Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Retrospective: Peter Daicos.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash I was priveleged enough to have seen every one of JG's games and he simply had it all. His marking in particular was just mind boggling but he was just as good at ground level.

Here was a player that could mark a ball at the peak of his leap every time, hit the ground and accelerate to full speed in three raking strides and deliver with deadly accuracy on full stretch.

Remember this was in a time when most footballers were still fairly stop start in their play.

JG was the first foretaste of a modern tall onballer that we might see today.

Astonishing for his time.

As for the thug that almost killed him and the mug copper coach who almost certainly instigated the attack - the fact that St Kilda have honoured both and enshrined their memories demonstrates just what a shit stain of a club it is.

Sorry but don't get me going on this subject. Dear old dad would have torn O'Dea's face off if he could get at him.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:16 am

The day that St Kilda dies will be a day to celebrate. We would not not have lost in 1977 and maybe 1979 if Greening played and I am sure even Greening playing a pocket role 1981. Imagine the panic if in 77 they had to cover a half forward line of Greening, Carman and Daicos. Greening would have been so good by then than they would have not noticed Carman and he wouldn't need to smack taggers. 3 players who could kick long accurate kicks with either foot.

I loved Greening as a centre but at half forward he was simply outstanding. The mutt they found to put on him had no hope. As for Daics, he also played well there where he could slot goals or simply find a target.

Thats it. I am building a time machine.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:30 am

Lol RR Greening Carman and Daicos is the forward line from heaven, but even just with Greening and Daics we could have had another 'machine' like run like in the '30's. A threepeat from 77 thru 79 was certainly possible.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 am

Except that Daics, of course, didn't play in the Seniors until '79.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:00 am

I am glad to hear that you are not Daics didn't play in the Seniors until '79.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:02 am

And neither are you.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 am

errrrmmmm neither am I how about a relevant post?
Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 pm

What a great thread!!!

I to was privileged to witness his first & last games, and most of the ones in between. And that's exactly what it was, a privilege.

I remember saying to my Dad after that first game against St Kilda; "that 35 might be OK!"

Every time I think of Daics, I smile.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Flashman wrote:
I'll never forget that classic at Vic Park in 1993 when these respective genius's put on a display at either end with Daics taking the honours with a sensational 9 goal haul to Abletts 7, in a Pies victory.

That is my all time favourite non finals game. What a match that was.

Flashman wrote:
The sense of anticipation that we Pie's supporters felt when the ball was within 20 metres of Daic's was unprecedented and unmatched.

Peter McKenna went pretty close!!!

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Agreed about privilege Doc, one of a kind our Daics - right off the very top shelf.
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:35 am

Doc63 wrote:
Flashman wrote:
I'll never forget that classic at Vic Park in 1993 when these respective genius's put on a display at either end with Daics taking the honours with a sensational 9 goal haul to Abletts 7, in a Pies victory.

That is my all time favourite non finals game. What a match that was.

Flashman wrote:
The sense of anticipation that we Pie's supporters felt when the ball was within 20 metres of Daic's was unprecedented and unmatched.

Peter McKenna went pretty close!!!

Agree 100% that when Johnny Greening was in the play your heart started skipping a beat. I saw him at Vic Park against the Roys one day - collected the pill on the outer wing, ran to the Tuddy Above All stand, three bounces around the boundary line and then kicked it from about 45 metres. It was a religious experience.
But also agree that when the great no.6 was leading it was great to be alive. Was it the first round in 1966 I think, he kicked a lazy dozen. Everyone raved about Hudson getting 150 but Macca picked up 147 one year, and he played on some tough b@stards - Wes Lofts comes to mind.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:29 am

Defender wrote:
Forget about everything else, no Daicos no 90 flag, and that's based on the entire season.

Yes but you could also fairly confidently say that about Darren Millane, Gavin Brown, the combination of Russell/Francis, Damian Monkhorst, Peter Sumich and Hawthorn lethargy (which likely resulted from the wear and tear on body and soul from playing in the greatest grand final of all time in 1989).

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:21 am

Peter McKenna went pretty close!!![/quote]

But also agree that when the great no.6 was leading it was great to be alive. Was it the first round in 1966 I think, he kicked a lazy dozen. Everyone raved about Hudson getting 150 but Macca picked up 147 one year, and he played on some tough b@stards - Wes Lofts comes to mind.[/quote]

You also remember that McKenna missed 2 games because he had state duties. Wade also kicked around 120 goals and Jezza just scraped in for a ton as well. The 2 games Pistol Pete missed were against duds that he would have kicked at least 10 goals between them on. Duds they might have been but none of them would have sunk as low as Wes Lofts, which is about 50 metres below a snakes arse. It was a bad year for full backs.

jg22 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 am

One of my favourite memories was a 1982 game against the Tigers. Rioli and Daicos "opposed" to each other in the centre. It was like watching two magicians try to out-do each other and everyone of us there was the richer for having witnessed it. No tagging, no dirty tricks, just sheer football artistry from two sublime exponents at the highest level of their craft....
uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 pm

a humble and brilliant champion was our Peter Daicos
so many unforgettable plays on the field
that brilliant reverse banana goal coming towards us as we watched high in the opposite pocket with no daylight between the posts is seared into the memory most
as it happened...
huge pressure in a big final
daics receives the handball in the pocket and off a step or two takes a shot
it's a horizontally spinning ball so from where he's kicked it must be a left foot snap?
if so it can't make a goal as there's no room and it will either hit the post, or come back into play
wait
goooooooooaaaaaaalllllllllll!!!!!!!!
only after watching a replay we realised it was a banana
how did it get through?
he created a bit more room by using his right foot
unlike the great man, what we didn't know at the time is if it hit the ground before the goal it would bend in as it bounced through
he didn't need that trick though as it sailed through having travelled no more than knee high all the way
he also defied the normal trajectory of a checkside kick that would normally swing out from the goal mouth by punching it hard to make it go dead straight
that kick changed the game forever as the across the foot kick has become standard practice
with a lot of talent, hard work, courage, good humour and imagination
Peter Daicos was a consistent match winner over the course of his career
time and time again
pure genius at work

daics goal v wce 1990.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: