Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2015 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant effort by Michael Vick to snatch victory for the Steelers in San Diego. At one stage in the last quarter, San Diego led 17:10 but on his final two possessions, Vick threw a 72 yard TD on the first play and then drove 80 yards in 12 plays to run the clock down and, with a direct snap to Bell, the Steelers stepped it over from the one-yard line. Just a very exciting effort. I wish I could have seen this.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:08 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I was listening to SEN tonight and Steve Salisbury, himself a 49ers fans, described the 49ers as the "worst team in football right now". How did it come to this - they seemed to be on the verge of world domination two seasons ago?

From a list perspective their going through a large transition due to the massive turnover of players in the offseason, naturally as a result there is a lot of confusion and a disconnect between the players on the field as most of them are used to playing with a certain group and that familiarity forms a cohesion that transcends words. Normally a team would lose a player from a position or two, the 9ers lost both their starting CB's, the best ILB in the NFL and his heir apparent plus their, now, best ILB is struggling to find his best form. The DL lost both their starting DE's both of who were unique because they were very good against the run and pass, Aldon Smith is a distant memory and we have either rookies or first year players replacing them. The only unit still intact is our safeties.

And that's just the defensive side of the ball.

Our OL lost 3 starters, one to FA, one retired, and one injured and the injury to our starting centre is the one that's hurting the most. We also lost a number of WR's (no major loss to be honest) and our former starting RB, and while he would've been a backup this season having a verteran presence like him would've been invaluable.

So in a way I agree the 9ers list is currently going through a massive roster unheaval and would certainly rank near the bottom for immediate on field talent, but I would counter that by stating the list has massive scope for improvement and could very well become a playoff team in the short to medium term if that talent does indeed come to fruition.

Added to that with a couple of strong offseasons of drafting (ILB, CB, OL, TE/TE/TE), trading and FA the 9ers could easily become a playoff team again.

As for the coaches I'll give them more time before passing comment either way as their still coming to grips with the list they have too.

The front office can get £$%$ed.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:11 am

Until I read that, I didn't realise quite how many important players had gone from the 49ers. Hopefully, they will get their act together, soon. Despite the dire predictions, they were actually good in the second half of the Giants game - it isn't like they got pumped by 40 points.

This week's FTA games are:

Cardinals at Pittsburgh (4 am Monday)

Ravens at 49ers (7.25 am Monday)

Pats at Colts (11.30 am Monday).

Today, Atlanta travel to New Orleans to pick up an easy win. Other good match-ups this round include Washington at the Jets, the Bengals at the Bills, the Panthers at Seattle (a critical game for both teams) and Giants at Eagles. The Packers take on the Chargers at Lambeau - can they get to their bye 6/0?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:06 pm

So, there's me: wrong as ever about today's game. With about 8 minutes to go, the Falcons trail the 'Aints 14:31 and, barring the 'Aints doing an impersonation of the Giants, there will be one less turn with a 100% record when the match ends (Falcons presently 5/0).

Update: Falcons lost 31:21.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:31 am

First game and my multi-bet has already bombed. The Falcons were terrible today.

Here's my predictions for this weekend:

Falcons over Saints - WRONG
Chiefs over Vikings.
Bengals over Bills.
Cardindals over Steelers.
Broncos (by 14+) over Browns.
Bears over Lions.
Seahawks over Panthers.
Packers (by 14+) over Chargers.
49ers over Ravens......power of positive thinking.
Patriots over Colts.

As for the other games:

Jets over Washington.
Titans over Dolphins.
Texans over Jaguars.
Eagles over Giants.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:17 am

I think that's about right (you should be very worried that I agree).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:18 am

49ers with two long completions lead the Ravens 13:3. Smith just completed a 72-yard TD. The Ravens may wish to think about lining up with a corner or a safety at some stage during this game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:52 am

So, the Steelers' 3rd-string QB (Landry Jones) stepped into the game in the second-half after Vick pulled his hammy and they overran the Cardinals to win 25:13. In other decided games, so far, Jets 34:20 over Washington, Vikes 16:10 over the Chiefs, Bengals 34:21 over the Bills, the Dolphins thrashed the Titans 38:10, the Texans beat the Jags and in OT, the Broncos beat the Browns 26:23 and the Lions beat the Bears 37:34.

In the live games, Green Bay leads San Diego 17:3, San Francisco leads Baltimore 16:16 (half-time) and Seattle leads Carolina 10:7, early in the third.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:49 am

In a classic case of counting chickens, the Green Bay offence decided to go to the bye half way through the second quarter. The result is that the Chargers have tied the game at 17:17 (and Rivers has the ball again). Since they last scored, the Packers have gone 2 yards in 3 possessions (for three three-and-outs). That's left the defence under siege.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:57 am

49ers 25 (xtra point to come) lead Ravens 13 (11 minutes to go), Seattle lead Carolina 23:20 with a little under 4 minutes to go but Carolina have the ball.

Meanwhile, Cobb and Jones are contemplating whether they are paid enough to run a route for Rodgers or not.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:45 am

So, the 49ers held on to win 25:20 over the Ravens. They are now level on wins with the Seahawks, who lost to the Panthers 23:27.

Meanwhile, the Packers seem to be determined to let their game go to OT. They lead 24:17 but the Chargers have the ball back at 1st and 10 on their own 43 at the 2-minute warning. The way they've played today, I don't put it past the Packers to let the Chargers win with a two-point conversion.

Meanwhile, the Colts and the Pats are up next. For those of you watching on FTA waiting for the next game, Mike Holmgren is miked up, talking to Reggie White and Brett Favre on SoundFX. I'm taping Mike to watch later, so please don't tell me how it ends....
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:47 am

Favre to Freeman and the Packers have the lead against the Vikes. Unfortunately, that was a decade ago. Right now, I have to put up with Cobb doing his impersonation of a cardboard box with the lid closed, with Rodgers tying to land it inside the box from 50 yards away.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:58 am

An the Packers finally manage to go to the bye 6:0, after a goal-line stand by the defence forced the changeover on downs (4th and goal, pass incomplete). Once again, the Packers' defence stood up when the offensive line just didn't. Rodgers was good, as was James Stark - but the rest of the Packers' alleged weapons had better spend their week off having a good, hard look at themselves if they don't want to finish up winning their division and going out in straight sets.

Really, the turning point tody was when Keenan Allen got injured for the Chargers - he had 14 receptions for 157 yards by the third quarter and, after he left the game, the San Diego offence just stalled.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:09 am

It seems to be a common problem among some of the running QBs, that the difference between their best and their worst is far too great. Vick was woeful today, and him coming off injured was arguably the turning point for the Steelers, though the Cardinals didn't help themselves by not putting the game away in the first half, and giving away way too many penalties.

As for the Ravens, it's one thing to be out of form, but to not be able to do the basics right - like forgetting to set a safety on multiple occasions, or losing 30 seconds from the final minute because you refuse (for who knows what reason) to spike the football - that's just unforgivable.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:26 pm

OK, so its 4th and 3 on your own 37, you're trailing but there's plenty of time left in the game, what do you do?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000560754/article/colts-attempt-bizarre-special-teams-fail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15   

Jump to: