Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who needs censuses, anyway?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the census worth keeping?
Yes, it's an important record.
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Not sure, but I'm open to alternatives being considered.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
No, it's expensive and the benefits don't justify the costs.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:07 pm
Post subject: Who needs censuses, anyway?Reply with quote

I suspect I'm not the only person who had to pick my jaw up off the floor this morning:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-government-considers-axing-the-australian-census-to-save-money-20150219-13ieik.html

I was also saddened and surprised to read this:

Quote:
Canada cancelled its compulsory census in 2010 and moved to a shorter voluntary survey. Statisticians testing the new data have described it as "garbage".

New Zealand is considering replacing its census, using so-called administrative data from organisations such as the tax office to determine its population. It is also considering conducting the census only every 10 years instead of the present five.

Do we really need to have this argument? Admittedly, it's one of those things you just take for granted, and it is certainly an expensive endeavour. Would it be the end of the world if it were conducted every ten years instead of every five?

I'm not sure. But what I am sure about is that censuses matter. This article helps explain why:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/19/the-census-is-the-foundation-of-the-modern-welfare-state-no-wonder-some-want-it-gone?CMP=soc_567

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I read that wrong, I thought it said censures as in moderators, I was about to whole heartedly agree with you!

On the other, they piss me off! I got one from the office of statistics yesterday re how many people we employ. I've even rung them and told them we done, we just use sub contractors, but I still have to go online every three months and fill out the $£$%^%%$ form.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 pm

The regular census is the keystone, the one thing we learn about ourselves which makes all the other things possible. No we CANNOT learn the same things with random sample surveys. Sample surveys are great, but they can produce wildly inaccurate results unless you calibrate them against some known, certain thing, and that known, certain thing is census data.

If you are trying to run a country, the very first thing you need is accurate data, information you can rely on. That is what the census does. A government not doing a proper census every few years is like a carpenter not measuring up before he cuts his timber. Not doing the census is like "saving" money by not putting oil in your car.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Tannin wrote:
The regular census is the keystone, the one thing we learn about ourselves which makes all the other things possible. No we CANNOT learn the same things with random sample surveys. Sample surveys are great, but they can produce wildly inaccurate results unless you calibrate them against some known, certain thing, and that known, certain thing is census data.

If you are trying to run a country, the very first thing you need is accurate data, information you can rely on. That is what the census does. A government not doing a proper census every few years is like a carpenter not measuring up before he cuts his timber. Not doing the census is like "saving" money by not putting oil in your car.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing here, but if your assertions are correct, can you explain why a country like Canada which is normally sane despite being so fkn cold and having so many french, would go down that path and why NZ is considering it.

I mean, FMD, Noo Zeeland? It's not like it would cost a lot to run a full regular census, just hire one bloke, give him a moped, 2 pens and a notepad and send him off to count people.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Easy: Canada has a loopy hard-right government only marginally less insane than Abbott's mob, and every bit as focused on marginal short-term benefits with no regard for the longer view. New Zealand? Who knows? They are a weird mob. Sometimes they seem to be well ahead of the game and a lot smarter than the average western country. Five minutes later, they make a decision so ridiculous you honestly think it's a parody.

There may be other reasons I'm not aware of, but I find that the obvious jumped-at conclusion turns out to be correct at least half the time, so it's usually a good place to start..

partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 pm

The money saved from its abolition will fund data retention, which apparently nobody except the government wants.

Old census data is primary info for historians and researchers. Sites like Ancestry.com charge for providing census info.

Next they won't be building bridges and roads and curing the sick because it's too expensive
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm

Waste of money and pretty much useless. Its out of date even before the data is collated and analysed.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:01 am

partypie wrote:
The money saved from its abolition will fund data retention, which apparently nobody except the government wants.

Old census data is primary info for historians and researchers. Sites like Ancestry.com charge for providing census info.

Next they won't be building bridges and roads and curing the sick because it's too expensive

My thought too, partypie. This is pure IPA stuff, as pure as anything the government has tried to sneak past the citizenry in the last 18 months.

I don't want to be too dystopian about this, but it's also a lot easier to manipulate the public when public data isn't available. Scaremongering about Muslim invasion is easy enough even though the last census showed that they constitute only about 2% of the population; imagine if a government could just make up a ballpark figure to suit their own ends? Information is power.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 pm

David wrote:
partypie wrote:

My thought too, partypie. This is pure IPA stuff, as pure as anything the government has tried to sneak past the citizenry in the last 18 months.

I don't want to be too dystopian about this, but it's also a lot easier to manipulate the public when public data isn't available. Scaremongering about Muslim invasion is easy enough even though the last census showed that they constitute only about 2% of the population; imagine if a government could just make up a ballpark figure to suit their own ends? Information is power.

Who says the data is accurate anyway. Jedi religion anyone???

Government gets much more accurate and useful data from the tax and transfer system - data that matters not crap that no one can use for any benefit.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:51 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Who says the data is accurate anyway. Jedi religion anyone?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:00 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Waste of money and pretty much useless. Its out of date even before the data is collated and analysed.

It might be, but it's still accurate as at a point in time. That point in time data lets you make accurate historical comparisons and do trend analysis.

Even the people who say "Jedi" as a religion provide some insight.

The better your information data set to start with, the better the reporting and analysis you can do.

If someone wants to do away with an anachronistic public service system, give the AEC an overhaul and introduce some technology, getting rid of the fraking paper, pencils and all the crap that goes with it, and you could have the results within minutes of the close of polls.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Agree with that, Stui. Really no need to be using so much paper. Obviously there'd be worries about data being erased or manipulated, but it shouldn't be too hard to get around that in 2015.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Dude, if anyone was worried about data being erased, why the **** are we using pencils to vote?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:07 pm

"Religion Jedi" in fact provides a significantly more meaningful summary of a respondent's religious views than, for example, "Christian" (which could mean almost anything). It doesn't just indicate that the respondent has no religion, it also indicates roughly how important they think that is, i.e., not very. Compare with "Christian" which might mean any of a zillion sects, and any level of commitment from full-on Bible thumping all day every day right through to someone who has never been inside a church or given religion a serious thought and answers "Christian" out of vague habit 'coz Granny got married in a chuirch, probably.

In any case, the religion question is not an especially important one (though undoubtedly interesting) and not everybody answers it. The boring nuts and bolts of housing and employment and so on are the tghings we actually need to know to run the country properly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: