Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Food.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:41 am
Post subject: Food.Reply with quote

How stupid are we in this country?

We import frozen fresh fruit grown in excrement while our farmers plow quality crops into the ground!

We send live animals to countries who then slaughter them when we could process the food here and sell it to them like the frozen fruit and veg we import ourselves! Our standards are obviously higher so our end product will be better.

It's not just about effing wages and all those lies big business uses about maximising profits it's about Governments not having the G&D to force our Food Companies into building sustainable industries that would see Australia really become the food bowl of the world! It would of course take a few years but that is where Government can help the industry as it builds on Australia's reputation for growing the best food and develop that into an export processed food industry.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:48 am

Exactly so.

There are several nasty factors at work here not mentioned so far. These include:

1: Near-complete lack of labeling law. There is no requirement for clear, obvious, human-readable labeling. It's not hard: all food should be required to be marked clearly with the country of origin and the country where the processing and packing was done. The label must be easy to find and easy to read.

1a: Advertising must include the same label information. If you advertise tinned tomatoes, you must state the country of origin and the country where they were processed.

2: Insanely slack inspection and certification systems. If you bring it in, it needs to be inspected to make sure it complies with the same hygiene and contamination standards we require local food producers to comply with. You, the importer, are responsible for the cost of that inspection, and it must be performed by an independent person or, if we allow importers to be licenced to perform their own inspections, then an independent inspector must perform random compliance checks. Independent inspectors must be truly independent - i.e., not working for the same company that imports the food, and not working for any company which is employed by them.

3: Sneaky back-door "free trade" agreements must be scrutinised much, much more carefully. Time and time again we get shafted on these, and sign away our right to make our own food safety and biosecurity laws. The current government has taken to signing agreements without even making the text of the agreement public. This allows all sorts of dodgy stuff to come in with the force of law before anyone even gets the chance to read it, let alone speak up about it.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Tannin wrote:
1: Near-complete lack of labeling law. There is no requirement for clear, obvious, human-readable labeling. It's not hard: all food should be required to be marked clearly with the country of origin and the country where the processing and packing was done. The label must be easy to find and easy to read. .

THIS does my head in - I reckon I could cut down shopping time by hours especially when I take mum if this was done!

It takes ages (with my strongest glasses) trying to find this info on the current labels and most times you cant find it so it goes back on the shelf and on to the next and the next and then stuff it!!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Australia doesn't produce enough berries to fully supply our demand for them.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:57 pm

I am currently supplying new dairy hot water units to 7 newly purchased Farms by Chinese Companies. None of the product will be for Australia. We have sold our farms off. We have closed most of our manufacturing down and that means most employment will soon be just in the service industry. We have dumbed Australia down and when doing that you decrease incomes.

No checks and Balances as we cut red tape means corporations can do as they please. Welcome to free and open trade.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Australia doesn't produce enough berries to fully supply our demand for them.

Australia could easily produce more berries, nothing simpler. It takes only a single season to get a harvest from most berry plants, with the best yields typically starting with the second season. In other words, you get results in the first season and full-scale production after just two years. With blueberries it takes a little longer, typically you harvest in the third or fourth season.

Australia has excellent berry growing country and Australian horticulturalists have demonstrated time and again that they have the ability to adapt to new crops and new methods readily.

The only, repeat ONLY reason we don't grow more berries is that the giant supermarket chains refuse to pay a fair price for them. Coles and Woolies would much rather buy cheap, low-quality, unsafe product from countries with poor health and safety standards. Not a guess, fact. If you don't believe me, look on your supermarket shelf: the proof is right there ... but bring your magnifying glasses 'coz you'll battle to read the tiny hidden print they use on the labels.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:05 pm

The labelling laws suck, so do the rules around food import.

Most people would be willing to pay a bit more for Australian produce provided the quality was at least as good as the imported,

where the local quality is so much better, it shouldn't even be a decision.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:17 pm

On a related note, does anyone remember the recent scandal when the minister took down the carefully researched new healthy eating website because of graft from the junk food manufacturers? Just another Abbott Government shocker.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-08/star-rating-website-disappears-24-hours-after-being-posted/5246990

http://percapita.org.au/media/tony-abbott-is-right-australia-really-is-open-for-business/

http://thehoopla.com.au/big-food-fight/

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/02/14/the-ministers-unhealthy-chief-of-staff-with-the-chequered-past/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:51 pm

The consumer makes the decision. The majority of us want to pay pittance for berries, so we source those berries that cost a pittance.

If the consumer wants Australian produced berries, then they have to pay for them. Coles and Woolies won't stock cheap berries if no one buys them.

partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Tannin wrote:
1: Near-complete lack of labeling law. There is no requirement for clear, obvious, human-readable labeling. It's not hard: all food should be required to be marked clearly with the country of origin and the country where the processing and packing was done. The label must be easy to find and easy to read. .

THIS does my head in - I reckon I could cut down shopping time by hours especially when I take mum if this was done!

It takes ages (with my strongest glasses) trying to find this info on the current labels and most times you cant find it so it goes back on the shelf and on to the next and the next and then stuff it!!

Depending on the sort of info you want of course, there is a website called fedup.com.au which is for people with food intolerances. It has a handy shopping list for people wanting to buy preservative and additive free staples. It saves a hell of a lot of squinting.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:32 pm

partypie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Depending on the sort of info you want of course, there is a website called fedup.com.au which is for people with food intolerances. It has a handy shopping list for people wanting to buy preservative and additive free staples. It saves a hell of a lot of squinting.

Thanks PP - I never thought about that side - it must be a nightmare for people that do have to avoid certain things for their health.

For us its about where it come from especially for mum - although I do always look for anything containing palm oil (not always easy to establish) and refuse to buy it.

They should be made to label as Tannin said - Tannin now you are semi retired could you kindly arrange this please - as soon as possible would be good Very Happy

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Sorry Morrigu, you'll have to wait till Stui goes on holidays. I believe I'm down on the god rota to fill in for him while he is away this year.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Nah, c'mon man, you've been deputised. I distinctly recall the ceremony.

Semi retired is like semi erect, neither one thing or the other, so stiffen up and get in there.

I left Thors hammer in the linen cupboard in case you need it.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Oh, you left me the hammer? Fully charged? Goodie goodie yum yum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: