Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Moderation of Gina Rinehart thread in VPT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:55 pm
Post subject: Moderation of Gina Rinehart thread in VPTReply with quote

I'd like to bring this section of the Nick's BB rules to people's attention:

Quote:
Posts that are abusive, hateful or intolerant of the differences of others will be removed or edited and the posters may be warned.

Bigotry is neither funny or clever, whoever it's directed at or however deserving you think the target might be. Consider this an official warning.

Last edited by David on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Quote:
Posts that are abusive, hateful or intolerant of the differences of others will be removed or edited and the posters may be warned.

Bigotry is neither funny or clever, whoever it's directed at or however deserving you think the target might be. Consider this an official warning.

In Fairness to MYSELF the original title was "it ain't over until a certain lady sings" and that was posted at
1:41 pm
David the mod posted in said titled thread at
1.53 pm
WPT replied at
1.58 pm
I replied quoting WPT at
2.45 pm a FULL HOUR after the thread had started and you edit my post 100% issue an Official WARNING changing the title of the thread.

I find it distasteful that David you took part in the thread but see fit to then moderate said thread and issue warnings. Yes what I posted was cheeky but it was in the spirit of the thread AT THE TIME!

I'd put this in a PM but I cannot send PM's so this has to do. Idea
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:05 pm

You're mistaken in thinking that the request was solely aimed at you; your (highly offensive) post was the catalyst, but it was a general warning aimed at all posters who think that it is funny or appropriate to denigrate an individual because of their weight. You will note that WPT's post and thread title were edited as well.

As people seem to think they have carte blanche to do this every time Rinehart's name comes up, the reminder was necessary and appropriate. We would ask you to keep the rules in mind in future when posting.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:33 pm

David wrote:

Quote:

Two things:

1. When the fat lady sings is reference to the ending of an opera (in this case a soap opera). The fact that she is obese gives the title an edge.

It's not over till the obese lady sings could have been the title then David.

2. The use of the line having her killed is & remains ironic. Of course, you can say more when a person is dead with respect to your reference earlier. If you can't see or detect irony then I suggest you reconsider your role as a moderator post haste.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:39 pm

David wrote:

Quote:

So too is racism David. However, what I wrote was neither bigoted nor racist.

What 1061 posted using my stuff was offensive & ought to have been dealt with. That was bigoted.

I expect an apology for your wrong actions & false accusations.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:58 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Quote:

What 1061 posted using my stuff was offensive & ought to have been dealt with. That was bigoted.

Huh? I haven't accused you of anythingthe moderating remarks were general. I agree with you re: 1061's post, and that is what the comments about bigotry were referring to. Having said that, though, your little joke in the thread title was clearly a disparaging remark about her weight, and as such was unacceptable. And obviously joking about having her killed is over the lineyou should hardly be surprised that someone would pick that up and run with it.

Happy to discuss this further in the General Feedback thread if you like.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Here's some feedback.

To be a good moderator (IMO) the person needs to put their own biases and opinions to the side. The job is about keeping conversation on track, not being the organise, not policing their own opinions, letting debate flow even if they disagree with some of the content and only intervening when necessary.

A good Mod is like a good AFL umpire. Not noticed, has no influence on the game, only pops up when necessary.

You constantly split threads because you can, you break up another because one of your pet subjects, fat chicks, gets a run.

David, basically, you're a crap mod.

If you want to be a good one, develop the ability to step away from your own beliefs, look at the big picture and just let things go. For someone who has issues with authority, you have a very authoritarian approach to being a Mod.

And FWIW, no I don't want to be a Mod. I have to walk that balance every day at work. So when I come home and get on Nicks I can be me, I can vent , I can type bullshit, wind people up for fun and do ll the stuff I couldn't do if I had the responsibility of being a Mod.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:34 pm

Stui, I didn't write the rules; I merely interpret them. Mocking and belittling someone because of an attribute beyond their control (race, sex, sexuality, etc.) is prohibited on this forum for good reason. I make no apology for upholding those rules.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the way I moderatelikely, you're not aware of most of what I actually do; but that's beside the pointbut I'm sure you'll respect that I'm not moderating for your benefit alone. I'm happy to take constructive critique and feedback, but "you're a crap mod" is hardly useful.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:46 pm

Sorry David I'm sure it is not an easy job - but you really are currently too heavy handed and seem to be applying your own moralistic interpretation of posts with an distinct authoritarian attitude.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 pm

David wrote:
Stui, I didn't write the rules; I merely interpret them. Mocking and belittling someone because of an attribute beyond their control (race, sex, sexuality, etc.) is prohibited on this forum for good reason. I make no apology for upholding those rules.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the way I moderatelikely, you're not aware of most of what I actually do; but that's beside the pointbut I'm sure you'll respect that I'm not moderating for your benefit alone. I'm happy to take constructive critique and feedback, but "you're a crap mod" is hardly useful.

The rest of my post contains some useful or as some would call it, Constructive advice. You can choose to focus on one sentence in my post or read the whole.

And FYI, something else to learn from, criticising how you mod is not a personal attack. If you take it personal...................

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Sorry David I'm sure it is not an easy job - but you really are currently too heavy handed and seem to be applying your own moralistic interpretation of posts with an distinct authoritarian attitude.

Ding.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:18 pm

I didn't say it was a personal attack. Please don't put words in my mouth.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:30 pm

Can anyone provide some distinct examples in which they feel my (or anyone else's) moderating has not been up to scratch?

I'll start with the two critiques in Stui's post:

1) This particular instance of moderation.

No apologies whatsoever. If someone had made a similar remark regarding someone's race, sex or sexuality, (I hope) you would have agreed with me on its unacceptability and supported its moderation. I'm sorry if you think overweight people are fair game, but they're not.

This isn't about protecting Gina. Every time you make a cruel or hateful remark about her figure, you insult every woman in the world of that figure as well. Allowing that kind of stuff on here has the potential to intimidate posters (or potential posters) and dissuade them from contributing. That is the spirit in which the Nick's BB rules have been written.

For me, that's a much more serious problem than a couple of posters not being allowed to make their hilarious fat jokes.

2) Thread splitting and merging

I do this for everyone else's benefit, so I'm happy to take feedback on this. My impression, and that of the other mods, is that users find thread derailments frustrating and distracting. Posts generally aren't getting deleted (unless they're gratuitous trolling); they're just spawning new threads. From what I've observed, this has in many cases greatly aided the flow of conversation and allowed many topics to be discussed at once, instead of one petering out because its thread has taken a sharp left turn. Once again, though, I'm happy to hear objections to this.

That's all I can think of for now. Are there any other instances of us behaving in an overbearing or authoritarian manner? Bring them up and we can discuss them.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:09 pm

David, this is about you not the mod group in general.

Are you familiar with the concept of reflection? Taking a step back and reviewing your own actions as if by a third party, seeing your actions through the eyes of someone else?

It's a great way to self moderate if you can develop the discipline, it's like a constant checking mechanism.

So, try to reflect instead of being defensive, See through others eyes if you can, why a number of people from varied demographics have issues with your moderating style.

This it's what's called constructive criticism. It can still hurt, are you mature enough to take it?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:24 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

Quote:

Huh? I haven't accused you of anythingthe moderating remarks were general. I agree with you re: 1061's post, and that is what the comments about bigotry were referring to. Having said that, though, your little joke in the thread title was clearly a disparaging remark about her weight, and as such was unacceptable. And obviously joking about having her killed is over the lineyou should hardly be surprised that someone would pick that up and run with it.

Happy to discuss this further in the General Feedback thread if you like.

I didn't even know there was a general feedback thread.

However, you posted about bigotry & Nicks rules using my post not 1061. I am not responsible for what 1061 decided to do with it.

Of course the term having her killed is way over the top even bizarre & absurd & that's what makes it funny.

Your interpretation is a literal one & frankly when you use literalism nothing is funny or mocking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: