Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Social media and public shaming

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:32 pm
Post subject: Social media and public shamingReply with quote

I thought this was a really good article.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/21/internet-shaming-lindsey-stone-jon-ronson

Quote:
Lindsey and Jamie had been with Life (Living Independently Forever) for a year and a half before that trip. Life was a residence for “pretty high-functioning people with learning difficulties”, Lindsey said. “Jamie had started a jewellery club, which was a hit with the girls. We’d take them to the movies. We’d take them bowling. We heard a lot from parents that we were the best thing that ever happened to that campus.”

Off-duty, she and Jamie had a running joke: taking stupid photographs, “smoking in front of a no-smoking sign or posing in front of statues, mimicking the pose. We took dumb pictures all the time. And so at Arlington [the national cemetery] we saw the Silence And Respect sign… and inspiration struck.”

Lindsey posed in front of it, pretending she was shouting and swearing – flipping the bird, and with her hand to her open mouth. “So,” Lindsey said, “thinking we were funny, Jamie posted it on Facebook and tagged me on it with my consent, because I thought it was hilarious.”

Nothing much happened after that. A few Facebook friends posted unenthusiastic comments. “One had served in the military and he wrote a message saying, ‘This is kind of offensive. I know you girls, but it’s tasteless.’ Another said, ‘I agree’, and another said, ‘I agree’. Then I said, ‘Whoa! It’s just us being douchebags! Forget about it!’”

After that, Jamie said to Lindsey, “Do you think we should take it down?”

“No!” Lindsey replied, “What’s the big deal? No one’s ever going to think of it again.”

Their Facebook settings were a mystery to them. Most of the privacy boxes were ticked. Some weren’t. Sometimes they’d half-notice that boxes they’d thought they’d ticked weren’t ticked.

Lindsey has been thinking about that “a lot” these past 18 months. “Facebook works best when everyone is sharing and liking. It brings their ad revenues up.”

Was there some Facebook shenanigan where things just “happen” to untick themselves? Some loophole? “I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist. I don’t know if Jamie’s mobile uploads had ever been private.”

Whatever: Jamie’s mobile uploads weren’t private. And four weeks after returning from Washington DC, they were in a restaurant, celebrating their birthdays – “We’re a week apart” – when they became aware that their phones were vibrating repeatedly. So they went online.

“Lindsey Stone hates the military and hates soldiers who have died in foreign wars”, “You should rot in hell”, “Just pure Evil”, “Spoke with an employee from Life who has told me there are veterans on the board and that she will be fired. Awaiting info on her accomplice”, “After they fire her, maybe she needs to sign up as a client. Woman needs help”, “Send the dumb feminist to prison”. There were death and rape threats.

“I wanted to scream: ‘It was just about a sign,’” Lindsey said.

By the time she went to bed that night, at 4am, a Fire Lindsey Stone Facebook page had been created. It attracted 12,000 likes. Lindsey read every comment. “I really became obsessed with reading everything about myself.”

The next day, camera crews had gathered outside her front door. Her father tried talking to them. He had a cigarette in his hand. The family dog had followed him out. As he tried to explain that Lindsey wasn’t a terrible person, he noticed the cameras move from his face down to the cigarette and the dog, as if they were a family of hillbillies.

Life was inundated with emails demanding their jobs, so Lindsey was called into work. But she wasn’t allowed inside the building. Her boss met her in the car park and told her to hand over her keys. “Literally overnight, everything I knew and loved was gone,” Lindsey said. And that’s when she fell into a depression, became an insomniac, and barely left home for a year.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is Wrong but it’s the Life we live now.

Though I am not on any of the Social Media Sites just on Forums

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:21 pm

One of the worst inventions ever. Makes people isolated, addicted to the attention and always on their Facebook or whatever. Everyone had more of a 'social life' and were more connected to each other before this shit.

All that and now you can have your life ruined, forever, because of a stupid social media post. It should all be burned to the ground.

I keep a very minimal online presence now, but it took a long time to break the habit. Kids with their peer group pressures, curiosity and lack of awareness of future and consequences have no chance.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Well it is Wrong but it’s the Life we live now.

Though I am not on any of the Social Media Sites just on Forums

I don't think we need to accept it passively. Employers get away with this stuff because the law (specifically, insufficiently rigorous unfair dimissal laws) allows them to. It doesn't have to be that way.

Online harassment is much harder to police, and to be honest I don't even know where you'd start.

Personally, I just keep my Facebook profile private. No way do I want to have to put up with this rubbish because somebody somewhere doesn't like my opinion on something.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Bah. Load of complete horseshit. Try living in a small town. Try living in a closed community, such as a ship or an army platoon. Try going to school. Try having a job. On-line, you can just change your handle and life goes on. In real life shaming, you can't escape.

So people can be arseholes. Wow! What are you going to discover next, fire? The wheel?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Hard cases make bad laws. Every technology has its downside, and this is one. Personally I'm a facebook voyeur, using it to keep up with what some friends are doing and offering the odd like or word of encouragement while hardly ever posting anything. But it's a good little tool for doing that.

This case is so clearly a massive overreaction that it's not that interesting unless you are in a position to do something about it.. Noone was physically injured, and it was just a dumb thing to do. Not everyone who does something dumb is wicked. I've seen enough of life to know that already.

As for unfair dismissal laws, David, all I can say is that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Toughen these further and injustices happen easily on the other side via the small minority of obtuse and boneheaded workers and lawyers who exploit them. And you create the conditions for even more casualisation of the workforce.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:43 pm

I have my settings in private like David as well now, unless I am posting something I want everyone to see I have my list divided so there are some that don't see some posts. I have worked out that if I want my own opinion without it being trolled, or abused for it that I keep it this way.

Also prevents friends of friends commenting on something as well when I am not interested in them doing so. Some people on Facebook are better when they're not able to enter into some discussions.

A lot of the time some don't like what is posted on Facebook so I've made sure that those that have an issue do not see what is posted, like some friends are interested in sports they don't see any sports related posts, etc.

It's sad that some things posted on social media that are intended as a joke can end up pretty bad, I guess in the future they will just have to make sure they have only those who know they're not serious able to see these sorts of posts.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:57 pm

Mugwump wrote:
This case is so clearly a massive overreaction that it's not that interesting unless you are in a position to do something about it.. Noone was physically injured, and it was just a dumb thing to do. Not everyone who does something dumb is wicked. I've seen enough of life to know that already.

I know it goes against common wisdom, but I'd challenge even that. Why is it dumb to make a visual joke and post it online? Why is it smart to have a pole up your arse and/or be too unimaginative to think of doing anything like this in the first place? Why is it smart to be offended by a harmless joke?

The only thing that was silly was that she left parts of her profile public. But as far as I can tell this photo still could have gone viral if an annoyed 'friend' had posted it elsewhere with her name attached. So, I dunno.

Quote:
As for unfair dismissal laws, David, all I can say is that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Toughen these further and injustices happen easily on the other side via the small minority of obtuse and boneheaded workers and lawyers who exploit them. And you create the conditions for even more casualisation of the workforce.

I think that's a risk I'd be willing to take. As I've argued elsewhere (and won't argue here, unless people actually want to get into all that again), the culture that this sort of employer oversensitivity fosters is not just bad for workers, but bad for society in general. It has the potential to turn us into humourless drones who are afraid to open our mouths lest we say something that someone else might use against us. I don't see that as a particularly good thing.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Physically going into someone's sacred or revered place and conveying insulting gestures in defiance of its observances seems like a dumb thing to do, to me. And Arlington is that place in the US. It's even dumber to then post it in the public domain. Finally, anyone who has been the cemeteries of
Arlington, or Normandy, or Ypres , or wherever, who does not feel some human sense of humility, awe , moral anger or sorrow is lacking in imagination and feeling, in my view. But it says that this girl has some kind of medical condition, so I guess that explains it.

On the employment law issue, I'd have thought that this was arguably a prohibited ground of discrimination anyway. My point is that by trying to make the law respond to extreme cases, you will make it a serpent's coil of nonsense, to the advantage only of the vexatious, opportunistic, and litigious. I deal with this stuff more often than I'd like. The decent workers with a terrible boss usually walk away because they have the mindset to succeed somewhere else. The unreasonably entitled exploit it. Big businesses don't care too much, because they can afford the costs and their competitors have the same, so it's all passed through to the public. It's one of the many little barriers to entry that make them happy. Small firms can be disabled by a few stinking employees. Sentiment does not always make for good practical ethics.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 pm

She was actually rather lucky. If she'd pulled that same stunt in the wrong pub instead of on Facebook, she'd have wound up lying in a gutter with her head split open. That would have happened in 2014, or 1914, and probably 1814. If she'd pulled that stunt in 1614 or 1514 she'd have been burned alive at the stake, with all the neighbours looking on and gloating.

People are nasty creatures. People in groups are very nasty creatures. Always have been. Pretending that social media isn't people and rediscovering the wheel on the pages of Facebook doesn't make you a deep social thinker, it just shows how little you know about the world around you.

I'd expect a 13-year-old to make that sort of deep "discovery", not some supposedly clever, educated person writing for the Guardian. I made some equally world-shaking "discoveries" when I was 13, and just like that writer, I thought I'd unlocked some new secret that no-one else had ever thought about before. I bet you did too. That's what 13-year-olds do. The real question is why is the Guardian giving such piffle air space?

(Ans: coz it's click bait. The Guardian prints a lot of great stuff, often stuff you just can't get on lesser papers, but my word it prints some juvenile garbage on a slow day.)

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:09 am

The phenomena that Henley is describing (particularly in the first story) are very new. People assuming your identity, posting things as if they were you? That's not just weird, it's something that we've never even dreamed of dealing with before. How does that make him feel? How would that make you feel, and what could you do about it? These are legitimate, interesting questions.

Humans may not have changed, but social media has reordered the way we interact and the way we express ourselves. That may not sound like an interesting revelation on its own (and there are many articles that talk about things like this in a stupid or superficial way), but it's undeniably true. And this writer, for once, has something interesting to say about that, I feel.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:40 am

What has that got to do with doing dumb things in a graveyard and being abused for it? Nothing that I can see. Even if it did, people have been assuming other people's identities for ever. I daresay I could find examples from ancient Rome if I could be bothered looking for them. There are certainly plenty of examples from the Middle Ages. Do let me know when you discover that hot, red stuff you get from matches.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:30 am

She threw it out there. She insulted a Nations war dead and it was her own. It was her own doing. Could you imagine the uproar if one of our players, or Essendons, did something similar. Bye bye ANZAC game. If you are utterly brainless and put stuff on this or twitter etc you have one person only to blame. And it is not me. Her employee has every right to ascertain that this person does not represent the companies values.

If you want to be on these puerile social media sites that make the owners millions whilst you get nothing then more fool you. Your problem.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 am

ronrat wrote:
She threw it out there. She insulted a Nations war dead and it was her own. It was her own doing. Could you imagine the uproar if one of our players, or Essendons, did something similar. Bye bye ANZAC game. If you are utterly brainless and put stuff on this or twitter etc you have one person only to blame. And it is not me. Her employee has every right to ascertain that this person does not represent the companies values.

If you want to be on these puerile social media sites that make the owners millions whilst you get nothing then more fool you. Your problem.

I agree with the first part, not sure about getting sacked for it, unless they were wagging work!

I like Facebook, keeps me up to date, with friends to far away to visit. But I'm careful what I post. Always remeber you can never really delete anything. I've seen and had a couple of arguments over ridiculous things, so now I stick to benign personal stuff, or stuff I believe in campaigning for. And Collingwood! And my privacy settings are the highest I can get.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 pm

I have Tried Twitter and Facebook but Cancelled Accounts because of Dickhead's on there.

I only have Youtube but there still Idiots on there.

Something you have to take into account when you sign up for these things

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: