Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fasolo Goldsack and Blair, this MUST be their year.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Fasolo forward we have been lacking a small forward with some class to help out Elliot who has tonnes of it. I think he will swing more often than Ronny McKewon.

www.facebook/the hybernators
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Goldy will be very valuable as a senior player in a young/developing team. He is 28 this year so a poor year would certainly have him queried next year - but it is very doubtful his intensity will drop off - the guy knows nothing else!

Faz and Blair will need to have good years to keep their spots. Not sure abut all this one dimensional stuff - Faz did OK last year when playing off half back against Norf - calved them up and help the Pies win a good game. But with the quality of the kids such as Broomy, Freeman and De Goey coming through pushing for a small forward role the pressure is certainly on Blair and Faz to keep their spots this year.

I think Faz will step up with some injury luck - however I doubt Blair will be able to hold off Freeman by the end of the year… Blair has been fantastic with his effort but his stats are heading the wrong way and lets be fair he was not a star in the premiership team and therefore untouchable!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Faz has attacking potential and flair and as proven last year flexibility also, so not sure why he would be included. Goldy is very flexible and able to go back or forward when required. - Not so attacking - but do you think Bux expects every player to play attacking footy? Blair can play fwd then go into the midfield - limited attacking skills - but not every player can run forward of the play and kick goals e.g. Beams!

How flexible is Brown? I think he might be in trouble given his lack of attacking skills and lack of flexibility - come to think of it so would Frost as most Full Backs would be! Smile

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Blair's 1% ers need to be superseded by the 99% ers. Simple!
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 pm

yY I'm not saying any or all of them are getting the arse but for one reason or another they will all be scrutinized as I'm sure others will be.

As for Faz he has the flair but he has had other issues, not being an insider I don't know if his sojurn down back has alleviated those issues in the eyes of the coaching staff - and selection committee.

Blair is almost entirely a reactive player in that he is geared to checking an opponent rather than being creative - in this way he is inflexible.

The same - to a lesser extent - applies to Goldy.

Of course I'm sure Bux is well aware of the need for defensive types but his comments of late have hinted at a perception that we are not creative and attacking enough.

Some will be retained and others will not - such is life.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Goldsack is a good ordinary player who is very flexible in his ability to play multiple positions. He can play up forward and if we're struggling for tall timber down back he can also be an adequate player down back when he needs to be but I love Goldsack's determination at the contest and his tackling ability is first class and to be admired by our supporters. I don't think he's on notice this year if he produces what we saw in 2014. Players like him are warriors and can really help lift the whole team when they're struggling. The fact that the club has given him a spot in the leadership group suggests he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Fasolo is definitely on notice however and needs a big year to cement his future at the club. He's shown glimpses and signs that he could be a very good player for us but injuries, poor form and his general inability to grow into a more team-oriented player has hurt him. I think the Fas was quite a good player down back in the early stages of last season but if he can sort himself out and become a permanent half forward that we desperately need then he'll be a very handy player. If he has another poor year he'll be on thin ice when it comes to his future status at the club.

Blair is a player with limited abilities but his work rate and ethic can't be questioned. He's not an impressive player by any means but he can lay a decent tackle and his pressure acts as a forward or midfielder are quite solid but Blair's defensive game isn't strong and he doesn't have the capabilities to be a solid defensive player. However the problem for Blair is that his height and his lack of pace means he'll never be an imposing small forward that the club is really striving to find. Last year we were bereft of small forwards and Blair failed to step up to that mantle as a small forward. I think he's on thin ice if he gets pushed out of the side but I can see him lasting on the list in 2016 even if he has an ordinary year. I still hold sentimental views of him somewhat because he was a Premiership player in 2010 so I hope he can prove his doubters wrong this year.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:26 pm

I think they all three have positives and have been of good service to the club, I just believe in light of what the coach has said that they - and others - will be under increased scrutiny.

The gameplan and team makeup are in transition, changes WILL be made. That much is crystal clear.

Bucks wants a more attacking posture - on balance - so players who don't have an attacking role are going to come under scrutiny.

It's all very well to say that players must be two way runners and have responsibility for their opponent in a defensive way but every player possible should have at least some sort of offensive capability.

Those that are viewed as purely defensive or nuetral run the risk of being left behind and those that remain in contention will probably be weighed in the balance on their ability to balance defense and attack.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 am

Jezza wrote:
Goldsack is a good ordinary player who is very flexible in his ability to play multiple positions. He can play up forward and if we're struggling for tall timber down back he can also be an adequate player down back when he needs to be but I love Goldsack's determination at the contest and his tackling ability is first class and to be admired by our supporters. I don't think he's on notice this year if he produces what we saw in 2014. Players like him are warriors and can really help lift the whole team when they're struggling. The fact that the club has given him a spot in the leadership group suggests he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Fasolo is definitely on notice however and needs a big year to cement his future at the club. He's shown glimpses and signs that he could be a very good player for us but injuries, poor form and his general inability to grow into a more team-oriented player has hurt him. I think the Fas was quite a good player down back in the early stages of last season but if he can sort himself out and become a permanent half forward that we desperately need then he'll be a very handy player. If he has another poor year he'll be on thin ice when it comes to his future status at the club.

Blair is a player with limited abilities but his work rate and ethic can't be questioned. He's not an impressive player by any means but he can lay a decent tackle and his pressure acts as a forward or midfielder are quite solid but Blair's defensive game isn't strong and he doesn't have the capabilities to be a solid defensive player. However the problem for Blair is that his height and his lack of pace means he'll never be an imposing small forward that the club is really striving to find. Last year we were bereft of small forwards and Blair failed to step up to that mantle as a small forward. I think he's on thin ice if he gets pushed out of the side but I can see him lasting on the list in 2016 even if he has an ordinary year. I still hold sentimental views of him somewhat because he was a Premiership player in 2010 so I hope he can prove his doubters wrong this year.

This sums up my thoughts here very well. The Sack seems to be the new Nick Maxwell. Obvious important qualities that the team desperately need seem to be getting overlooked because of perceived deficiencies in other areas. I note for the OP that Sydney did not catch Hawthorn by taking their most obviously talented player.

Sadly, this OP is undermined by its grouping of three very different players and seeking to treat them as one. It makes sweeping statements that is not attributed to any of them in particular as if the same comment applies to all three. they clearly do not. similarly, Buckley is not looking for offense at the expense of everything otherwise why on earth would he have sent on of the players on this list to the backline last year to work on his defensive side.

Swoop you have done a very good job of showing how different the three of them are in their stage of their careers and how irresponsible it is to generalize.

Thanks.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:32 pm

The players (in no particular order) who would be under the most pressure to perform this year, if they are to remain on our list going forward, would probably be:

Blair
Dwyer
Brown
Keeffe
Fasolo
Sinclair
Karnezis
Thomas
Gault
Oxley
Ramsey

Young will no doubt get the flick (if he doesn't retire during the year) and Macaffer will probably be kept on for 2016, following his recuperation from injury.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The players (in no particular order) who would be under the most pressure to perform this year, if they are to remain on our list going forward, would probably be:

Blair
Dwyer
Brown
Keeffe
Fasolo
Sinclair
Karnezis
Thomas
Gault
Oxley
Ramsey

Young will no doubt get the flick (if he doesn't retire during the year) and Macaffer will probably be kept on for 2016, following his recuperation from injury.

Yep, with so many kids coming through it could come down to a choice of:

Blair, Dwyer, Thomas or Fasolo
Brown, Keeffe or Oxley
Sinclair or Ramsay
Gault or Karnezis

I'd add Armstrong to Young as likely departures. Recruited for a specific purpose and not sure he'd be in front of any of the others listed.

Obviously length of current contracts will come into play but I actually like that players will be under pressure to retain their spots.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Yeah JC, I forgot to include Armstrong.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:14 pm

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Blair
Dwyer
Brown
Keeffe
Fasolo
Sinclair
Karnezis
Thomas
Gault
Oxley
Ramsey

Brown, Keeffe or Oxley
Sinclair or Ramsay
Gault or Karnezis

I'd add Armstrong to Young as likely departures. Recruited for a specific purpose and not sure he'd be in front of any of the others listed.

Unless Armstrong has a break out year in 2015.. Idea .. Rolling Eyes

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:06 pm

E wrote:
Jezza wrote:

This sums up my thoughts here very well. The Sack seems to be the new Nick Maxwell. Obvious important qualities that the team desperately need seem to be getting overlooked because of perceived deficiencies in other areas. I note for the OP that Sydney did not catch Hawthorn by taking their most obviously talented player.

Sadly, this OP is undermined by its grouping of three very different players and seeking to treat them as one. It makes sweeping statements that is not attributed to any of them in particular as if the same comment applies to all three. they clearly do not. similarly, Buckley is not looking for offense at the expense of everything otherwise why on earth would he have sent on of the players on this list to the backline last year to work on his defensive side.

Swoop you have done a very good job of showing how different the three of them are in their stage of their careers and how irresponsible it is to generalize.

Thanks.

Cheers E! However I think you've confused me with Swoop42 because of my avatar but not to worry I completely agree with your thoughts.

All three players are at different stages of their careers in terms of longevity and whether they've established themselves or not. I still think Fasolo is the one who needs to seriously step up this year or else he might be in trouble in terms of his future prospects at the club.

I think Goldy's future is safe and after our eagerness to re-sign him last year despite some tabloid speculation that he might join Port Adelaide I think that in itself is enough to demonstrate that Goldy will be here for a fair while yet on top of his promotion into the leadership group a few weeks ago.

Blair is an unknown for mine but I feel with him being a supposed favourite of Bucks he may not be given his marching orders this year even if he under performs again. He may be best suited to being a depth player if other players can force their way into the senior side ahead of him. At least he plays with some heart and is generally a team-oriented player.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Skids wrote:
Don't worry about Fasolo, the rising star nominee from 2011 has had 2 injury destroying seasons. Get ready for the Faz attack, I'm tipping him to kick 25+ goals and be a real headache for opposition defences to match up on.

I'd love you to be right Skids!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Blair
Dwyer
Brown
Keeffe
Fasolo
Sinclair
Karnezis
Thomas
Gault
Oxley
Ramsey

Brown, Keeffe or Oxley
Sinclair or Ramsay
Gault or Karnezis

Unless Armstrong has a break out year in 2015.. Idea .. Rolling Eyes

Which is why I said "not sure..." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Idea Exclamation Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: