Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. NAB Challenge - Pies smash Hawks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Some players play well when it's not important and disappear when it is important.
Some players just play OK when it's not important and then go up a notch when it is important.
Sidey falls into the latter category. That's why he is our second best player.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:59 pm

I disagree. I think February is when you want the Sidebottoms, Pendleburys and Clokes to be at their absolute best.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
didick wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

For mine the biggest negative (and I just finished watching the match replay for a second time) was Sidey. Yes he had 22 or 23 but half were ineffective and 4 of his first 5 touches we're backwards to players under the pump. Not to mention he missed a goal from less than 30 out again and couldn't even get a point. Yes he did some good stuff but under pressure he is very much like Williams. Watch his opponents if you get the chance to watch the replay. First Langford bathed him early then he was sent forward and on Mitchell who got leather poisoning while Sidey run 20 meters behind him. Yes he got over the back for a easy goal but he didn't man up at all all night on his direct opponent. I counted (when I could clearly see who his direct opponet was) they had 37 touches and set up 3 goals.

Yep his kicking is not improving. I don't know what's going on. Dinky kicks even when under minimal pressure. Costing us goals and putting others under pressure. He's got a fair way to go to be elite IMO.

Since he's been the second best player at the Club over the last three seasons, that's a source of serious concern.

Not surprising as we have the worst foot skills possibly of all time.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I disagree. I think February is when you want the Sidebottoms, Pendleburys and Clokes to be at their absolute best.

I get the sarcasm and agree that players should peak from mid year.
But fundamental kicking skills, under limited pressure, when you've been in training for a few months, and you don't appear to have improved the skill in a couple of seasons, is not great, especially when you are paid well to do it and should be leading by example.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
The AFL-employed journo at the match rated Varcoe our best player. No seriously, he did!

Haven't seen a replay of the game, but there seems to be plenty of love for Ben Sinclair here. He disposed well and ran hard, but how was he as a defender? How did his opponent go?

Neil I watched the game live then the replay twice and Varcoe IMO wasn't in our best 5.
Personally I thought he played sound but not overly impressive for a guy who has played so much footy.
IMO and in no particular order I thought Grundy, White, Karnezis, Fasalo, Langdon, Greenwood, Adams, Sinclair and De Goey all had clearly better games.
It is only early doors and we did play a side under strength (yes we we under strength as well) but if we can be as hard at it every week and apply the same pressure game in game out then the signs are positive.
One thing I noticed was we still got opened up down the middle several times easily and if not for good defensive work from Frosty Langdon and Sinclair we would have been under more score board pressure.
I was very impressed with De Goey's vision and skills under the pump. Twice he gave quick exact handballs in defense to players in the clear when under the pump.
Greenwood was hard at it all day and Karnezis showed why Jonathon Brown gave him such huge wraps during commentary.
Would love to see him forward with Cloke, White, Elliott, Fasalo/Goldy and a resting ruckman he could be very handy for 3/4 a game.
Elliott played more on the ball which was good to see his development and with his goal kicking ability he gives us that other scoring option.
IMO. Need Cloke to be the beast running up the ground towards wing grabbing the mark swinging onto the left and booming it in long giving our forwards quick opportunity we have enough skills up there if the ball hits the ground to get value from it.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:14 am

neil wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
neil wrote:
Some players were rusty but will improve
De Goey shows a lot of class
White did well but always does in the NAB pity about the rest of the season
Grundy was good
Varcoe has pace and can kick seems an upgrade on Young
Freeman didnt do much but is playing football so is a plus
Happy with Sinclair and Williams

Having Elliot and Fasolo up forward and one of White/Reid/Gault to help out Cloke will mean finally a decent forward line.

Bit harsh about White, there. I saw a game down at Geelong late last season where he won the reserves match off his own boot with a brilliant, no holds barred last quarter....

Sorry forgot about the Geelong match Very Happy

Did well against the Northern Blues as well playing on Waite and Watson until we ran out of interchange players and they swamped us.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:02 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
The AFL-employed journo at the match rated Varcoe our best player. No seriously, he did!

Haven't seen a replay of the game, but there seems to be plenty of love for Ben Sinclair here. He disposed well and ran hard, but how was he as a defender? How did his opponent go?

I saw the first half, some of the second, thought he was ok, but reckon it's maybe some overhanging geeeelong long love from the journos! Hopefully the umps still love him too as if he's in hoops!

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:45 pm

Flag's in the bag yeah
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I know it was only a pre season game and Hawthorn had two thirds of their team out,but i just love the look of that scoreboard.It brings back memories of distant times in the past when we used to be able to beat this mob.Let's hope we can do the same in the real stuff in the not too distant future!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 pm

It was nice to win against the Hawks albeit being a pre-season match and the fact that half of their premiership side was out of the team but we were missing Pendlebury, Swan, Cloke and Reid so we did well in the circumstances and there was a lot to like from Thursday night.

The forward line set up on Thursday was the most pleasing aspect of the match and I think they will be the key reason as to why we can play finals or not. If the likes of White, Karnezis and Fasolo all step it up this year all of a sudden our forward line looks quite potent and dangerous with Cloke and Elliott remaining constant threats in front of goal. Our predictability and reliance on Cloke and Elliott killed our season last year and it resulted in our inability to crack 100 points in many of our matches.

Great to see solid contributions from Greenwood, Crisp, De Goey, Grundy, Thomas and Kennedy who I hope will have a major contribution to how successful our side is this season. We've got a young team but there's a lot to like heading into the future.

Looking forward to seeing our second hit out against Carlton now in two weeks time in Bendigo.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:55 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

I thought Sinclair not only played well but looked like a senior player. He stood up at crucial times and I don't recall him loosing a one on one. He defended well and the longer the game went attacked strongly and most importantly accurately.

For me, Williams looked a bit off but Sinlcair and Langdon really stood up.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:38 pm

Watching the game again yesterday, I was very impressed with Greenwood. With he and Adams throwing themselves into packs, I reckon the likes of Pendles, Swan, Sidey and Freeman will find themselves with the ball and in space more than ever. Oh, and De Goey will be an absolute gun.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Just listened to a snippet from SEN earlier. While I think most Nicksters have been relatively realistic in their assessment on Thursday's game (eg. It was just a practice match against a very weak opponent) it was curious to see pretty much the only two major points they took from the game were:
- We had the highest score of the first weekend of practice games, without Cloke as part of the forward line.
- That De Goey should be played from round 1. Gave him a massive plug, saying should be in from round 1 and he'll go past so many so quickly it won't be funny.

All I can say to point 2 is WE HOPE SO!

I think they actually found more positives for the Hawks which was a little odd. They were missing 13 from their premiership side.

Kinda scary that, while we do have some talent to bring back into that side, that it's actually not that much. Here's hoping youthful enthusiasm and exuberance carries us a long long way this year!!!

Obviously the key ones missing Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Blair (gulp), Young (who knows if he'll be back), Reid (ditto), Witts - that's about it. Boy that's actually worse than I thought.

Mind you if we kick 17 goals in most games (not likely) we'll win more than we lose, that's for sure.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:03 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Just listened to a snippet from SEN earlier. While I think most Nicksters have been relatively realistic in their assessment on Thursday's game (eg. It was just a practice match against a very weak opponent) it was curious to see pretty much the only two major points they took from the game were:
- We had the highest score of the first weekend of practice games, without Cloke as part of the forward line.
- That De Goey should be played from round 1. Gave him a massive plug, saying should be in from round 1 and he'll go past so many so quickly it won't be funny.

All I can say to point 2 is WE HOPE SO!

I think they actually found more positives for the Hawks which was a little odd. They were missing 13 from their premiership side.

Kinda scary that, while we do have some talent to bring back into that side, that it's actually not that much. Here's hoping youthful enthusiasm and exuberance carries us a long long way this year!!!

Obviously the key ones missing Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Blair (gulp), Young (who knows if he'll be back), Reid (ditto), Witts - that's about it. Boy that's actually worse than I thought.

Mind you if we kick 17 goals in most games (not likely) we'll win more than we lose, that's for sure.

Cloke, Swan, Pendles, Reid and Witts is almost our entire first choice spine. Whilst we might not have had the amount of outs the Hawks had, those are some very significant additions.

Fingers crossed Blair spends the season in the twos. With the addition of DeGoey and Karnezis, I don't see a place for him anymore.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:12 pm

Stupied wrote:
Fingers crossed Blair spends the season in the twos.

LOL!! I love this bloody pathetic need on Nick's to have at least one poor scapegoat a season!! We have had various nominations in the past including Heater and Harry at one stage. Last season it was Armstrong until he did OK. Now its Blair's turn. Next season lets get really funky and get stuck into a Pendles, shall we?
These are guys who are wearing the famous black and white jumper and all you lot are doing is putting shit on them. What bloody fools some of you are. Evil or Very Mad Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: