Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Retrospective: Peter Daicos.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry danihers face after he kicked his first in the 1990 GF spoke volumes.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Defender wrote:
I think the most freakish thing about him were his left foot goals on the run, one goal I remember he gathered the ball at HF, had 3 bounces and launched on the left at full pace from the 50 on the boundary(under pressure), that shits not even fair.

Yeah agreed Defender

As a chess player I would liken it to a Grand Master playing a woodpusher (one who knows the moves but little else)

As you say it just isn't fair.

I've even seen him toy with opponents by first time baulking them, then double baulking them and finally stopping in his tracks at full pace. By the time the next contest came around - if the coach hadn't dragged them - they were totally freaked out and at his mercy.

In that way he reminded me of the greatest sportsman this country has ever produced - The Don.

Dad told me - and I have seen footage - of him toying with fieldsmen, in that he would pick one out and first put it past him to the right, next left, next over his head and finally straight through him, leaving the poor victim shell shocked and completely deflated.

Such things masters in total control of their performance can do

Daics was just that.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:23 pm

Defender wrote:
Terry danihers face after he kicked his first in the 1990 GF spoke volumes.

Yeah Defender TD's look said WTF???? - Here we go again!!

As you say he had been doing it all year and his opponents were half beaten before he stepped accross the boundary line at the start of the game.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Ranks as the most freakishly talented player I've seen along with Ablett Snr. Daics didn't have the amazing strength, speed and athleticism that Gazza did but what an absolute gun he was.

I'll never forget that classic at Vic Park in 1993 when these respective genius's put on a display at either end with Daics taking the honours with a sensational 9 goal haul to Abletts 7, in a Pies victory.

The sense of anticipation that we Pie's supporters felt when the ball was within 20 metres of Daic's was unprecedented and unmatched.

My favourite goal of his was in 80 or 81 in the PF against Geelong with Ian Nankervis on his tail, where he handpassed out in front to himself, gathered, shrugged off Nankervis and kicked truly. Probably kicked more brilliant goals but that one summed up the flair, confidence and belief he had in himself.

A great, great player.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah Stinga I remember Sandy saying that - was an often voiced reaction to his brilliance.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Flashman wrote:
Ranks as the most freakishly talented player I've seen along with Ablett Snr. Daics didn't have the amazing strength, speed and athleticism that Gazza did but what an absolute gun he was.

I'll never forget that classic at Vic Park in 1993 when these respective genius's put on a display at either end with Daics taking the honours with a sensational 9 goal haul to Abletts 7, in a Pies victory.

The sense of anticipation that we Pie's supporters felt when the ball was within 20 metres of Daic's was unprecedented and unmatched.

My favourite goal of his was in 80 or 81 in the PF against Geelong with Ian Nankervis on his tail, where he handpassed out in front to himself, gathered, shrugged off Nankervis and kicked truly. Probably kicked more brilliant goals but that one summed up the flair, confidence and belief he had in himself.

A great, great player.

Yeah Flash watching Gazza Snr and the master on the same footy field displaying their wares ranks as just about the best (non flag winning GF) thing I've seen on the footy field in over 50 years of watching.

On a side note I will always remember Snr's performance in the losing GF against the Hawks - a tragedy he couldn't drag them over the line.

Back again onto Daics, how often when Collingwood were down and out or when the flow of the game was turning against them did I see him lift them out of themselves and ignite the crowd - Pies fans and opposition fans alike.

One of the few Collingwood champions universally loved by all supporters.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Flashman wrote:

A great, great player.

I remember that game, pretty sure the cats got the jump on us with Ablett dominating, Little did they know the master was just warming up.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Agree,

Daics won us the flag that day. Had he not scored that goal in the first quarter, I reckon heads would have dropped, and we would have gone goalless in the quarter and the Bombers probably added 2 or 3 more.

He kicked that goal and the whole complexion of the game changed. Rowdy added one late and then that forced the Bombers to change tactics leading to he brawl and then we came out and just smothered them in the second quarter.

Thank you Daics

Last edited by What'sinaname on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

It was a great goal. A special mention should be given to the man who knocked the ball out to him and who played the greatest 45 minutes in Collingwood GF history before he was dropped by Daniher that day - one Craig Starcevich.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah what's we were looking a little flat / tentative early on but that put a sparkle in our eyes and we were off.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It was a great goal. A special mention should be given to the man who knocked the ball out to him and who played the greatest 45 minutes in Collingwood GF history before he was dropped by Daniher that day - one Craig Starcevich.

Indeed Pies4 both Crow imports were fairly prominent that day, Francis was at his road running fastest.

Another highlight was Russel running down the budgie early in the second quarter, the resulting turnover leading to a Pies goal and suddenly all the momentum was with us.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:05 pm

It did provide the spark but probably settled our nerves more than anything.

I reckon we took Essendons heart in the semi final a fortnight before. We gave them a beating and a half and exposed them badly for speed and their aging list.

We had a dream finals series (the draw against the Weagles was a blessing in disguise actually and a great battle hardening experience) and were cherry ripe going in whereas Essendon were flat as shit carters hats, slow fumbley and unsure.

Daics was an absolute key for us that year and the stand out ability wise in what was a very even but workman like team and I mean that as a compliment.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:17 pm

I've been following the Pies for more than 5 decades and in that time Ive only seen 2 geniuses play the game and that's Greening and Daics. They simply played on another plane from everyone else and seemed to bring real magic to the game. They were as much artists as they were athletes. I doubt I'll ever see another player come close to exhibiting the incredible aura they displayed. Put simply, I loved Greening and Daics. Nuff said.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:22 pm

WORD RB.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 pm

I wish I'd seen Greening more than any other Pies player (next are Gordon Coventry and Dick Lee).

The footage of him is brilliant. His balance was super, his ball handling faultless and some of those high marks he took were literally beautiful to behold.

Going by his stats alone he was already a champion and getting better and better.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1971/040919710515.html

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1972/040919720527.html

I mean individual performances like these above (and remember this wasn't the modern possession era either ) are rare and only attained by the absolute elite talents.

Such a bloody waste and Collingwood and the game in general were cheated of one of the great careers by a talentless, thug bastard (possibly on his coaches say so too). It's unfair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: