Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rinehart goes to court over TV show

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Gates is morally worth billions of Rineharts. He founded his own business and invented something from his own mind. He's created incredibly useful tools that make nearly every workplace hugely more efficient, not least because he set a standard. And now he's using a lot of the money to try and make things better in the worst continent in the world for human development.

I'm sure along the way he offended a few monopoly laws. I don't know the details of whetehr those were good laws or not, or whether the monopoly status helped create standards and economic benefits that far outweighed any price paid. But Rinehart just appropriated vast amounts of the national patrimony, squabbled over the spoils, and condescends to lecture those with none of her privileges on their personal conduct. Give me Bill Gates any day.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 pm

I suppose the richest person on earth can do whatever he wants.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Bill Gates is morally worth billions of Rineharts. He founded his own business and invented something from his own mind. He's created incredibly useful tools that make nearly every workplace hugely more efficient, not least because he set a standard. And now he's using a lot of the money to try and make things better in the worst continent in the world for human development.

I'm sure along the way he offended a few monopoly laws. I don't know the details of whetehr those were good laws or not, or whether the monopoly status helped create standards and economic benefits that far outweighed any price paid. But Rinehart just appropriated vast amounts of the national patrimony, squabbled over the spoils, and condescends to lecture those with none of her privileges on their personal conduct. Give me Bill Gates any day.

Lets have a look at what gates is doing, the amount of money he's putting into medical work.

And then lets consider how much better the world would be if we just took all his money and gave everyone who ever used a Microsoft product $100.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Go Bill.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Mugwump, I'm sure you mean well, but you are not in possession of the facts. Gates invented a very good version (for the time) of an existing programming language, which is long since forgotten, and ceased to be of any commercial significance in the early-mid 1980s.

That's it. That is the extent of Gates inventions. Everything from that time on (certainly everything I can think of, and I've been in the industry for all that time) was copied, bought in from third parties, or of no outstanding technical merit.

No-one with any depth of technical knowledge would agree with your absurd "tools that make nearly every workplace hugely more efficient" claim. Microsoft tools have, in nearly all cases, been no better than and typically inferior to a wide range of other tools in many important respects, but have, through various frequently unsavory and provenly illegal means, often risen to market prominence.

The enormous costs inflicted on businesses around the world are incalculable. They take two main forms: (a) the extraction of monopoly pricing, and (b) incompatibilities and expensive work-arounds.

For an example of the first, consider the cost of operating software. In 1990, when there were three competing vendors of mainstream PC operating software, the OS accounted for roughly 3.5% of the average system cost - and even the very best system was incredibly primitive by today's standards. Today, after many years of Microsoft monopoly, the operating system accounts, on average, for more than 20% of the average system cost. This massive price hike - more than 600% - is entirely attributable to the monopoly pricing structure.

As an example of the second, consider the millions of hours wasted by HTML programmers around the world writing horribly difficult workarounds for the insane anti-standards Microsoft browser.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:55 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Lets have a look at what gates is doing, the amount of money he's putting into medical work.

And then lets consider how much better the world would be if we just took all his money and gave everyone who ever used a Microsoft product $100.

And then let's consider how much Rhinehart is putting into anything to benefit any other human beings ANYWHERE!

And then lets consider how much better off Africans would be if they were paid a reasonable daily wage as opposed to the $2 a day she says they are happy to work for.

Yeah that's what I thought Go Molehart!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

And then let's consider how much Rhinehart is putting into anything to benefit any other human beings ANYWHERE!

And then lets consider how much better off Africans would be if they were paid a reasonable daily wage as opposed to the $2 a day she says they are happy to work for.

Yeah that's what I thought Go Molehart!

ROFL. How did Gina get into this? Laughing

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:05 pm

Tannin wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Mugwump, I'm sure you mean well, but you are not in possession of the facts. Gates invented a very good version (for the time) of an existing programming language, which is long since forgotten, and ceased to be of any commercial significance in the early-mid 1980s.

That's it. That is the extent of Gates inventions. Everything from that time on (certainly everything I can think of, and I've been in the industry for all that time) was copied, bought in from third parties, or of no outstanding technical merit.

No-one with any depth of technical knowledge would agree with your absurd "tools that make nearly every workplace hugely more efficient" claim. Microsoft tools have, in nearly all cases, been no better than and typically inferior to a wide range of other tools in many important respects, but have, through various frequently unsavory and provenly illegal means, often risen to market prominence.

The enormous costs inflicted on businesses around the world are incalculable. They take two main forms: (a) the extraction of monopoly pricing, and (b) incompatibilities and expensive work-arounds.

For an example of the first, consider the cost of operating software. In 1990, when there were three competing vendors of mainstream PC operating software, the OS accounted for roughly 3.5% of the average system cost - and even the very best system was incredibly primitive by today's standards. Today, after many years of Microsoft monopoly, the operating system accounts, on average, for more than 20% of the average system cost. This massive price hike - more than 600% - is entirely attributable to the monopoly pricing structure.

As an example of the second, consider the millions of hours wasted by HTML programmers around the world writing horribly difficult workarounds for the insane anti-standards Microsoft browser.

Fair enough, I don't have your knowldge in that area. I'm just reflecting on my experience as a user for thirty-odd years. The integration between the browser, the OS, the office suite, and the fact that this platform is so widely shared between colleagues across different businesses, backed with visual basic for those who are inclined to peek into the hinterland, has certainly seemed highly productivity-enhancing from my point of view. Whetehr that would have happened anyway is a bit counter-factual. Didn't know how much of a new system was accounted for by the OS cost - indeed, that seems crazily steep!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:14 pm

It's shocking, and every penny of it goes overseas. I won't go into detail regarding integration and efficiency and the costs of doing business, though I could bore your arse off for a week about it if I wanted to slip into working mode on this, my day off, which I don't. Suffice to say that there the pace of progress in software development, cost, and ease of use came crashing to a standstill once the dead hand of monopoly grasped the industry by its scrawny neck in the late 1980s/ early 1990s, and it has taken us a very long time indeed to start recovering from that. A little thought experiment for you: what can you do in Word 2013 that you couldn't do in Word 97, 16 years and ... er ... six $750 upgrades later? ($750 is a typical upgrade licence cost for a business, ignoring installation, training and data conversion. Home user upgrade cost was about half to two-thirds of that until the monopoly started breaking up maybe six or so years ago with the arrival of Open Office and Google Docs. Now it's about $130 and still trending down as more and more people switch to one of the alternatives.)

But your underlying point, that not all very wealthy people are barstards, is undoubtedly a fair one. I hesitate to name examples 'coz someone will no doubt find reasons why they ain't as good as I think they are, but off the top of my head I would mention, on the international stage, Warren Buffet, and here at home Dick Smith.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Speaking of Gina, she's sold her shares in Faifax. No more can she be blamed for what they do.

Quote:
Australias richest person Gina Rinehart has launched a scathing attack on Fairfax Medias executive team while dumping more than $300 million worth of shares in the ailing publisher.

Ms Rineharts business lieutenant John Klepec said Fairfax, led by CEO Greg Hywood, had no workable plan to revitalise the company and address the declining business and circulation numbers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/gina-rinehart-dumps-300m-worth-of-fairfax-shares/story-fnniow7v-1227210991182

She gave them a fair smack on the way out but, in the sign of a smart business person, she bought the shares for 60c each and sold them for 86.75c each. That's a handy profit.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Where are you getting your biased information from, Mr Magpie? In fact, she bought them at a range of prices and has sold out at a small profit (if you just look at the raw dollar values) or at a small loss (if you compare with the standard share-price profit-loss yardstick, which is the ASX All Ordinaries Accumulation Index. (Or the very similar ASX 200 Accumulation Index.) In other words, she lost a bit.

But this was never about money. Rinehart bought into Fairfax in order to sut it down. She all but said so herself. She never cared about the money - whatever else you might say about her, even you would have to grant that she's smart enough not to buy into a dying industry in the hope of a financial miracle. It is to the great credit of the Fairfax board that they resisted her nakedly malign intentions, stuck bravely to their carter of editorial independence, and kept her from claiming a seat. They were forced to grant a board seat to a close political ally of hers, who remains in place and has done the place no favours, but her brute force attempt to shut down the free Australian press and stifle democracy failed. She has given it up now. It has cost her some humiliation (which doubtless rankles) and a few tens of millions (which is neither here nor there to someone of her gross wealth), and it would be nice to say that it has taught her that even her vast unearned wealth and phalanx of hired-gun lawyers is insufficient to shot down independent voices, but that last is probably untrue - as we speak, she will undoubtedly be hatching some other plot.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:01 pm

I don't know much about Rinehart, other than her issues in the media I watched a little of the first episode it didn't seem all that bad. I may watch the second or rent it if they release it on DVD which I assume they will.

I read about her taking them to court over it, makes me a little more interested to watch the current form of it to see what's got her upset about it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:31 am

Well it was an interesting show.

Will do some googling re her stopping the promised charity payments from her fathers will "because the company couldn't afford it" when I have time.

Be interesting to know what or who the "real Rose" is.

As for her putting off her kids inheritance, well, whatever. Sounds like they have enough to live on, and kids shouldn't expect life on a platter, so not bothered by that.

Also something for the Google list, what and how much, if any, does Gina donate too? None of my business, but before I join the haters, I'd like to know!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:18 am

She wants to lower the wages of Aussies, comparing Australians to African workers struggling to survive ultimately to boost her already obscene wealth!

GR attempts to manipulate the media and political system to increase her own power and some nicksters want to hold off on having an opinion because she might be 'donating' would that be positive thinking or naive thinking? And then there are those like stui who believe anyone with money is doing well - as if it is the ultimate gauge of success in life, mmm must be a raving lunatic right winger praying at the altar of the almighty dollar!

Oh please - the filthy rich are ripping societies apart - the bigger the wealth gap the less social cohesion - the worse off we all are - their exploding bank accounts are at the expense of all of us!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:42 am

think positive wrote:
what and how much, if any, does Gina donate too? None of my business, but before I join the haters, I'd like to know!

The IPA. Big-time IPA sponsor.

http://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2014/05/31/abbotts-faceless-men-the-ipa/1401458400

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-24/hamilton-the-shadowy-world-of-ipa-finances/3849006

http://reneweconomy.com.au/2014/plimer-leads-ipa-fund-raising-push-for-new-climate-denial-book-36586

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/bid-to-out-the-money-behind-the-voice-against-climate-change-20120126-1qjfp.html

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/09/06/institute-of-liberal-party-policy-what-the-ipa-will-get-from-abbott/

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Institute_of_Public_Affairs

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/institute-of-public-affairs-calls-for-the-abolition-of-the-minimum-wage-20140406-366ve.html

http://www.phonytonyabbott.com/blog/tony-abbott-and-why-we-should-be-concerned-about-the-institute-of-public-affairs-policies

http://www.readfearn.com/2012/02/monckton-rinehart-and-a-plan-to-capture-the-australian-media/

http://johnquiggin.com/2014/03/28/climate-denial-and-the-decline-of-the-ipa/

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 am

"A US study by Merrill Lynchs private banking arm this year found that, in two out of three cases, family wealth did not outlive the generation following the one that created it. In 90 per cent of cases, it was exhausted by the end of the third generation illustrating the clogs to clogs adage."

edit: Link hit a paywall, the above quote was from it. I'll link something else instead.

https://www.wealthcounsel.com/Free-Resources/Why%20Most-Families-Lose-Their-Wealth-by-the-Third-Generation/

She has done very well to grow an inherited fortune, the majority do not. If she manages to teach any of her children to act in the same way then her family will have done better than 90% of wealthy families and kept their wealth past the 3rd generation. She is an exceptionally astute businesswoman and should be seen as such. Any other value judgements I'll leave to others, I don't know the woman at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: