Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. NAB Challenge - Pies smash Hawks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Blair detractors would have been gnashing their teeth had they been at training yesterday. Little Big Man was very impressive in the centre clearance drills.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:54 am

Not a detractor Neil, he is an assett at any club - I just feel that those attributes he brings are going to be surpassed, and fairly quickly too.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:05 am

droversdog65 wrote:
Not a detractor Neil, he is an assett at any club - I just feel that those attributes he brings are going to be surpassed, and fairly quickly too.

Look the trap some posters are falling into is the age old one of expecting miracles from the new, inexperienced players at the cost of the older ones. Let's face it, premierships are won by having the team mainly full of well established experienced players, not a pack of pimply arsed 19 year olds.
Blair at this stage is an experienced, established premiership player. He has to be given a chance ahead of the younger ones to ply his stuff. If he is in great form, then he continues to be picked on merit ahead of others. This process should be the same for just about every well established player.
The young ones can be left to earn their stripes in the VFL. They have time to establish themselves. Rolling Eyes

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:50 am

Watching the highlights of the game last week, that was a mighty impressive run & pass by Ramsey. He was dashing down the wing half forward being chased down by a very fast Hawthorn player & kicked it centre meter perfect for Fasolo to mark & kick for goal. Mighty impressive.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:37 am

I think it's time to let the Blair question drop Laz, lets get on with the thread eh?

Agreed tully on Ramsey, surprised me with that dash and execution.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Lazza you're talking as if Blair was a standout in the last few years and merits automatic selection because of it.

The truth is he's been average/poor for the last two seasons after a good 2012 and he needs to perform to maintain his spot. Simple as that.

We should embrace being a club where you have to earn your spot rather than being selected on reputation and past services rendered, as that will automatically mean we are a stronger and more competitive club and prevents complacency and a general malaise (which I think has been apparent in 2013-14) creeping in.

Blair himself benefitted from that when he broke into the side at the expense of some more established stalwarts in 2010 and maintained his spot due to excellent form and becoming a premiership player resulted.

I will agree that Blair isn't the only one who needs to lift though. After last season, with a couple of exceptions, there are more than a few positions up for grabs this year. The challenge is on everyone to step up their performances and that is how it has to be.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:27 pm

The fact that others were preferred over Blair for our first NAB game spoke volumes given he hasn't had any injury issues I'm aware of and has had a full preseason.

Getting 10 possessions in our intra club game when players like De Goey, Kennedy and Freeman got twice that wouldn't have helped his case either.

Given a healthy list Blair shouldn't play many senior games this season if Buckley doesn't play favourites once again in season 2015.

Blair has been ineffectual for two seasons now IMHO.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:22 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
I think the Blair detractors would have been gnashing their teeth had they been at training yesterday. Little Big Man was very impressive in the centre clearance drills.

If you're referring to me, I think I've been pretty clear that I'm not a Blair hater or detractor.

Good on him if he is impressing. More power to him if he cuts it up this year. Going on last years form though, he needs to watch his back.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:45 am

No I wasn't referring to you Stupied; there are plenty here who think Blair's days are numbered and they may be right. I'm not so sure. People sometimes have blinkers on when it comes to certain players and rose-coloured-glasses for others. I include myself in that assessment BTW.

Kyle Martin had plenty of support in Nick's over the past few years. Even last year there were people still saying he was worth keeping on the list.

Blair cops more criticism than he deserves. Yes, his output in 2014 was down in most measurable areas but looking a little closer, his year wasn't so bad. His tackling pressure was excellent as was his goal assist stat.

Tackles Clearances Cont Poss 1%s Goal Assists
2010: 52 - 21 - 80 - 15 - 10 -
2011: 94 - 50 - 190 - 28 - 18 -
2014: 112 - 38 - 159 - 18 - 13 -

I've taken the stats from Blair's first 2 years (both Grand Final years) and last year for comparison. And yes, they look like the player is on the slide or perhaps, going through a form slump.

Now compare Blair to his teammates in 2014.

BLAIR Club Ranking
Tackles: 2nd Pendlebury 1st
Goal Assists: 3rd Pendlebury 1st
Cont. Poss: 6th Pendlebury 1st
Clearances: 9th Beams 1st
Disposals: 15th Pendlebury 1st

One things is certain, if Pendles goes down for any length of time, we're stuffed.

In the areas where he would be expected to be leading the way (tackles, contested possessions and goal assists) Blair rates highly. He's not the only player who dipped last year and if his training is anything to go by, he'll do OK in 2015. I think his experience will be crucial this year.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:41 am

It's very difficult to have high clearance numbers & contested possession numbers when he is playing mostly forward & not as a midfielder. Blair has had some problems adapting to the small forward role we have asked him to play. He is a natural in & under midfielder & always has been. Needs to clean up his disposal by foot, but he still has a role to play this season & beyond.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
No I wasn't referring to you Stupied; there are plenty here who think Blair's days are numbered and they may be right. I'm not so sure. People sometimes have blinkers on when it comes to certain players and rose-coloured-glasses for others. I include myself in that assessment BTW.

Kyle Martin had plenty of support in Nick's over the past few years. Even last year there were people still saying he was worth keeping on the list.

Blair cops more criticism than he deserves. Yes, his output in 2014 was down in most measurable areas but looking a little closer, his year wasn't so bad. His tackling pressure was excellent as was his goal assist stat.

I've taken the stats from Blair's first 2 years (both Grand Final years) and last year for comparison. And yes, they look like the player is on the slide or perhaps, going through a form slump.

BLAIR Club Ranking

One things is certain, if Pendles goes down for any length of time, we're stuffed.

In the areas where he would be expected to be leading the way (tackles, contested possessions and goal assists) Blair rates highly. He's not the only player who dipped last year and if his training is anything to go by, he'll do OK in 2015. I think his experience will be crucial this year.

Yes Neil, but you're relying on actual statistics.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:32 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

BLAIR Club Ranking

FFS Neil using facts in a discussion about Blair.
While I am not a fan I am happy for him to stay in the side on form and any player that could replace him do so by being so standout they deserve the spot.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:53 pm

So Brisbane have now played two games, Hawthorn plays tomorrow and we have to wait until Sunday week to play the scum.

Crap.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Anyone is shepperton , Go and tell that boofhead Dwayne Russell that we were not at full strength last week against the Hawks as generally your captain and best forward, and a brownlow medallist, would get a game. Putting Dwayne and gerbil in the same team is not helping further Australia Plus Tvs cause in Thailand.
selkevh 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:42 pm

Yep. I heard that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: