Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fasolo Goldsack and Blair, this MUST be their year.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldsack is a vital cog in the team. The people who actually know something rate him highly.

Fasolo has it in front of him. He's no longer the talented kid, he has talented kids pushing for his spot. Competition for spots can't hurt, he has the potential to be a serious weapon.

Blair cops stick for what he doesn't do rather than what he does do. The match committee keep selecting him so he must be doing something they like, but like fasolo he will have to lift to keep the growing group of young blokes after his spot from pushing him out.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Stui everyone has their own take on things, I'm merely responding to the head coach's comments regarding a need for increased scoring and one dimensional players.

Gameplans evolve as do lists and what is immutable today can become insupportable tomorrow.

Time will tell.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 pm

A team can carry one dimensional players if they're very good at that one dimension. Fasolo isn't, Goldy may be but he's really good at what he does, Blair is the target for the younguns. He won't give away his spot, some kid will have to earn it by proving they can be more value than him.

And that's the way it should work.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Indeed they need to be exceptional in that dimension, Goldy is good but not exceptional, Fas is an unknown quantity who has the tools but appears to lack true focus and Blair appears to be roadkill at this stage.

As I said in the OP I have no problem with any of them - especially Blair and Goldy who have paid their dues, but when a club is looking to gain more attacking flair accross the board then non key positional players are looked at first as their removal doesn't harm key structures.

All three a single dimensional which the coach specifically spoke out about, plus both Blair and Goldy are basically defensive beasts which the coach has again spoken out about.

Of the three Fas is the most attacking but gives me the impression of being less than fully committed (purely from an outsiders viewpoint).

Who knows the specifics down the road?

Certainly not me.

But we have a whole flock of talented youngsters that were recruited for just exactly the type of structural and philosophical changes Buckley is talking about.

If they prove out to be worth their trades then places WILL be made for them and some of our current favourites WILL pay that price.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:48 pm

I certainly would not include Goldy in this group. He has shown a great deal of versatility for a player that some label as on dimensional. He has been the go to guy who has played in both defence and attack. Recently the team showed their confidence in him by including him in the leadership group.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
A team can carry one dimensional players if they're very good at that one dimension. Fasolo isn't, Goldy may be but he's really good at what he does, Blair is the target for the younguns. He won't give away his spot, some kid will have to earn it by proving they can be more value than him.

And that's the way it should work.

if, on the day, they play the role assigned to them by the coach/es then they should retain their spot. whatever that role is prescribed to be, most of us would not have the foggiest unless we were part of the coaching set up.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 pm

I wouldn't challenge the call on Fasolo but I reckon Goldy does provide flexibility. He is able to play both ends of the ground and provide much needed experience.

Fasolo has been pretty disappointing and I thought he may have been trade bait last November, but given the club didn't think this way, it has to be this year or never.

Blair's performances last year were below his best, no doubt about it and the stats reinforce this. Just about every measure was down, but one remained high and that was his score assists.

I agree that Gault, Thomas, Seedsman and Kennedy need to step up now also.

Sometimes it's perceived as disloyal to discuss the failings of fringe players like Sinclair, Kyle Martin and Seedsman; it shouldn't be. Footy is big business and sophisticated calls need to be made. So long as players are treated with respect by supporters and by the Club, then I don't have an issue with honest appraisal.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Ok, try this simple exercise. Would goldy, blair or fasalo get a game in one of the top six teams. Hawks, port, swans, dockers, cats, roos ??
Im not convinced Blair or fasalo would be regulars in any of those six teams.
Port were keen on goldy, so at least they had a role for him. I doubt if he would be a walk up in all of those teams.
If we are planning to climb the ladder quickly over the next couple years, then I see that climb occuring with new kids coming through rather than any of the three under discussion. Bit unfair though, we could have added six more players to this thread.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 am

Goldsack: yes. Can play tall or small, good kick, good pace, fantastic tackler, can play forward or back. Never going to be a star, always going to be in the selection mix wherever he plays.

Blair: no. Not at a top-8 club. Would be valuable in a leadership role at a no-hoper club though, bringing kids through and teaching them about effort and one percenters. Would be an asset to St Vomit, Melbourne, Footscray, Carlton, West Coast.

Fasolo: worth a rookie list spot, would either turn it on and be a big hit at the right club (Sydney?) or (more likely) be quietly delisted after a patchy season much the way that we delisted Jordan Russell.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 am

Oh really.
Stinger 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:06 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Ok, try this simple exercise. Would goldy, blair or fasalo get a game in one of the top six teams. Hawks, port, swans, dockers, cats, roos ??
Port were keen on goldy, so at least they had a role for him. I doubt if he would be a walk up in all of those teams.
If we are planning to climb the ladder quickly over the next couple years, then I see that climb occuring with new kids coming through rather than any of the three under discussion. Bit unfair though, we could have added six more players to this thread.

Godly - yes. Port were after him before he re-signed with us for less money.
Fasolo - maybe. He's coming if foot injuries, which are hard to shake. I think injury free he's in most forward lines in the comp. he certainly knows where the goals are and a year in the back line wouldn't have hurt his cause.
Blair - this is a tough one. Respect for a premiership player. Respect for a guy that plays a role for the team. If he wasn't there, we'd all be complaining about opposition small forwards kicking 3-4 goals. They don't. If only he hurt the other way and kicked 3 each game? Then there would be no issues.
Hawks have the poo. Swans mclynn. Port wingard. ?? Richmond. Edwards?
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:29 am

droversdog65 wrote:
Everyone has their own viewpoint Tully, although I never needed any magic mushrooms to support mine Wink

My current viewpoint on the team is based on the head coach's statement that we need to score more and that single dimensional players have no future in the lineup.

Goldy is a great player with some versatility but he is one dimensional.

As is Blair.

The simple fact is Bucks is apparently seeking to rebalance the side for a more attacking stance because we simply are not scoring enough.

Something has to give, Blair doesn't score enough nor does Goldy and Fas has been trialled down back.

I'm not espousing the demise of any or all, simply noting that under the head coach's publicly voiced philosophy their positions would be certainly under consideration.

Yep only one dimensional. The perfect team player. Now while that means quite a lot - since the op is <"of a bent to" - Mod.> to lump goody in with Blair - best to keep the analysis very basic.

Suffice it to say that given he does all the things bucks wants in a player and is more than capable and often did kick 2 a game often from outside 50 when team dynamic allowed him to play forward - I'm pretty sure bucks would consider him one of the first picked.....<snip>

Goldsack is somehow versatile and one dimensional at the same time too, which I thought was funny...... I also love the fact that we put simple facts followed by the word apparently in the same sentence! So what is DD. Are you stating facts or rumour???? do you even know what you are trying to say? there are about 15 on our list who are make or break seasons this year. If Goldy is on that list, then he is right at the bottom of that list......

Lumping Blair and Goldsack together is like saying Nathan Buckley and Jason Wild were basically the same because they were both one dimensional. Bucks was a little more versatile but still basically one dimensional. afterall they were both midfielders.

Bolsheviki 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:02 am

Pies2016 wrote:

2 premiership players and 1 made a GF team - none of them passed their prime. None are stars but all good players, who are IMO in our best 22.
Goldy's true worth is only realised, when he is missing. Players with his intensity and as versatile, are worth their weight in 'gold'. Blair did not have a great 2014, however suspect he may see more time on the ball. While Fasolo is simply an injury free season away from being a very dangerous forward in our team. An Elliot/Fas forward set-up would cause headaches to the best of oppositions.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:00 am

Don't worry about Fasolo, the rising star nominee from 2011 has had 2 injury destroying seasons. Get ready for the Faz attack, I'm tipping him to kick 25+ goals and be a real headache for opposition defences to match up on.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:31 am

Skids wrote:
Don't worry about Fasolo, the rising star nominee from 2011 has had 2 injury destroying seasons. Get ready for the Faz attack, I'm tipping him to kick 25+ goals and be a real headache for opposition defences to match up on.

my mail says they like fasola behind the ball.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: