have Sidey in it. Is Elliot number 6? We don't really have a 6 I don't think anymore. I think in time we will have an Elite 8, or something like that with some of the gems coming through.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 am

gurugeoff wrote:

Our problem might be that our average player profile is "good ordinary footballer", and not enough A graders.

Still, i was happy to see Greenwood, Crisp, Karnesis, De Goey and Varcoe all looking proficient.

I approach the season with some optimism.

You've nailed it. We need our mid tier to step up. Our depth is fine, our elite depth is not. Losing Beams is not going to help us in that respect.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:55 pm

The importance of depth means different things at different times according to a clubs premiership window. You dont really need depth when you are rebuilding because supporters and club have reduced performance expectations and the investment is in youth, not topping up. When the window is open, you need depth for back up. The top teams add depth, the bottom teams rebuild.
Pies dont have many stars, so i think its easy to confuse our "depth " with a multitude of foot soldiers who are serviceable if called upon. The first round picks ( and others ) coming through will address this over the next year or two.
And who needs depth if you dont have a serious injury all winter.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:14 pm

We are optimists
Well most of us

September is when reality kicks optimism in the balls except 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: