Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Retrospective: Peter Daicos.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread deoversdog.

My first memory of Peter Daicos was back in the late 70's.
When I was 7 or 8 I liked footy but wasn't really following a team. I flirted with the idea of backing the tigers mainly due to my best friend at the time being a tigers supporter.
This all changed the day Perter Daicos visited Preston Primary to run a footy clinic.
My memories of the day have become a bit hazy but I do recall Peter being very friendly with us and then he and another Collingwood player had a kick to kick and I watched in amazement at how far he could kick the ball.
After that day, well I just worshipped the Great man and promptly got a duffle coat with the 35 on the back.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Yeah swoop those duffle coats got a real working over in those days.

Len Thompson is my cousin and Bob Rose a more distant relation Thorald Merrett's shop was a local institution and my dad bled black and white. In those circumstances there was never any doubt where my heart belonged.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Daicos was one of our greatest players Didak is a pale reflection of how good Daics was.

Daicos did have weaknesses his defensive game was poor even back then nowdays he would get roasted for it. He was not fit foot injuries and the semi professional nature of the game back then the cause. His inside game poor and wasnt a good tackler.

In todays fully professional game having proper treatment for his injuries and the engine to play we would be comparing him favorably to Gary Abblett Jnr.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:13 pm

Even before his first game his reputation was building as Louie kept plugging him big time in The Army Reserve Cup played at the Sth Melbourne ground on Sundays, which it seemed the Pies seemed to get a quite a few games telecast. Remembering also that Ronnie Richards was coach.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:26 pm

neil wrote:
Daicos was one of our greatest players Didak is a pale reflection of how good Daics was.

Daicos did have weaknesses his defensive game was poor even back then nowdays he would get roasted for it. He was not fit foot injuries and the semi professional nature of the game back then the cause. His inside game poor and wasnt a good tackler.

In todays fully professional game having proper treatment for his injuries and the engine to play we would be comparing him favorably to Gary Abblett Jnr.

Agreed Niel.

I've had many an argument about defensive versus offensive players with other people over the years and Daics is the perfect example of a player that thought defense was what went around the deground.

He didn't have a defensive bone in his body but my oh my could he tear an opposition team apart.

It's all very well to talk about two way running and accountability but some players - very few - are simply above it.

Daics was one such.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Just loving these posts about the mercurial Daics.
Thanks for introducing such an uplifting topic, Drovers Dog.
As for John Greening... probably the greatest football tragedy of all time.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Once in a generation player.

How long is a generation?

Who's our next one?

Are we there yet?

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:34 pm

I still wonder some times if I will ever see another player who gives so much enjoyment. Simply there has been no one else who has lived up to Daic's entertainment value. I really miss him after all this time. He simply was incredible. I used to wonder how scared oppo supporters were of him spoliling their day. He was so dangerous around goal. If you think of the small forwards of now no-one compares. He kicked miraculous snaps, took one handed marks, drilled torps from sixty and made opponents look like fools. The game slowed down for him. There was times where he made the other players look like children. No other player has made me laugh so much with his outrageous feats of brilliance. It was simply a sight to behold. He was the ultimate match winner.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:56 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Once in a generation player.

Who's our next one?

Are we there yet?

The wait continues.....

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Forget about everything else, no Daicos no 90 flag, and that's based on the entire season.

You like this.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Defender wrote:
[quote="FrankieGoesToCollingwood"]Once in a generation player.

Who's our next one?

Are we there yet?[/quote]

The wait continues.....
It could be any length you make generation .
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:12 pm

Defender wrote:
Forget about everything else, no Daicos no 90 flag, and that's based on the entire season.

Agree Defender he was simply that good.

Any team would be a 5 - 7 goal a game better team with him in it.

The goals he kicked

The goals he set up

The havok he wrecked with opposition white boards

And the sheer fear factor he evoked in opposition players was worth that much - if not more.

I've never seen a player capable of double baulking as easily as he since or before - by that I mean making an opposition player cover a baulk he never intended to complete and then sailing serenely on.

I've seen him baulk players with an eye movement, a hand movement or even a simple shift of balance.

His balance and body positioning, combined with his game feel and field positioning were supremely developed, as was his feeling for tempo.

By tempo I mean the flow of the game, he never seemed to waste effort at the wrong time or in the wrong position. But by god if the opposition lost touch with him he would always make them pay and pay dearly.

I've been watching the pies since mid 60's and no one - with the possible exception of John Greening had a fraction of his skillset.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:55 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Defender wrote:

Agree Defender he was simply that good.

Any team would be a 5 - 7 goal a game better team with him in it.

The goals he kicked

The goals he set up

The havok he wrecked with opposition white boards

And the sheer fear factor he evoked in opposition players was worth that much - if not more.

I've never seen a player capable of double baulking as easily as he since or before - by that I mean making an opposition player cover a baulk he never intended to complete and then sailing serenely on.

I've seen him baulk players with an eye movement, a hand movement or even a simple shift of balance.

His balance and body positioning, combined with his game feel and field positioning were supremely developed, as was his feeling for tempo.

By tempo I mean the flow of the game, he never seemed to waste effort at the wrong time or in the wrong position. But by god if the opposition lost touch with him he would always make them pay and pay dearly.

I've been watching the pies since mid 60's and no one - with the possible exception of John Greening had a fraction of his skillset.

The Master!!

Drew Morphet: "Here's the magician, 3 kicks, 3 goals!!"

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

I think the most freakish thing about him were his left foot goals on the run, one goal I remember he gathered the ball at HF, had 3 bounces and launched on the left at full pace from the 50 on the boundary(under pressure), that shits not even fair.

You like this.
Stinga 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Daics was the greatest entertainer of all time, brilliant centreman and even more brilliant forward. Could do anything with a football and more importantly did so in big games when needed (esp 1990). Loved how he raised it a level in H&A games when Ablett or Lockett were in the opposition. My all time favourite player and probably would have won a couple of brownlows if it wasn't for injuries. Had the honour of meeting the great man a few times through work and he's a humble champion bloke as well. God bless him!

PS. The "slung goal" as well as the Richmond/Keays one may have also been the Bears/Gastev goal when he kicked a lazy 13. I think Sandy Roberts' words were "don't tell me he's kicked it, I will not believe it".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: